5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product
Exactly as I expected from a Samsung Product. Just plugged it in and off I went. No problems at all with burning DVDs or transferring from DVD/CD to computer.
Published on 24 Feb. 2013 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't write to disk - no support from Samsung
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black (Accessory)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great and much needed little gadget!, 16 July 2013
Needed this to download CD's into ITunes. Works a treat! No setting up required with my HP Pavillion Sleekbook just plugged it in and away we went. It is compatible with Windows 8 (info that I found hard to research before buying).

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with iMac, 23 Aug. 2013
My 3 year old iMac optical drive failed and Apple wanted £100 to replace it. This drive plugged in and worked fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome product!, 1 April 2013
Mr Reviewer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This item is the newer version of (SE-208AB /TSBS - [amzn. to/177TVI1] you may think that SE-208AB is the newer product, but I assure you...this (SE-208DB) definitely is, i got quite confused and couldn't tell the difference, but luckily for you guys, I'm here to discipline your confusion :)

If you want to know the difference between the different external writers then go to the samsung '.com' website and follow "Home >> Consumer >> PC / Peripherals >> Optical Disc Drive" or go to > bit .ly/11HZo5v < (note: SE-S084F is an older version). Now you might say "The older one has 'Speed Adjustment Technology: S.A.T', why doesn't the new one have this". To be quite honest with you, the DVD writer knows what speeds best for itself, it doesn't need the computer to interfere and to tell it what to do, this 'Speed Adjustment Technology: S.A.T' is what causes failures and so on. Its also worth noting that the slower you write your data on to a CD/DVD the more reliable and accurate it will be (less mistakes).

Now we've got that cleared up... I personally thought it was difficult to find all the different colours of this item, because they aren't all grouped together like some of Amazons products [amzn. to/19yxUlI] so I thought I would take the courtesy to list them for you.
Blue - [amzn. to/14Avob1]
Black - [amzn. to/14AvtLG]
White - [amzn. to/13KixAg]
Red - [amzn. to/11ECNBC]

Performance - This item loads CD/DVD's Faster than my computers CD/DVD Drive

Colour, Design, Material - 4 main colours for this item, The design is very unique and the item feels incredibly light, Material is very "anti-dust" if you know what I mean, and it doesn't leave any smudges when you touch it.

Complaints about the "eject" mechanism of the drive are...untrue I would say, the eject button on the drive does exactly as it says, it also ejects from the right click computer command.

This External DVD/CD writer is Mac Compatible and Windows 8 Compatible, It comes with a very sturdy high quality usb cable. The box includes a CD with Nero and Cyberlink software. It comes very tightly and neatly packaged.

This drive can also be used with android tablets (it says on the box). Another thing I would like to point out is the extremely rigid build. Although it may be lightweight, it feels very sturdy and un-flimsy.

The drawer of the drive rests on the surface the writer is on, this minimises the possible damage that could be done to the drawer of the writer/drive.

Please Note: do not use a USB mini hub (a hub with multiple USB ports) or any type of USB extension cable, the writer will not function properly if you do use any one of these mentioned items, this is because these items reduce the amount of power actually being received by the writer. I would suggest you use a 'Lindy' "type A to mini B" cable like the one's mentioned below to extend the reach of the product. PS: the cable supplied with this product is pretty short (about 10 inches long). (I tried using a normal USB extension cable and the product would partially start, this was because of the limitation in power.)

This drive is compatible with USB 2.0 and 3.0. It has a 1mb buffer memory which is more than enough. The CD/DVD Writer supports all the following disc formats - (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD-RAM, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, CD+E (G), CD-MIDI, CD-TEXT, CD-ROM XA, Mixed Mode CD, CD-I, CD-I Bridge (Photo-CD, Video-CD), multi session CD 'Photo-CD, CD-EXTRA, Portfolio' ).

*The cable included with this product (SE-208DB) only uses one usb port unlike the older version (SE-208AB) which used two usb ports*

For a cable alternative I would recommend:
1m - [amzn. to/12KOIUY] or
1m - [amzn. to/10hE1rH] >> recommended

for more options go to - bit .ly/XToDeq , make sure you take out the space after 'bit'.(copy and paste the 'Part No' into Amazon to purchase a specific item)

Go checkout the Lindy website for more "type A to mini B cables", type the code in to Amazon and purchase!

*not that the review above refers to all the different coloured writers with the product code 'SE-208DB'*

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job., 16 Mar. 2013
Bought to save having to replace an internal DVDRW in my Dell PC that was playing up. Tried a cheaper version which would not power up from the USB socket and which had to be returned. This works a treat and can also be used with other laptops/tablets etc.. You get what you pay for!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTICO!, 2 Aug. 2013
It plays all the disc formats apart from Blu-ray! It's excellent. Only one warning: MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE WRITER'S POWER BOARD. Just pulling the usb out doesn't give chance for the drive to power down correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for region 1..., 20 Feb. 2013
I wanted something to watch region 1 DVD's on with out changing the code on my laptop connected to tv. Changed the region code on this to 1, plugged it into laptop and can now watch my region 1's without any hassle. Also use it for software installs on notebook without DVD drive. Ticks all the boxes for less than £21 - excellent value...

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't write to disk - no support from Samsung, 16 Oct. 2014
I have had some serious problems with my burner. I brought it to use along side my internal one, as I've put the main computer unit in a cupboard, so I wanted a small desk top one next to my monitor, this was cheap and I've always had good experiences with Samsung products. However, when using Nero 7 I couldn't get it to burn, it kept failing straight away, and I had to use my main burner instead. So I sent it back for a replacement as I thought it must be faulty. Nope, the second one did the same. So I used the software one the disk Power2Go by Cyberlink, and installed the live firmware update. Still no joy, kept getting error messages.

So, I thought it can't be the drive must be a software glitch, I tried to email Samsung, but the only place that had this product listed was Samsung Australia, I sent them my error messages, and they responded with - it seems you are emailing from over seas, please contact your local Samsung. I couldn't find the product on the UK site. So I emailed and explained. Only to be told they don't support these drives, and you had to contact a different company. What a complete pain!

So after 2 drives, emailing 3 different people, I am still no closer to getting anything to work so it went back for a refund.

Seems awfully strange as I'm running Windows 7 and I've never had these sorts of problems with burners before. But I really don't think they should be selling products that they can't support properly. It's a bad show for a large company like Samsung.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but Windows may not install it properly, 21 April 2013
I have no complaints at all with this product - it works fine and seems good value for money.

Just a note of warning - if you are buying this because your CD/DVD drive in your laptop is not seen by Windows, then there is a chance this drive won't be seen either. This was the situation I had. The Samsung drive worked perfectly when connected to another laptop, but with the laptop with the non-working CD drive Windows tried to install it but reported an installation error.

Eventually I found Microsoft FixIt ([...]) which fixed the probelm with the built in CD drive. Thereafter the Samsung drive could also be installed properly, though now of course I don't need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after return expiration :(, 5 Aug. 2014
Well, it worked until just after the return date expired. I have other Samsung products that haven't let me down but this one
clearly is bad quality. I just wish it had quit early enough to have replaced it. Now I'm stuck with a lovely high tech doorstop.
Most of the reviews were good which is why I'm rather disappointed.