4.0 out of 5 stars Feists Midkemia revisited
Another excellent installment in the Midkemia books started with 'Magician'. Old favourites like Nakor and his everlasting bag of oranges return. My brother couldn't read the Midkemia books because he found a character called Pug hard to take seriously. Get past this and you find perhaps one of the best developed Magician characters going. His ideas of his...
Published on 6 July 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Shadow of a Dark Queen
Very mixed feelings about this book. When I started, I got very involved with it, the events were very exciting and varied, the plot seemed like it was going somewhere, and the fact that most of the characters are VERY shallow didn't bother me much as I thought they would be developed further later on.

However, later on, things only got worse. The characters...
Published on 19 Jan. 2010 by Leo Topp

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Feist keeps on going.., 26 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
This book has very typed characters with complex natures. This makes the story very believeable. Also the return of very popular characters such as Pug and Nakor make it very fun and gives the reader the impression of being a part of the story. The mysterious female wizard adds a bit of suspense, because her true identity remains unknown, even at the end. I recommend it to all who have read one or more books of this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stap on your cod-piece, we're going in..., 9 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
When i first cam to read this novel i expected great things. I had began by reading the not so good 'Betrayl at Krondor'and saw the reviews in the back of that.
So, I went out and got the book. I had barely enough time to grab my sword and shield before I was thrown into a world of magians with oranges, evil lizard creatures and men with very silly names. The plot starts simple and gets gradually more twisted as pages go by. The chracters in the book are, to say the least a little stange. All seem to have a personaility, and yet at the same time not, leaving you feeling a little detached.
Despite this feist shows he knows how to write. Everything is described to the right degree and all of the dialogue is wonderfully beardy.
Now on to a conversation I had with Granda§r the dwarf.....

1.0 out of 5 stars If I hear the word SAID again I may kill myself!, 10 Oct. 2014
Michael (Burgess Hill, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just awful. I listened to this book, so perhaps its better as a hard copy. It has been written by a three year old, who has no idea about dialogue. Instead of crafted conversations between characters you have bullet point conversation all "Character name SAID". Said, said, said. If I had a £ for each time you hear it, I'd be rich. Instead its just massively grating. If the narration was better it might not have been an issue, I just couldn't tell after a while if the narrator knew he was reading such a badly written book, or was just a poor narrator, but he emphasised the word SAID every single time.

As with the dialogue, the story line feels just like a load of strung together bullet points but over explained n'th degree to flesh the book out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr K R Northmore, 4 May 2009
Mr. K. R. Northmore "AcoMara" (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
What can i say about this book. The beginning of the "Serpentwar Saga". This book will have you enthralled from start to finish, it'll leave you wanting more, and of course you will ultimately NEED to read the complete set from the Saga. The new characters from the start have you hooked, Erik von Darkmoor is the bastard child of Baron von Darkmoor who denies him his birthright, thing transpire to murder and imprisonment, then the death sentance for Erik and his faithful companion Roo, best leave it there, needless to say things don't always appear what they seem to be. A great read and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant start to the Serpentwar saga!, 14 Dec. 2007
G. Peters (London) - See all my reviews
In my opinion Shadow of a Dark Queen is one of the best book's that Feist has written. He introduces a whole host of new charecter's including the two good friend's, Erik and Roo, who play a major role.

This book is darker than previous novel's and Feist pulls it off superbly. A small band of cut-throat's are trained and sent across the ocean to Novindus to infiltrate the Dark Queen's mass horde, led by Calis and Nakor.

Its the start of another amazing series and you will not be disappointed! I only wish i could read the lot for the first time again as good fantasy fiction is hard to come by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 1 Mar. 2010
After reading the magician trilogy ,the empire and Arutha's sons books, I thought I'd have a book of much of the same which is fine. How wrong was I...
The theme remains the same, the story is compelling though the best thing are the characters.Mr Feist has been proven able to write stories of noble men and criminals alike and make heroes ( or villains ) out of them.Of all the books up till now this one took me the least time ( two and half days ) to finish and
in the end I just wanted more.If the rest of the books are this good, this will be one of the best fantasy stories I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant saga from Raymond Feist, 29 Oct. 2013
I just started The Serpentwar Saga.

Read this first book and already surrendered to the brilliance of Feist's power of taking the reader on a journey from which one really does not want to be back.

The intricate plot, the care for details, the indirect insight he provides on the characters. Feist is a master at conquering fantasy novel admirers, and laying down a path never imagined.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best reads..., 16 July 2003
This has to be one of the best reads ever! The way Feist goes into so much detail is amazing! Nothing since the Riftwar Series has gripped me as much as the Serpentwar Saga. It's good to see old characters brought back in the essence they were once portrayed in Riftwar.
Is so much better thank Tolkien in the way it keeps you coming back for more! Excellent read, and a must to all Sci-Fantasy fans!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hang on tight - this will take your breath away, 20 Jun. 2001
Only a handful of books I have ever read have kept me up till gone 2 in the morning, and then sleep came only because of exhaustion. This is one of those books. The characters are superb and for followers of the Riftwar you'll meet some old friends as well! Do not miss the opportunity to become acquainted again with the world and peoples of Midkemia - you'll not regret it. Long Live the Crimson Eagles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sheer, unadulterated brilliance, 29 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
I've always enjoyed Feist's writing, but where in the Kingdom did he pull this one from? The writing is brilliant, the characters are excellent and the story is so gripping I started taking the bus to work! The Hanging scene is totally unpredictable - in fact the whole book keeps you guessing. If you only ever read one more book, make it this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›