Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 24 January 2015
Karen Chance's writing and Dorina's series just get better and better. I loved this book which is absolutely packed with ideas, enough for three normal books. The book races along and at times it almost felt like too much and I had to keep putting it down for a minute to think about what had just happened. But then I couldn't bear not to continue reading and picked it up again!

Really interesting character development of both Dorina and Mircea, a convincing fantasy world, an interesting plot, lots of thrills, humour, sexy intervals and an engaging love interest for Dorina. What's not to like. Definitely a five star read.
on 17 October 2012
Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it and really liked learning more about Dory's dhampir nature. I also loved the character development as we saw her relationship with both Mircea and Louis-Cesare grow and deepen. Why only 4 stars then? Well for me, it was only in the last third of the book that it really started to suck me in. The first third to half was too much action and most of it irrelevant. I found myself flicking through page after page of fight scenes and was frankly bored and wanted the story to move on. I'm a big fan of both Chance and urban fantasy generally, but I need the leading characters to get more time if I'm to truly invest. This is a long book, but some of it felt like padding. I felt similarly about sections of 'Curse the Dawn' and she brought it back on track for 'Hunt the Moon' so here's hoping that Chance can do the same for Dory's story.
on 21 October 2012
Hi,

First time i have written one of these but i always make a point of reading review before I buy any books and i just really want to say BRILLIANT. For anyone who has not read Karen Chance i would say get out their and buy her books she is a great writer who clearly puts a lot of time into the story and her characters. I got so excited when i saw this book was finally released (a dance was done in the book shop).

As for the book it was great cause we finally got to find out more of Dory's back story with her father and of course LC. But it is also really great how Claire is still about and how other great characters eg Marlowe have not been lost, which can sometimes happen when a story is as fast pace as this one was.

Can't wait for the next installment.
on 10 January 2015
Another great book by this very talented author. I am a great fan of the Cassie Palmer series and although it has taken me a while to getting around to read the Dorina books I can gladly say they were well worth it. Both series have good strong characters in them and you will find some characters are the same in both series so they go hand in hand with each other. I would love to see more books in both series
on 6 February 2013
I bought this as soon as I could in paperback to go with the previous two books from the collection.

Wow. Chance has a powerful way with words and captures the imagination of the characters perfectly, especially Dory.

Enchanting, sexy, powerful.

Read the previous two books or you'll spoil the series for yourself/won't understand much!

Highly recommend!
on 24 October 2014
Dory finds herself still working for daddy and the Senate. She discovers that he did something to her brain when she was a child to save her life. Dory finds herself in the middle of another faction of the war. Louis Caesar is still in hot pursuit and dory doesn't feel she deserves him. Also, dory meets cassie and finds herself in a muddy field, dressed in a bedsheet after she is rude to her!
on 7 April 2013
I've read both Chance's Cassie Palmer series and her Dorina Basarab books, and I have to say, of the two, Dorina's books have stolen my heart. There's something about Dorina that is so compelling you can't put the book down. This book doesn't fail to please. It was enthralling from beginning to end, as have all the others in this series. I strongly recommend this book.
on 1 December 2012
Karen Chance simply gets better and better as a writer. This book is the best thing she's ever written (and I thought her last book, Hunt the Moon, was her best too).

The books clock in at 536 pages, and none of it feels like padding or filler. Everything builds toward a conclusion that I never saw coming in a million years (though thankfully no cliffhanger ending!) The pacing of the book is perfect too. It doesn't quite have the frantic, rollercoaster-ride feel of some of the Cassie books, but it never drags either, which is impressive for a work of this length.

The story is set amidst the ongoing war with the Black Circle and the challenges for the empty seats on the North American Senate. Dory is working on the Senate task force in trying to stop the smuggling of weapons and other even less salubrious items from Faerie. Familiar characters from the previous books pop up again, including Ray (now with his head firmly attached to his body) who plays quite a large role in the story (who knew Ray was a 'hacker' LOL!) The luscious Louis-Cesare is there too of course, and he has made his mind up on what he wants in his future, even if Dory is not so certain. There were a couple of quite lovely moments between them, including one where he is 'little spoon' which I thought was so poignant.

We also get much more information on Dory's history with Mircea, and some details are quite revelatory. I usually look at Mircea's actions with a very cynical eye, but he was everything a father could be in this book and I felt quite warm towards him by the end. We learn a lot about Dory's two 'sides' and I'm really interested to see where Karen Chance will take this in future books (especially given the ending!)

There's tons of humour throughout the book, as usual, with several laugh out loud moments. (And *spoiler alert* a very amusing little scene with a certain lady friend of Mircea's!!)

A lot of questions about Dory were answered in this book, but it also sets the scene for the ongoing war, which I assume we'll pick up on in the next Cassie book. I cannot wait!
on 29 January 2013
I really like this series the main character is strong but not self absorbed. The story rolls on nicely and we get to see more character development. Read it in one sitting and my only complaint is that the wait for the next book will kill me. If you like action, suspense and a little bit of romance this is for you.
on 16 May 2013
I love all of Karen Chance's books, but this series in particular. At times I found myself laughing out loud (especially when an over loud orgasm results in a dragon throwing her lover through the wall!), but Dory is also kick ass, determined and resourceful. I thoroughly enjoyed these books.