5.0 out of 5 stars Best Olympic DVD coverage and amazing!!!!!
Published on 29 Oct. 2012 by Josh S

3.0 out of 5 stars Olympian feat
This is a good buy and you get a good range of discs for your money. The sporting highlights are well selected with a nice balance of interviews and big names and newbies.

They managed to edit all the games footage into a pretty decent product here, and I really enjoyed reliving the summer.

My only criticism is that they showed Oscar Pistorius's...
Published on 1 Nov. 2012 by Phoebe Caulfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Olympic DVD coverage and amazing!!!!!, 29 Oct. 2012
Having got this today (the release day) along with the Paralympic dvd London 2012 Paralympic Games [DVD] i must say i am very happy with the purchase. the opening ceremony can be watched with BBC Commentary (Huw Edwards etc) or Danny Boyle and Frank Cottrell ( director and writer). Both are worth listening to, especially the latter. also with the option of no commentary and just the stadium sound in 5.1. the day highlights are extremely well done and each day has an introduction from sue barker and each day contains the best sports of the day, including all 29 of GB's wins.

The extras such as nimrod and isle of wonder deconstructed are interesting but they aren't that long, (2-3 mins each) and two out of the 4 opening ceremony special features are just pre-cereomony stuff.

the closing ceremony is well done and edited. you can only watch it with BBC commentary though. you can't turn it off, which may be annoying for those of you who want to strangle the commentators when they speak over stuff you want to hear. Of course there are subtitles for highlights and both ceremony's for all options.

The only down side for me is the DVD Menu title screen looks like it's been made from something like iDVD. which makes the finished product look slightly lazy. which is a shame because the content is fantastic.

All in all this is a amazing buy for any olympic fanatic, sport fan, or for the person who just wants to treasure the memory of our olympic games in 2012. and i'm sure this dvd will be shown to the generations to come to relive the memory. Must buy DVD!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Bargain!, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: London 2012 Olympic Games [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Forget the amazing summer that was the Olympic Games of London 2012 for a moment (if that is at all possible!) and think about the price of £22 for a FIVE disc Blu-ray set - that is outstanding value in itself!

Throw in the fact that the content of the discs contains some of the most inspiring and heart-warming scenes that have ever been filmed on these shores and I challenge you to find a better bargain out there!

I received this set for my Birthday and have to say it is even better than I expected. All the glorious moments of the summer presented together in a chronological format and also including the outstanding opening & closing ceremonies and interviews with the amazing athletes themselves.

I don't think you can put a price on a product that makes you feel Proud to be British but the BBC have set theirs at £22 and it is an absolute bargain for over 15 hours of triumph, heart-break and heart-warming inpiration.

It is almost impossible for words to do justice to these amazing games, the inspiring atheletes and the unbelivable atmospheres that went into creating the best Olympics i have ever witnessed.

A true gold-medal offering from the BBC who have certainly gone a long way to answering some of the criticisms it has received over its sporting coverage in the past few years.

Generations will be inspired for decades to come...

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb record of an incredible event, 30 Oct. 2012
This review is from: London 2012 Olympic Games [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Brought this and have already sat through the opening and closing ceremonies - superb stuff. It doesn't say on the Amazon details but the sound is DTS Lossless (HD) 5.1 with the option to switch off the BBC commentary for the opening. There is just the DTS-HD soundtrack for the closing ceremony but I am quite OK with the BBC commentary. Major shortage of chapters which is a shame - would have been good to have the option via the popup menu to go to the part you want to but, otherwise, really pleased the BBC did such a good job in presenting such a detailed set. They could have easily put out a shortened highlights package but what you have here is much, much more. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memories, stunningly preserved!, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: London 2012 Olympic Games [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have just watched the majority of this fantastic boxed set. The picture quality on the Blu-ray version is absolutely glorious. Congratulations to the BBC for creating such a comprehensive package of all the main highlights from all the sports. It's great to see the sports shown exactly as they were broadcast (i.e. no arty video editing and intercutting and overpowering music). It's also a nice touch that they include clips of the some of the key original post-event interviews and the odd medal ceremony (albeit brief). An interesting aspect is the day-by-day chronological presentation and the several introduction clips with Sue Barker which were obviously filmed especially for this boxed set. It's a truly superb record of an amazing 2 weeks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Olympian feat, 1 Nov. 2012

My only criticism is that they showed Oscar Pistorius's historic first round 400m, but failed to show the semi final where Kirani James swapped bib numbers with him. For me, this was an emotional and meaningful moment that attracted a lot of attention and respect. Shame they didn't include it. However I know I can see that on Youtube still!

The footage of the Opening Ceremony came out better than when I watched it live. You could see more of the pixels with better aerial shots and continuity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A better edit...!, 26 Oct. 2012
MikeB (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
My pre-order for this arrived today, and I started with the opening ceremony - the main reason for buying this.

It's great to have the option of no BBC commentary (Huw Edwards + co got on my nerves on the original). Also, it does seem to be a slightly different edit, with some of the bits we missed being shown. e.g. On TV we didn't see Brunel's photograph properly, the "photos" of the servicemen, etc. - or the re-enactment of the Suffragettes at the 1913 Derby, or the miners working underground that we didn't see. Some of these can just be seen in the corners of the original BBC broadcast if you squinted hard enough.

In other words, it's the same ceremony, but with some of the rough bits fixed - understandable, perhaps, with the live nature of the original massive event.

As far as I can tell, it's pretty much all of the opening and closing ceremonies, with some sporting highlights across the other three discs. This may take some time to watch.

Wonderful stuff. Pity the sport had to get in the way. :)

[And I can't upload a photo yet to prove this is real - must be because it's before release date!]

3.0 out of 5 stars Suprised and disappointed in equal measure, 6 Nov. 2012
Mr Baines (Somewhere in the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
For me, the opening ceremony alone makes this worth the asking price. I didn't know what to expect when it started. I mean, how interesting can a series of scenes depicting pre-industrial Britain possibly be? Boy was I wrong. By the time the Olympic rings came together in a shower of sparks, my mouth was hanging open. I turned to my family. We all looked at each other in amazement. After the fourth viewing, we found the option to watch without commentary. Even better!

So why was I disappointed? Basically, some sports received the lion's share at the expense of many that were left out completely. For example, in the athletics there are almost no field events. I enjoy all of the athletics disciplines but, as usual, the BBC seems to equate "athletics" with "running". I realise that this is a highlights set and that tough decisions had to be made. I understand the need to showcase Team GB's amazing performance. But 50% of the content is devoid of sport. We have the awesome opening ceremony, and the FULL walkthrough of the athletes, but only 2.5 discs with actual sport content.

This set is called "London 2012 Olympic Games" but would be better named "London 2012 Olympic Games - Team GB and Selected Highlights". Please, BBC, release a disc set with decent coverage of all sports. The opening ceremony was great and watching the athletes enter the arena was fun, but please remember to cater for those who watch the Olympics for the sports.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2012 London Olympics DVD: Absolutely fantastic, 15 Nov. 2012
Freakystevie1 (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
An absolutely fabulous look back at the 2012 London Olympics. The set is extensive, covering everything from both ceremonies to detailed highlights of a wide variety of events. My only (very small) issue is that it mainly focuses on British atheletes. Of course it's a BBC video aimed primarily at the U.K market so I guess that's understandable. If you're a foreigner other countries do get a look in.. However in a cycling highlight they focus more on second place Victoria Pendleton (a Brit) than the winner Anna Meares (an Aussie). They've also made a few little changes in the Opening Ceremony, with James Bond & the Queen now jumping out of the helicopter at night instead of daylight which was rather noticeable during the live coverage. Another minor change which I noticed is that during the live coverage there's was a quick cut away to the Queen when the British athletes entered the stadium where she looked totally bored by the whole thing. In this package that shot has mysteriously disappeared. That little bit really cracked me up when I saw it, but it's obvious why they cut it out.

I was perhaps a little generous on the NBC highlights package. I thought for a slickly produced two hours highlights reel it wasn't as bad as other reviewers thought. Of course (no question) this is by far the superior DVD of the 2012 London Olympics and for what you get it's extremely good value as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality, 1 Dec. 2012
Gary Hansen (Parker, Az United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London 2012 Olympic Games [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am in USA. This DVD set is superb but it is recorded in PAL format which does not play on many USA spec DVD players. Given that issue, if you can play PAL DVDs this is the London Olympics coverage you want. Video quality is second to none. Camera work is excellent and there are lots of events that normally are not shown. I really cannot say enough about how good it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect souvenir, 23 Nov. 2012
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I do not have a great knowledge of sport but found the Olympics compelling both in terms of the presentation and the drama of the individual sporting events themselves. This set of discs captures both elements very well - the opening and closing ceremonies are shows in themselves, and, from a technical perspective, they are reproduced in even higher quality than the live broadcasts - both the vision and sound are better than I recall when they were live. Allowing for my scant knowledge of sport, to me, the most memorable sporting moments are all captured vividly. In addition, the coverage of the Games is balanced and truly international without being too UK centric.

To me, this is the authoritative souvenir of the London Olympics - yes, there were lots of souvenir items produced but, in my opinion (unless you were a participant and/or medal winner), nothing will recall the splendour and emotion of one the greatest shows on earth like this BBC DVD set. I suspect this DVD set will appear in a lot of Christmas stockings this year.

In summary, the nearest thing I've seen to "bottling" the excitement of the 2012 Olympics - I love it. Recommended.

London 2012 Olympic Games  [Blu-ray]
London 2012 Olympic Games [Blu-ray] by Kim Gavin (Blu-ray - 2012)