4.0 out of 5 stars nostalgic
Excellent read, brought back memories of my training in the 1970's, could relate to lot of experiences. Was transported back in time especially the awful night shifts. Told with honesty and feeling. Would recommend particularly if you want a trip down memory lane.
Published on 27 Feb 2011 by Mrs. Patricia Briggs

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst 'nurse' books I've read.
I read these books in the wrong order, unfortunately, reading this one last. I trained at the same time as the author (albeit 12000 miles away) and know just what it feels like to be a trainee nurse.I am amazed at the recall of this woman with all the conversations and detail of cases. I can't remember many at all from so long ago and certainly not any detail of what...
Published 18 days ago by jac

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars somewhat self-opinionated ! would not have wanted her near me if I'd been a patient!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: It Won't Hurt a Bit: Nursing Tales from the Swinging Sixties (Kindle Edition)
Having done my nurse training myself in the Swinging Sixties, I was expecting a factual but amusing tale of life as a trainee nurse. Instead we were swamped by how useless her training was, how she knew better than anyone else, and how little respect she had for practically everyone! In the sixties, rightly or wrongly, we had enormous respect for the Surgeons, Physicians, Sistera

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read., 15 Aug 2011
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way each chapter was like a short story and I felt it was good bed time reading. It is rare that we get such a detailed account of times of the past and I salute the author for keeping a record of all the experiences on which to base her book. I found the character descriptions excellent and had a good giggle at the stories. I am not sure health and safety would allow smoking, cats and goldfish in hospitals nowadays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 9 July 2014
Excellent book

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely look back in time, 15 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I had experience of nurse training in the late 60s and lived in the nurse's home so it was a trip back in time for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 6 Mar 2014
couldn't put the book down, really good reading. Showed how nurses sometimes got emotionally involved with their patients, and how much they enjoyed their jobs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Passed time, 31 Jan 2014
Not a bad read, but thought it would have had a little more humour in the stories, & more detail of what a nurse had to learn.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's okay, 10 Jan 2014
I suppose there are loads of these books post Call the Midwife. This one is okay, but not in the same league. But I read it and quite enjoyed it and then put it in the charity bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 8 Jan 2014
Enjoying hearing tales of nursing in Aberdeen, I trained there in the 80's so much of the description of wards etc are familiar. I was given the second book in this series as a Christmas present so downloaded this one onto kindle to read first.

5.0 out of 5 stars oh the memories, 13 Dec 2013
Wonderful read, words that painted pictures of life in ARI in the 60s. Loved it. Looking forward to next book

4.0 out of 5 stars Nursing in the 60's, 21 Oct 2013
A fun, easy read. Anyone who did their nurse training in the 60's and 70's will relate to this, and it will set the memories going.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›