on 2 October 2011
I bought this in the hopes of finding out exactly how much electricity some of the devices i have use. Well, it certainly did the job and then some. Not only did it tell me how much my TV etc was using but it also gave me an odd realisation at how inefficient some devices were. My 21 inch HD ready TV was using 100 Watts by itself. This was more than my big computer in general usage. Playing around with the backlight option on my TV, i managed to reduce the power consumption by 40 watts (playing with the contrast and brightness got it close to what it looked like before but these don't affect the amount it uses). Not only that, I realised that backlit screens of any device (laptop, netbook, TV, pc monitor) could use this same energy saving tactic. The big tip here is any screen you have that uses a backlight option, reduce the setting to as low as comfortably watchable because you can make massive savings on this alone. I've also reduced my laptops power consumption by 20% and my gaming computer (slight performance impact) by 30%. I'm now saving at least £5 a week on electric (was spending near £20 before).

This device has been a great money saver, it's really easy to use and will have paid for itself in 2 weeks for me and provided great insight into how much electricity specific devices actually use and with a bit of messing about with settings on some devices, massive savings are possible
on 11 July 2011
This certainly gives lots of information about power consumption, but some of what it gives needs some explanation (like power factor)and that is not forthcoming anywhere on the literature or the website. The leaflet is just enough to use it - just. The blurb on their website says 'plug it in, set the cost and the time, and off you go' fine, except it isn't clear how you set the time. The website is poor with broken links and misspellings. There's an apparently very useful page called 'Ask George' in the support section, but when you click on the link it says 'coming soon' - looks like George is out to lunch. A very good product spoilt by bad support.
on 23 September 2011
Does exactly what it says on the tin,
the instruction leaflet is a bit on the vague side but it's easy enough to follow
it works fine and shows all you really need to know

if there was a way to reset the clock it would get 5 stars
I bought this device to learn how much computer my PC and peripherals use up when powered up, and when in standby. I plugged this into the wall socket, then attached an 8-way surge protector which connects to my devices.
The instructions aren't great (a tiny slip of paper), but you can't break anything on the device and its easy to figure out anyway.
Once you've set up the device and told it how much you are charged per kWh (you'll need this info from your electricity provider), the unit monitors a load of useful figures - volts, watts, amps, highest/lowest watts, and cost.
You don't have to input the cost per kWh, but it's worth the effort.
Using it I've discovered that it is indeed the same price to send my computer into hibernation than it is to shut it down fully, except from hibernation it starts ten times faster. On that basis alone the Esocket will have paid for itself in a few weeks!
It has a few small disadvantages such as it won't work without power (no battery backup), and you can't connect it to the PC to use with monitoring software. But, for the price, you get exactly what you need.
77 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2013
good product, easy to use, does just what it says it does. Setting the time isn't straight forward, as stated in other reviews, but since it automaticly times the total legth of time the electrical device being monitored has been used for, it's not a problem. Once you've got all the data you want on the 1st device you want to monitor, you just reset and move on to the next.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 September 2012
very happy with this purchase. No problems understanding the simple setup instructions that actually only amount to setting the current time and the cost you pay per kwh. Even if you didnt set these items simply plugging the unit in shows you the current power draw along with cumulative total and maximum power requirement during the time it was running. Unit is very easy to read. The only problem i have had with this item is due to its size you can place this in a multiple socket where another plug goes alongside it, since it will protrude enough to the sides to prevent the next seperate socket being usable.
on 16 August 2013
When first plugged in the first thought was "Oooo lots of numbers...". Followed by "The plug in smelly thing uses 36 watts!!!!" Moving my head down to the socket proved there was a decimal point in there but also showed the display doesn't have a very good viewing angle...

Unplugged it, went to try another socket and device and the numbers had all gone... Ok, p'raps the internal backup battery needs charging. Left it plugged in for longer this time (after resetting the clock and electric cost again). Then found it was still showing total usage from the last device, a kettle. This meant I wouldn't be able to work out how much the computer used over time. Reset it? Couldn't work out how to reset just the usage figures. The instructions were useless in that regard. There is a small hole with reset written over it. This however resets the whole device, time, energy cost and all....

After inputting the current time and cost again(...) I left the monitor alone for a few days to let it work on the average computer power usage. When I came back the display was blank despite being plugged in and switched on. That's how it stayed even after being moved to different sockets.

That, then, was the end of that...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 February 2013
I bought this to check out the power and total energy use on new heat pumps I have installed around my house (Mitsubishi MSZ-FD25 air to air). It works well, and the heat pumps take around 400W most of the time (giving 2kW plus of heat out). I like the big clear display (though not the green trim), much better than on my other device (PL10053 make unknown bought on Amazon), but dearly wish that the basic display showed power (W) and total energy so far (kWH) simultaneously. Instead you get Time (top row), Cost (middle) and either kW, kWH, V, A, or PF, which have to be cycled round, on the bottom display. I like to think in terms of kW and kWH since costs vary constantly with energy prices.

A good point is that the kWH reading goes up to 9999kWH, unlike the other one which cycles round and round on reaching 99kWH - every few days on a heat pump.

The Power Factor on the heat pumps reads 400W 77%, which is interesting as it reads 400W 100% on the other meter! I tried a halogen heater (basic resistive load) and got 400W 99% on this unit, 411W 100% on the other which is fine. Tests on a Bosch Freezer gave 75W 59% on this unit but 38W 32% on the other! Without rigging up lab tests I cannot say which is correct, but tend to think it is more likely this one. Power factor is an interesting thing these days, because low power factor can mean (traditionally) that current is out of phase, as is likely on the freezer induction motor, or that current is drawn only for part of the cycle and is not sinusoidal, as is likely on the (converter technology) heat pumps and many electronic devices. Do these meters cope with both I wonder? Do they really do proper RMS calculation throughout the cycle? I tried a 6W LED lamp as a test of low power resolution, result 5.7W 100% this unit and 7W 100% other unit. Pretty good! so I'm back to thinking the freezer and heat pump discrepancies are down to differing power factor measurement, and that this unit gives the more believable result.

A year on, with five of these permanently monitoring my air to air heat pumps, I have to report that they have all crashed repeatedly in the same way - the kW reading goes to zero until I press reset and then it starts registering again. I assume that the crash also stops the registering of kWh. Pressing reset also resets the cumulative kWh, so this is a big nuisance if you want long-term kWh readings. I still find it useful for monitoring the kW consumption, as an indication of heat pump performance.
on 26 August 2011
I found this an excellent product, especially at the price. I saw earlier reviews regretting the lack of a battery backup, but my version (bought in August 2011) does have some battery backup. In fact it was difficult to eg change the cost per unit, because when you unplug it the cost is retained now. You can reset ALL the data in the socket by pressing a button though. For the price this as I said is an excellent product, though I agree (as others have said) that the supplied instructions are rather too brief. When I looked at the Efergy website to try & understand the product better, the downloadable operations manual for the socket was for an earlier version, but I rang Efergy and they were very helpful on the phone. Be aware that this is not really very suitable for monitoring a product for a very long period, because the number of digits for the monitoring period (in hours) is rather restricted, but I bought it to see how much my fridge/freezer is costing me, and the monitored cost over say 3 weeks is very interesting. Highly recommended!
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2013
I am surprised that no-one else who gave this device glowing reviews picked up on this fundamental design shortcoming. Namely, it will NOT (as it claims to do) give you a forecast of energy consumption over, say, one year for consumers that do not operate continuously; and that includes e.g. kettles, heaters, fridges, freezers, dishwashers, table lamps and anything else that switches off from time to time either manually, or under thermostat control. Even if it is left plugged in and energised. The reason is that it it only records time when it is passing current; so your annual consumption forecasts for a kettle will be based on it running at 3kW for 365 days 24 hours per day! Hardly useful!
Further, unit cost can only be entered to the nearest whole penny (e.g. £00.14), whereas it is typically charged as a fraction of a penny (e.g. £00.138
I have confirmed the above with the manufacturer.
Further, as others have stated, the display is great (nice big characters) only when viewed under good light.

So if you are happy with a well made, attractive device at a reasonable price that will give you good information on instantaneous consumption, fine.
But don't expect it to forecast costs over a year, unless you do some arithmetic yourself.