4.0 out of 5 stars Heresy and Creed
Published on 23 Oct. 2012 by M. Amos

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I've been a huge fan of Gary Hughes and Ten from the start. Gary's voice is just awesome and he never seems to lack inspiration. Till now ...

Published on 26 Oct. 2012 by Ten fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Heresy and Creed, 23 Oct. 2012
M. Amos "martin amos" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)
A resurgent Ten are back with this album as a follow up to "Stormwarning", which provided them with a successful recording comeback last year. It was not all plain sailing however, and band leader Gary Hughes has been dealing with bail-outs left, right and centre. Despite this he has managed to gather another talented crew for this eye-catching new CD. The current line up is:

Gary Hughes (vocals, guitar)
Dan Mitchel (guitar)
John Halliwell (guitar)
Steve McKenna (bass)
Darrel Treece-Birch (keyboards)
Max Yates (drums)

Production was by Dennis Ward & Gary Hughes

The album starts well with an atmospheric instrumental "The Gates of Jerusalem" which nicely sets up the powerful rocker "Arabian Knights", both pieces dealing with the events of the Third Crusade. I love these history epics from Ten, and this is amongst the best they've done.

Next up is "Gunrunning", and we're straight into classic AOR territory. I like the chugging almost glam-rock rhythm guitar. The melodic and moody "The lights go down", which somehow reminds me of Rush, continues the run of good tracks.

Best of all is "Raven's Eye", which is my favourite song on the album. It has a folky/mystical vibe, with a bed of chiming acoustic guitars and lyrics that evoke magical landscapes. The song builds up to a glorious melodic chorus (think early Marillion majestical pomp).

Another great song is "Unbelievable", an instant pop tune with a memorable chorus and cranked-up guitar solo.

The middle part of the album suffers from a couple of songs that could be described as sweaty Whitesnake-ish hard-rockers: "The Priestess" and "Insatiable". I expect these kinds of songs on a Ten album, but as we've already had "Gunrunning" they just outstay their welcome. The personal ballads are much better: "The Last Time", "Another Rainy Day" and "The Riddle" are strong tunes all.

This is a great sounding album with mostly inspired songs. It's good to see Gary Hughes and this version of Ten adding to a 16 year legacy which includes some of the very best British AOR.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 28 Oct. 2012
A. Halfpenny "ahalfpenny22" (notts, england,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)
Ten get better and better ,this album is just sheer class. Great songwriting and fantastic production. Not bad from a little band from Lancashire. Can not wait to see them on tour again next year .

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)
I think this is a great album. Having gone off Ten in recent times I wasn't sure if this wouldn't be one of those albums I buy and regret shortly after however, I'm very pleased to say, that wasn't the case at all and if I hadn't have bought it I now I feel I would have been missing out on one of Ten's best.

It is a grower: after the first proper listen, I thought it was good but by the third listen I knew it was a winner and haven't stopped playing it. It's clear a lot of work has been put into it and it shows. Fabulous melodic songs, fabulous performances and very good production.

I suppose, for me, and I suspect quite a few others, Babylon is the high watermark for Ten. It's got it all and it sounds like the band at its best. Since then things from Gary Hughes have been patchy and frankly, I can't be doing with the medieval stuff for which Gary clearly has a penchant.

But this reminds me in many ways of Babylon. No, it's not a concept album but has a similar sound and approach. I am very impressed with the heavier bits. I'm not a fan of being assaulted by kick-drum artillery complemented by atonal guitar riffs over which a singer wails something unrelated. Hughes knows there is a time and a place for this sort of thing but keeps it in perspective and never lets it interfere with the melodic delivery, so while there is a fair bit of double kick drum work, it's done in a way that drives great catchy songs and the guitar work is never atonal. The guitar does remind me of Babylon too and does justice to Vinny Burn's legacy.

I would like to say that all the songs are great but can't quite go that far. Track 6 is the black sheep. I love the synths at the beginning and it's set to do great things but then, well, it's just dull and boring, sorry Gary. However it really doesn't matter because the other tracks all deserve to be there.

I do hope Ten will continue in this form and perhaps deliver Babylon 2 (though hopefully not Babylon Zoo ;o)

99/100

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)
I think this is a good CD but I bought it for my son who is a massive fan of Ten. He loved it any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)
This band just get better with each new album.
Loved the one before, Stormwarning, but this has got them
in a different class.
Saw them at Firefest in October and they were superb.
Why aren't they bigger than they are over here.
It really makes my blood boil when you see so much garbage
doing well and talent like this is ignored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)
Great album by a great band.
Special mention to "The lights go down", "Another rainy day", "Gunrunning", "Unbelievable", "Arabian Knights"...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)
An album that needs a couple of plays to really hook you in. Many tracks are typical Ten and no bad thing for that. However there are some new directions in Glen Hughes writing and these tracks reeally stand out. Raven Eyes is for me the pick of the bunch with celtic rock overtones. The Riddle is another great track and a superb finish to a great album. I have been a long time Ten fan and this album is there with the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great band their best so far, 2 Jan. 2015
Ten out of ten

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: HERESY AND CREED (Audio CD)

Heresy and Creed is one of the least deliveries Gary has made over de past years. The CD never gets started up until the point that you might be tempted to turn it off completely. Luckily I didn't 'cause the last few songs are strong and instantly recognisable Ten material. However, this just isn't enough to please. Such a shame, as again I am a big fan and wish them all the luck they deserve.

Hope to see you soon on tour!

HERESY AND CREED
HERESY AND CREED by Ten (Audio CD - 2012)