on 1 March 2013
An entertaining read, as with the other Jim Rogers books I've bought and read (Investment Biker, Adventure Capitalist, Bull in China). His personal story and travels are quite interesting, and I was intrigued by his move to Singapore, so it was good to see that written about in the book. While the book was interesting, engaging and enjoyable (I read it on a day off), I've felt I need to knock it down to three stars for one simple reason: while Jim Rogers argues that the West is going to hell in a handbasket (and he is probably right about that) there is very little practical advice on offer, apart from "move to China". I personally found that quite frustrating - kind of like telling someone their house is on fire and then not showing them where the fire escape is! I do hope Jim writes a more practical guide at some point in the future, although I realize that is a big ask. Still having said all that, it was a good book, not boring at all, and an entertaining read.
on 28 April 2014
I like Jim Rogers' originality and contrarian's approach to investing. I follow his public speaches and interviews regularly.This book is more like snapshots od his life accomplishements and mistakes and less an analysis of economics or investments. To that end, the complete lack of any chart, numerical example, anything that could give the reader a hint on how he approaches investing an analyzes situations is a big minus. Or at least so for readers expecting to learn from Rogers how does he go about forming his investment strategies. Rogers is a smart guy and he reminds the reader in every occasion in this book (we know he is smart, he shouldn't feel so compelled to grab every opportunity to write and say it, I find this a bit annoying). This book leaves ther reader with a rather vague idea on how to form an investment philosophy, a few broad strokes on the do's and dont's through Roger's own ventures. It is definitely not going to educate readers much, however it is true that Rogers has a talent to draw readers' attention and this is the reason I bought the book in the first place (finished it in two days). He writes in a pleasant, easy to understand way. All in all, this book is a good easy read but nothing more than that which is perhaps what it aspired to be in the first place
on 29 July 2013
the best book he has written so far, he gave a bit of background information about where he came from what colleges he went to what he studied and how he retired at 37 after 10 years trading with George . he still trades the markets lives in Singapore and has two children who have learnt mandarin. better to read it!!
on 25 February 2013
Thoroughly enjoyable, informative and entertaining. I was not let down by this or by hot commodities and will read more by jim rogers.
on 12 January 2014
Bought as a present for my son, he really enjoyed reading it, and would recommend it to anybody interested in the stock market.
on 4 July 2013
If you want to learn about Jim Rogers' life then this is the book to read. You then, as a bonus, gain an insight into his way of thinking. A must read even if just for a lesson in how to approach thinking about life.
on 27 April 2015
The first half of the booking is pretty interesting. I thought the second half drifted a little.
But again, it is too much "I did this correctly and I should be running for president".
His previous books were better.
on 7 October 2014
Insightful, thought provoking and very entertaining --The first Jim Rogers book I have read and I have just ordered 3 more .No nonsense Jim says it how it is and he has the CV to back it all up --we should all listen.
on 12 May 2013
As with all Jim Rogers' books, he hits the nail on the head...straightforward and tells it like it is...a great book....
on 8 February 2015
An amusing read, Fun to see his take on the leading lights in the 2008 crash. Bernanke, Paulson ,Bush, Obama and others presented as either villains, witless or crooks.