5.0 out of 5 stars The Exciting World of Churchgoing, 13 Feb 2011
L. Harris (UK) - See all my reviews
When I saw the advert for this book I did not realize it was cartoons. I thought I could get a few ideas for making going to church more exciting. However, I have now been introduced to the brilliantly insightful and hilariously funny cartoons of Dave Walker. I know when people say "you've got to read this, its hilarious" almost invariably the recipient does not think it remotely amusing. However, this really is hilarious and, in fact, I thought it so good I immediately bought another 3 copies to give away. It has also given me an idea of how to get rid of the pews (a topic of heated discussions in our church) I am sure I can enlist the help of the children in Messy Church... I will no doubt be buying more of Dave Walker's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars visual brilliance......, 30 Dec 2010
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Exciting World of Churchgoing: A Dave Walker Guide
Canterbury Press, August 2010
Comedic gets visual engages Churchianity! This is Dave Walkers third book of cartoons where the church gets critiqued by mind, spirit and line cartoons. Walker's not for letting up on the endless variations of life and possibility that birth from local parish pews to you and I. Dave's visual style is wonderfully simple - with outline drawings of pastors, people and pews abounding!

This third publication clusters together Walkers disparate offerings from website, Church Times regulars and many other locations. His handiwork have brightened many a dull publication and long may it continue. There is insight, genius and subtlety abounding in this slim attractive volume. Utterly distinctive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever little book, 9 Sep 2011
Bought for a colleague who is leaving work to train in 'vicar school'- he loved it as did the rest of us when we had a look, full of clever little cartoons that made us laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where church meets banana skin, 26 Sep 2010
S. Jenkins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
How to describe the humour of Dave Walker? It's as dry as a communion wafer stuck to the roof of your mouth. This is his third book of cartoons where church meets banana skin, and there's no sign that he's finished exhausting the comic potential of life in the pews.

Dave's visual style is deceptively simple - with childlike drawings of bishops, people in pews and church architecture - and reminds me of Tim Hunkin's Rudiments of Wisdom cartoons from the Observer in the 1980s. But what takes these above Hunkin is the humour, which is delivered through flatly factual text.

For example, a cartoon in this book on the responsibilities of the church sound desk operator: "Moving the slider up a bit. Moving the slider down a bit. Every now and then pressing the 'sudden unexpected feedback' button." The deadpanning and the simple drawings conceal an artful and inventive brain at work. Working consistently in this style takes time and planning, as well as the ever-necessary banging your head repeatedly on the drawing board.

Religious cartoonists who are genuinely funny should be treasured, because there aren't many of them. There's only one, so far as I know, whose speciality is delicious English understatement... and that's reason enough to buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful slightLy Anglican humor all can see in their church regardless of denomination, 1 Jan 2014
What a brilliant book. I got it as a present. It has been a wonderful book full of laughs. Well worth the price... It seemlessly blends humor, truth and the churches unique idiocincracities. If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at... Personally I think every Rev./ Vicar should get a copy for completing their training. (A perfect ordination gift!)

The Exciting World of Churchgoing