on 29 August 2014
As a German I loved reading this. It reminded me of so many places and so many cliches were shown that in reality are quite true. Funny, witty writing. And a great reminder not to buy a Windbreaker Deluxe. Love it!
on 8 September 2012
I must admit that as a camper myself that was what initially attracted me to this book. However an interest in camping is not a prerequisite for enjoying this fabulous book.
The story retells the authors journey through Germany with nothing more than a cheapo tent and a darn sight more cheeriness than I would have managed. The authors style makes it an easy book to get into and enjoy whether you like to read in short bursts or cover to cover in one sitting.
By the end of the book I felt as though I had actually been camping in Germany and felt that the author and I were jolly good mates. It is one of those books that informs without overwhelming with monotonous detailand I learned a lot about a country that as the author reminds us is often missed on the tourist trail.
There are several laugh aloud moments involving Trabants, foxes and fellow campers. All in all a jolly good read and I hope that the author's wife gets to go on another cruise so that he can head off somewhere new and write another book.
on 24 February 2013
Chris Lown has a slightly obsessive tendency,,and when he decides he will visit every state in Germany it's clear there will be no short cuts along the way. And when he is persuaded by a spotty teenage shop assistant that a budget tent will be perfectly adequate, we know that he and his tent are in for some interesting experiences! Join Chris as he explores a fascinating country that isn't visited as much as it could be by Britons ( why not, I wonder?) and you will be entertained and informed in equal measure. Do not hesitate to buy this book.
NB I too am wary of sycophantic Amazon reviews that read like they have been written by the author's mother or the German Tourist Board, but believe me I am neither. But amateur writers who produce work of this quality for little financial reward deserve recognition, and if you enjoy comedic and entertaining travel memoirs that help you discover more about the author, the people he meets and the places he visits then don't hesitate to snap this one up.
on 12 February 2015
A great read, thoroughly enjoyable.
Some real laugh our loud moments in this well-written book.
Limited myself to a chapter a night as I didn't want to finish it too quickly!
on 23 December 2012
A wonderful book in many ways. Especially, for a self-published book, in its lack of errors, a bit of a rarity these days. Written in a very droll, tongue-in-cheek way, but also very informative. I learnt a lot about Germany, a place I have never visited, apart from airports, despite having learned German at school.

I learned a lot about beer as well, although I do not drink it. And cheese, which I love. And human nature. Why, for instance, would a man who had bought a cheap tent, clearly falling apart, and who had then received a gift of a superduper, state-of-the-art tent - in fact the very model which he had been offered in the shop before he set off, but shied away from because of the price - insist on carrying on with the one which seemed (and indeed proved to be) incapable of seeing its way through any night which contained rain, wind or wild animals?

Excellent. I would have been proud to write it.
on 20 April 2013
I have just finished reading this book! What a little gem of entertainment and learning! I was brought up camping and it is in my blood, but I also like caravans and hotel and cruise holidays as well. This account of travelling and camping through Germany from Chris with his own agenda and goals to be met after meticulous planning was pure delight. I don't know how many times I laughed out loud at some of the things he wrote about. Not only where he went and what he did but the day's end diary was just perfect to finish off with! What a refreshing down to earth account of his lone travels and tribulations along the way. I do hope that Chris goes on more of his jaunts through other countries and the "tent" (maybe you can still get that one!) Or maybe a canal holiday (that can be very entertaining, believe me!). Something to think about..........
on 8 January 2013
I haven't laughed out loud at a book for ages, but I thoroughly annoyed my partner by continually reading bits out to him. Perhaps he was too like the author to find it quite as funny as I did... For anyone who has ever had a tent collapse on top of them, or been subjected to weather in its most irritating form, this is the book for you. The author has a delightfully warts-and-all view of himself, which adds to the enjoyment as he's so well-drawn that you know how he's going to react to the various situations that arise. The last bit, when he's back in England and spending a page and half anticipating the delights of speaking English to the first person he meets - only for it to turn out to be a Pole - was beautifully paced. And the footnotes had me in hysterics. Highly recommended.
on 16 June 2014
I have always bemoaned the lack of travel books about Germany so I was thrilled to come across this book. I loved the way the book was written and I really enjoyed reading about his travels across the country. I don't really understand the obsession people have with camping but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the book.
on 7 September 2012
This book falls into my 'can't put down' category. Not only does there seem to be humour on every turn of the page the writer almost makes you feel you are there with him with his vivid descriptions about the places he visits I'm only half way through and can't wait to see what happens next to the tent and its owner!
on 4 September 2013
Hello Chris,

This book is funny & a joyful read. The way you have described the places you visited really brought them to life & I have been nagging my husband to take a holiday in Germany (sorry not camping, I'm with Jan on that).

I hope this review helps because you deserve success