5.0 out of 5 stars Great ending to a Great Trilogy

3.0 out of 5 stars Though Simple & Flawed Feist Tale Continues To Engage
Published on 10 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ending to a Great Trilogy, 27 July 2001
By A Customer
I have to recommend this to anyone. I read this a few years ago and many times since then. The way Feist runs concurrent stories with the book and then brings them together in the climax is brilliant. I especially enjoy following the adventures of Pug and Thomas through the realm of the dead and the hall of worlds. This is an epic adventure and a must for all Sci Fi Fantasy readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Feist at his very best, 9 Nov 2006
D. I. Shipley "David Shipley" (KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A Darkness At Sethanon is the concluding book in the Riftwar trilogy and brings the saga, kicked off by Magician and continued by Silverthorn to a brilliant and stunning conclusion. This book is from an author at the height of his storytelling powers, and once started, simply cannot be put down. The plot is stunning in its execution and is totally gripping and fast moving. Add superb characterisation to this and you have a mix that is an out and out winner.

The story sees Pug and Tomas scouring the universe for signs of Macros The Black, the great sorcerer who they hope will be able to give them information on the true nature of 'The Enemy.' It is becoming clearer by the day that this would appear to be power behind the Morehdrel Murmandamus and his armies, and their threat to The Kingdom of The Isles. In the meantime the war against Murmandamus is being fought by characters such as Arutha, Guy, and Jimmy The Hand.
Pug and Tomas do eventually find Macros, and learn to their horror the true nature of 'The Enemy.' They also learn that not just Midkemia is under threat but the very existence of all living things....

The Riftwar trilogy features some of the best characters that Ray Feist has ever created. It established his 'eternal' characters of Pug, Macros, and Tomas and indeed these all appear to varying degrees in the following books and series concerning Midkemia. If anything though, the lesser characterisation in later books, has not been quite up to the strength of the likes of Jimmy and Arutha, and these characters have been sorely missed in these later volumes. It is of no surprise, therefore, that Feist has returned to these characters to write extra volumes about them... Enjoy then A Darkness At Sethanon, a superbly realised tale, featuring all of Ray Feist's best characters.

As a footnote, readers who look forward to seeing Feist return to this kind of superlative form are advised to pick up a copy of his latest Darkwar volume 'Into A Dark Realm.' Having read this I can only conclude that it is a return to the kind of form that Feist enjoyed during the Riftwar novels and sets the reader up for what promises to be a superb third installment. If you cannot wait for this book to be released in the US then order it now from Amazon UK, the delivery charge is worth it because you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always enjoyable, but minus the magic.., 22 May 2005
Fantasy Lore - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I found 'Silverthorne' a disappointment after the magnificence of 'Magician', so I began this third book (the conclusion to this trilogy and the finale of the Riftwar saga) with some trepidation, as well as eagerness. And my conclusion after completing this story is that 'A Darkness at Sethanon', as well as being an exhilarating ending to the series, does manage to recover some of the glorious enchantment of the first book that felt flat in the derivative second story. But by no means did this story fulfil all of my personal ambitions for this series. Despite my following downbeat comments, at no point reading this book did I lose interest in the ongoing story of Arutha, Pug, Jimmy, Martin or Tomas, in fact I felt as though the writing style and pace exceeded some the best examples of the genre.
But while it is almost impossible to fault the narrative, plotting, characters and general construction of this novel, unfortunately the story cannot help but fall short when compared to the past exploits of our heroes and in particular that spark of ingenuity and intelligence, so meticulously imagined and crafted in 'Magician'. This is undoubtedly an unfair comparison (it isn't as if I would have preferred a repetition of that first story), but it was a comparison I just could not help but make. As well as being far too short and lacking any great innovation this story also lacks some special ingredient, especially when compared to our introduction to the Riftwar Saga; the enemies don't inspire the same fear or revulsion, there doesn't seem to be as much at stake for our protagonists and the general impression is one of everyday heroes who will very obviously in the end win the day.
This book is loosely split into three sections; firstly a recapping of all that's occurred in the year since the last book, secondly an impressive, large-scale battle against the unpronounceable foe of Murmandamus and his forces and thirdly the revelations that allow the coming together of all parties to battle The Enemy. I was always interested, always gripped and always charmed by events at every stage of this story, but, but...something was missing. For me the loss was significant, despite many commendable aspects to this story. My final conclusion- definitely worth reading, but I can't imagine any follower of this series not being slightly disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Darkness at Sethanon, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Darkness at Sethanon (Kindle Edition)
A fitting end to an amazing trilogy. Every word keeps you gripped to the story. Yet again a masterpiece of literary genius. If I ever had the opportunity to meet Raymond E. Feist I would shake his hand and thank him for bringing back my love of the written word.

Davemaguire1@yahoo.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally we understand..., 10 Oct 2006
Having spent the last book (sivlerthorn) more-or-less marking time, we finally get to see the true scope of the vision begun with Magician. As a book in itself, DaS has little of the grandness of Magician, but taken together, we see the over-plot which has been shaping the events and characters of the previous books. Not the great character-building novel of Magician, but of course the major characters are now well developed. A fine ending to a polt which has now expanded from the asparations of two small boys to a fight for the future of two worlds and more. If you would like to know the "why" of much of Magician then this is for you, but ideally read it straight after the previous two so that you remember who these people are.

5.0 out of 5 stars The final story or is it ?, 8 April 2000
Read it! Simple advice is all I can give
Take it for what it is! A great Story.
This is the final book of the first series, and I am glad that others came after
Find out what happens to the worlds of Pug and Thomas in this brilliant ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb climax to exhilarating trilogy, 1 April 1999
By A Customer
A Darkness at Sethanon proves to be a masterly and consumate finale to the Riftwar trilogy. It manages to maintain the momentum of it's predesessors, Magician and Silverthorn, whilst keeping the epic narrative on course. The action and adventure is relentless as familiar and new characters are drawn towards a satisfying and exhilarating climax. This is skillful storytelling and a classic page-turner. I would highly recommend the Riftwar trilogy and I am looking forward to exploring more of Raymond Feist's stunning fantasy worlds.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 25 Mar 1999
By A Customer
enjoyed this book but I got the feeling that if I thought about it too hard I could have found loads of faults with the plot. Things seemed to happen a bit conveniently to suit. Very readable though and very enjoyable. Better than Silverthorn.

3.0 out of 5 stars Though Simple & Flawed Feist Tale Continues To Engage, 10 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This tale reminds me of individuals I have known that possessed any number of irritating habits, yet continued to retain my affection by nature of their simple and generous character. That's probably overstating the case here, but, despite Feist's tendancy towards stereotyping and simplistic narrative, I nonetheless find myself continuing to read the "Riftwar Saga."
"A Darkness at Sethanon" possesses most of the flaws that have plagued the previous books: An event driven narrative that expends little time on characterization or descriptive detail, players that are stereotypical and more characteristic of cartoons than fiction, as well as a world that to a large degree dwells within the conventional. Further, Feist is starting to show evidence of predictability. Most of this has been noted, though more stridently, by previous detractors.
However, unlike many of those, I felt this book to be the best so far in the series, and were it not for the chapters devoted to Pug and Tomas, as well as the pollyanna quality of the final chapter, I might have felt this tale deserving of a 4 star rating. Much of the story following Arutha and friends appeared to be rising above the level of the earlier tales, both in focus as well as the use of dramatic tension and an embryonic exploration through new characters beyond the often juvenile caricaturization that's dogged Feist from the beginning. Unfortunately these rudimentary advances were greatly undermined by the overblown magic and almost omnipotent powers possessed by Pug and Tomas in their portion of the tale, their bald rehash of the Grecian underworld, and the appearance of the ridiculous and incidental tigermen. What little credibility remained was decidedly discarded in the final chapter.
Yet, after all my complaints, I find myself seduced into attempting the next book. There is a straightforward, uncomplicated element of fun to Feist's writing that is, for all it's faults, rather appealing. Perhaps, as was his implied intention in the first books, he has been successful in reaching a boyish response in me that I thought long put away and forgotten. In any event, these books have provided diversion for unreflected moments. However, all the 5 star ratings are preposterous (See US site)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I ranting about this book? You bet I am!, 20 Jan 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This book is the third book in Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga (if you count Magician as one book), and picks up the story one year after the events in Silverthorn. The nighthawks are back in Krondor, and this time they intend to make certain that Prince Arutha does not escape their snare. The time for hesitation is over, and Arutha must have a final showdown with the moredhel leader Murmandamus. But, there are even bigger stakes in this contest; Pug and Thomas must quest across space and time to find the one man who knows what is going on, Macros the Black, and prepare for a battle with the ancient Enemy. There is great danger for everyone involved, and the fate of the very universe hangs in the balance!
This is a fantastic book, and is even better than the earlier books of the series! Really quickly, the author turns the heat up on the action, until it turns white hot. And, I must say that he does an excellent job of combining intense one-on-one action with great scenes of a titanic war. Am I ranting about this book? You bet I am! This is one of the best fantasy books out there, one that I highly recommend to everyone!

A Darkness at Sethanon