5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
This book is a fantastic resource that I expect will dramatically improve my mixing abilities. What more could you ask for than that?

I've now read the book from cover to cover. I plan to read it a second time, working through each chapter's lessons, and then I'm sure it will become a fairly constant reference in my studio after that.

I don't think...
Published on 1 May 2011 by David Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going in places; not a lot of revelations, but a very useful read
I liked the chatty style Mike Senior adopted and the organisation of the chapters, both of which made this an interesting and enjoyable read. I also liked the quality of the book; it smelled nice and you don't get that with Kindle! That said, a lot of the black and white photographs weren't up to the standard I expected from an otherwise well-produced tome...
Published on 5 Jun 2011 by John 'Skyline'

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and practical guidance, 30 May 2013
Edward (Twickenham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a very useful book, written in a no-nonsense style and covering plenty of ground. The author combines his own experience with relevant quotes from numerous top balance engineers and producers. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A top book from a man who knows his onions..., 2 May 2013
Excellent learning resource - especially when used in conjunction with the online resources provided.

Mike writes mix articles for the respected Sound on Sound magazine, so he knows his stuff and uses a straightforward and easy to understand style, whilst not bigging himself up.

Well worth the cash and the read...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to mix, read this!, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mixing Secrets (Kindle Edition)
I am a mixing newbie and I have found this book incredibly helpful.

I am a drummer and wanted to record my real kit instead of using an electronic one - just cos it's cooler. When I first did it the recordings sounded s*** but after reading this, sorting out my phasing issues, taming the snare with a bit of compression, thickening up the whole kit with a bit of 'New York' compression, some intelligent tweaking of the EQ (and even layering a bit of sampled snare via midi onto the actual recording) it now sounds da bomb! Better than that, even if I don't like it I have the confidence and know-how to change it.

It's not just drums though - I've been recording and mixing the rest of the band and I reckon we are gonna get something really good. There isn't anything much about recording in here, it assumes you start with a full set of audio tracks - which is fine cos it's about mixing, not recording.

I have gone from idiot to nerd in 500 pages. Highly recommended if you want to get clever with mixing and get some decent results. Now, back to worrying about that comb filtering...

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything a first-timer can ask for, 1 Oct 2011
I'm not a first timer but it fills most of the missing approach methods I have. And if not for the whole knowledge and the mixing discipline that resides in the book, just read it for the humour for god sake! It's the first audio related book that kept me reading without getting bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BOOK ON THIS SUBJECT!, 19 Jan 2013
This book is really a need if you want to escape many errors made even in some big studios that makes you loosing a lot of potential in the mixing and mastering process. Everybody can understand this book, and it can bring a lot from the newbies to the professionals. You have to read this book before spending any money buying monitors, foam, or constructing anything. You'll save a lot of money and spend it in a more intelligent way. If I would have had the chance of reading this book before, I would have made different choices including on my studio monitors. I have absolutely no commercial interest in the selling of the book. I live in France and I never met Mr Mike Senior. But just one thing that shows the kind of man the author is. I had a choice to make on buying some gear. He gives precise advices in the book on what we should take (about Auratone's substitute). I wondered if another model (non listed in the book) would work. I wrote him a mail. He personnaly replyed the next day! Well I can tell you, this is the first time it happens for me. In general Authors are more interested on making money than helping others in personal choices and replying mails takes time because he has to inquire on the subject. You also have links in the book that brings you directly to his university's pages where you can find informations and audio files, freewares...to set up your things in a proper way and even free mixing utilities (softs) that you can use in your work. Last but not least, you can have special questions answered by Mr Mike Senior himself. So that's my opinion on the book. Sorry if you find mistakes in my english, I'm french...

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible!, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Mixing Secrets (Kindle Edition)
I bought this after reading a number of other reviews and I was not disappointed. The book gives an extremely methodical approach to mixing and it has helped me get immediate and significant improvements in my mixes.

The early chapters I'll admit, I read but didn't take action - I don't have the time to rearrange my mixing room but I do intend in the not too distant future to follow as much of the advice as time and wallet allow.

As for the actual practical mixing advice - wow! My mixes used to be plugin heavy with a very random approach to how I tackled them. The two mixes I have now finished since reading this book sound far better than anything else I've done before and they use hardly any processing at all!

I would recommend this for anyone mixing music in a home environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you need to build a new recording studio..., 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mixing Secrets (Kindle Edition)
Half of the book is talking about what to buy and what not to....then it goes here and there tellig about mixing to be used as references...well...I was expecting something more about tricks and advice on equalization curve and things like that. anyway...is not too bad...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read on studio mixing!, 3 Oct 2013
I have been working on my mixing skills for a few years now and never quite managed to figure out how to get a commercial sounding mix. This book has opened my ears to really listen subjectively and understand what I'm hearing. It doesn't tell you the right way to do anything but instead gives useful examples of techniques that should be considered when facing various mixing issues. The techniques described have given me a real insight into the level of detail that goes into a commercial sounding mix and how this is really achievable by anyone willing to put in the effort.

I am confident that the strategies outlined in this book will help me to identify issues and use the appropriate tools on my mix to achieve the kind of mix I am after.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›