5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome!
This head torch is amazing!! I've been using it for nearly a year now and still going strong.

I've used it on the Everest base camp trek. Mount Fuji - night ascent, and for general use while travelling.

Published on 17 Sept. 2010 by Chaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure yet
I have just received this and although it seems bright and packaging etc perfect I am a little concerned as the casing has gaps and does not look watertight - if it rains the water can go straight through to the batteries although the packaging states water resistant. i will give it a go and see how it fares but am interested to know if anyone else has got this problem ?
Published 19 months ago by miss r m atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome!, 17 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)

I think its fair to say the Tikka XP 2 was the brightest headtorch i saw on mt fuji and the trail is literally packed with hikers! In the Himalayas it worked reliably even at extreme altitudes 5500M and -10C.

The red led is very useful for reading or using notebook keyboard if you are on a night bus or aeroplane at night and dont want to disturb fellow passengers.

The Tikka XP 2 weighs 91 grams with rechargable batteries in and is comfortable to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual Petzl high standard, 24 Oct. 2010
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
Yet again Petzl have hit the mark with their headtorches. The Tika XP2 is an LED torch that takes three AAA batteries. It is lightweight, with the batteries housed along with the lamp so there is no battery pack at the back of your head.

The elastic headheadstrap is easily adjustable and features a neat little built-in signal whistle, a nice addition.

The main white LED lamp has three outputs, first push of the button gives you maximum mode at 60 lumens, though this maximum output will fade with use as the LED is not regulated. Second push gives you a lower light, about 15 lumens and third push gives you a flashing strobe at maximum output.

Holding down the button switches to a smaller, red colured LED, first up is a steady red light, perfect for night time map reading and preserving your night vision, second press gives you a flashing red. All modes have their place and the steady state lights are augmented by a slide up lens which transforms the beam from spot to wide angle. This is a very handy feature, I wear the Tika when hiking at night and dependent on conditions either the maximum or economy white light with the wide angle lens in place gives me enough ambient light to walk around quite happily, if I need to pick out a distant feature the wide angle lens is flipped down and the spot gives good penetration to maybe a hundred metres.

If I was forced to level at criticism it would be the lumen output of the lamp, I am sure it could be boosted to twice its current level with little to no issue with battery life. Apart from that it is a handy little torch.

Oh, and by the way this does take lithium batteries which is a total godsend, you can load the torch with lithiums and leave it in a backpack out in the cold and it will work fine, try that with alkalines and see how far it gets you!

Nice little torch for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
This is a good product... bright, batteries last a long time, etc...

The only issue is the translucent body that has been used to house the torch which means that a lot of light is spilled downward toward the eyes if worn on the head or upwards if held in the hands.... I ended up having to use black insulating tape to tape the body up to prevent this happening... should I want to replace the batteries I will have to untape the unit and retape once batteries have been changed. The spilled light via the translucent body has a substantial impact on the apparent brightness of what the torch is supposed to be illuminating... the translucent body for me is a big flaw.

On the flip side, I would rather have it than not as when I go running where there are no street lights it makes all the difference... I do like it... just surprised that such a design feature/flaw exists in a product such as this.

If purchasing again, I would put greater focus into selecting a torch with a non-translucent body.

4.0 out of 5 stars The diffuser is great, the opaque casing is a mistake, 9 Aug. 2011
Andrew (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
The major benefit of the XP2 over the Tikka Plus 2 is the diffuser. Flipped up, it diffuses the light to create proximity lighting rather than an intense spot. This is, without doubt, worth the extra few quid. I tend to leave the diffuser flipped up as standard (eliminates white spot when working/reading at short distance) and then flip it down only when I need to pinpoint something in the distance. Such a great feature.

The light itself is very bright; it is brighter than the original XP. I compared it to a cheapo head torch and the XP2's economy mode was roughly the same as the cheapo on maximum. When I turned the XP2 to maximum it just made a mockery of the cheapo head torch. Good stuff.

The battery life is phenomenal. Again, it just makes a mockery of cheapo head torches. The light isn't regulated though so it will lose brightness when the batteries start to drain.

It is IP X4 rated waterproof, but, unlike the original XP, it isn't sealed. No issues myself when used in rainfall, but it's worth mentioning. Just avoid submerging in water if possible.

I note that some people have had an issue of light bleed due to the opaque casing. It hasn't been an issue for me at all. However, it might be an idea to try before you buy if you think this may bug you... particularly, if you wear glasses. Even though it hasn't caused me a problem, it was a bit of a schoolboy error by petzl. Style over substance perhaps.

Finally, the price. It may seem expensive when compared to a cheapo head torch but when compared to other quality head torches it is actually very reasonable. Remember, this is a quality item with better light, more features (diffuser, red light, and whistle), better battery life and will last for years.

Overall, a top quality, highly recommended purchase. At this price point, the lack of light regulation is to be expected; no loss of star. However, the opaque casing leaves room for improvement and may cause issues for some; therefore, a star had been deducted from an otherwise 5 star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent head torch, 5 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
This is very compact and lightweight, as well as being incredibly powerful. The design is good and it's easy to use, as well as being strong enough to withstand a considerable amount of water spashing off the roads and heavy rain. The torch is more powerful than the one on the Tikka Plus, which I had before investing in this one and that my wife still uses, and fortunately the XP2 model doesn't use up its batteries at the rate of knots. I'd say it'd be a great torch for those who use head torches frequently and do not want a great weighty thing attached to their forehead!
It's not too pricey - and I notice that it comes in a more "female friendly" purple/iris colour too so might get one like this for my wife to use when we are out on evening bike rides.
Great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding peice of kit, 6 Nov. 2010
Super plate (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
I bought this item on the advice from a friend who told me this was the best head torch for the money. It has a flashing light, red light, sharp and soft focus lens, tilt mechanism, whistle etc.
As I was only using it for a camping trip I did not use half of the features and would have been satisfied with something at half the price. Buy this for extreme adventures; save yourself some cash if you only need a light, get the next model down like the Petzl Tikkina 2 LED Headtorch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted., 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
I wanted a good quality head touch to use for running at night in the pennines. This involves both running through wooded area's and rocky uneven hills. The head touch on it highest setting with its wide filler provides me with plenty of light to anticipate what is coming ahead and clearly what is around me. The whole product feels of a decent quality, and I expect it will last a long time (I've had it for around 2 months).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
Bought as a present. Excellent product, very bright multi function light and appears to be well made. Very pleased and would have no hesitation in recommending.

4.0 out of 5 stars powerful, 22 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
This head-torch is more powerful than the Tikka plus, yet does not eat batteries at some brighter systems do. However it is slightly heavier and slightly more bulky than the tikka plus. It is in the power bracket of the older and considerably heavier 4.5v systems favoured by mountaineers. Whilst power from torches is difficult to compare, I have been able to off-road cycle with this at night along moderately rough tracks. Recommended for those who use head torches a lot, as opposed to those who just have one for emergencies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Petzl Tikka² XP (Sports)
I've previously had a Myo 5 belt and Tikka, so this sits between them in the range. It doesn't have the power of the Myo, though it is much more compact and it's way brighter than the Tikka. I bought if for night walking and the occasional tunnel and cave. The diffuser is simple and without it you can get a reasonably powerful beam, which is good for hunting out stiles etc.
The single button and sliding diffuser are both easy to operate with gloves on. AA batteries would have been my preference, but AAA keep the weight down.

Petzl Tikka² XP