5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding yet terrifying
Dr. Haing Ngor's book on his life is probably the most heart breaking account of Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge. When I picked it up I literally read it in one go. And so will you. It is an amazingly absorbing story.

Starting off with his childhood, I found it amazing that a teenager as rebellious as Ngor nevertheless makes it into medical school and becomes a...
Published on 12 Jun 2005 by Thomas Koetzsch

3.0 out of 5 stars information
an excellent book very interesting but very heavy going as it describes an unbelievably hateful and tragic period in detail.
Published 10 months ago by Jann

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 28 Feb 2011
This book puts you there. It is a detailed account of one mans fight. Brilliant. The best on the subject. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping book, 19 Sep 2008
L. Cooper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I could barely put this book down - a fascinating yet horrific account of life under the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. This book is a must-read for anyone considering a trip to Cambodia or wanting to learn more about the country. An account of the atrocities that occurred from a personal perspective by Haing Ngor. It's so gripping to read and yet so appalling to think that this is a true story and such terrible things have occurred within the last 30 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 28 Mar 2008
bibliobiblio (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a fascinating book. It deals with the personal experiences of the author during the horrors of the Kmher Rouge reign of terror.

It gives a first hand account of what it was like to live directly under the control and direction of the Khmer Rouge. Forced migration, starvation, imprisonment, torture, murder and all manner of deprivation are described.

The book deals with the day to day struggle to survive, and doesn't deal with the politics. In fact the author couldn't deal with the politics, because during the time of his suffering, he wasn't even aware of Pol Pot.

For a book on the history, or political history of Camdodia, chose one of David Chandler's books.

Don't miss this book if you want to know what life was like under the barbaric Khmer Rouge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 14 Nov 2004
A very harrowing and gritty read. This book tells you, in detail, about what it was like living under the Khmer Rouge regime. Haing Ngor's life did not end with peace. His life was constant, mental battle against the horrific thoughts that haunted him until his premature end in LA, where he was supposedly a vicitim of a 'mugging', though there seems to be much suspicion surrounding his murder.
Probably one of the most interesting and educational biographies, a must for anyone learning about life in Cambodia during the 70's.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most moving accounts I have ever read, 10 April 2014
This book changed my life - I read with horror the story of Haing S Ngor yet the most awful of all was that his wife died on 2nd June 1978. Reading that changed my life. That date was my 12th birthday. I was surrounded by love, gifts and cake completely unaware of what this wonderful man was going through. 20 years after reading it for the first time, this book is still with me emotionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars How intelligence creates courage, 13 Dec 2013
It is difficult to realise that the horrors of the killing fields occurred in our lifetime. Haing Ngor's account of his survival is both clinical and deeply human. After reading this astounding book I understood what he meant when receiving his Oscar for playing the role of Dith Prahn in THE KILLING FIELDS: "My best performances were over before I left Cambodia." Haing Ngor had to act (lie) his way to survival.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Survival indeed, 4 Nov 2013
D. Thomson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survival in the Killing Fields (Kindle Edition)
Read this book years ago and wanted to re- read it. One of the best quotes from the book has stuck with me for years, Family are the Glue for holding society together. Or words to that effect. Loved the book, but it made me cry. Worth reading from the historical perspective and sadly, aroudn the world, similar things are still happening in late 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning! Tears will flow., 18 Oct 2013
If you're looking to understand the reason behind the revolution of Cambodia in the 70s, then look no further. This book is an in-depth look at life under the khmer rouge regime. I have read some heart-breaking books, but this is the only one that brought tears to my eyes. I was reading a certain part in bed and couldn't sleep afterwards, for what I read was horrific and I could not get it out of my head. I've read "when broken glass floats" which I enjoyed, but it didn't contain enough information of the revolution to satisfy me. The only disappointment I have with the book, was how it tells of Haing S. Ngor's "mishap" at the beginning.
Keep your tissue beside you while reading this book, you're going to need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, compelling, brilliant, 4 Oct 2013
I read this book whilst travelling around Cambodia. This is incredibly well written, historically accurate and very moving. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in the struggle of the Cambodian people during the time of the Khmer Rouge control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Survival in the Killing Fields (Kindle Edition)
Was in Cambodia and wanted to read more about the Khymer Rouge.

The book provides a real insight to what happened. This is recent history, and is very shocking.

The book is beautifully written.

ARRAY(0xa6b55864)