4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful, inventive and funny, 11 Oct. 2007
Rusty (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first Narayan novel I have read and I found his storytelling impressive. His characters come right off the page - and I loved the sights, sounds and smells of the Southern India he depicts.

The set-up for this tale is engaging: a man leaves prison, hoping to re-integrate with society unnoticed...but ends up being mistaken for a holy man and becomes the centre of undesired attention. I enjoyed the comment made about the madness of herd mentality (there's a wonderful scene at the end where the people are scrambling to find spare water so that Raju can stand knee-deep in a river - in order to pray for rain to end a drought).

I agree with a previous review that perhaps too much time was spent on the Raju/Rosie romance...they are such strong characters, however, that the narrative manages to sustain their story arc without too much strain. What I admired most, I think, was the spiritual side to the story - not just the spiritual dedication of the villagers but aso the spiritual journey forced upon Raju. In the end, you get the sense that he almost believes in something for the first time in his life.

What I was hoping for, though, was a twist in the tale. I thought that Raju was going to be humbled by the gods for impersonating a saint...or that too much rain would come and flood away his temple. This didn't happen - and I suppose it shows restraint on Narayan's part. But I think the novel could have been even better with such a finishing flourish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book - It will be a treasure for lifeitme, 23 May 2006
R K Naryan was a rare Gem in the literary world. All his books are excellent and must read for anybody who can read English.

Its specially nice for people who would like to know what Rural India was.. The relationships, the environment, the society - each and every aspect is explained in such an amazing and interesting way that you feel you are there when things are happening - you are transformed to places and situation's.

Even if you are not interested in India, still its a great read. The way Narayan handles the language is must read to believe. You would have never imagined that simple stories and sitatuation's can be explained so beautifully.

Once you start reading the book you cannot stop infact you will end up reading the books again and again as i do ( which i do not do with any other books )

Its highly recommended to buy all the Novels / Books of R K Narayan

Srini Guru

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 12 April 2007
Beautiful Beard (Doncaster, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have to disagree with the other reviews who all seem to acclaim this as the best book ever.

The book has some amazing good points.

It has a brilliant description of life in rural India when it narrates Raju's childhood.

It has a endearing central character who you will understand and love.

The moral seems to be simple yet strong.

However the book gets a little boring when describing the relationship between Rosie and Raju. I found my self skipping whole pages in which the author spent forever recounting their encounters whilst putting the story on hold. Save for this annoying feature, the book was a great read and i would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A deeply personal read., 29 Mar. 2001
akiernander@hotmail.com (Angel, London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
What a wonderful book! A great story, both in it's spirituality and it's simplicity. It is so revealing of human nature, and shows the great influence of self-image and the view that others hold of us. You must read this book! I have forced it upon nearly everyone I know, and those that read it were by no means disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars All his books are great!, 2 April 2001
Marie-Cicile Widdershoven (Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I have red almost all of his books and they are all very good. I can recommend his work to everyone who loves tales and stories. The decorum is truly delightful; most stories are situated in South India.

The Guide
The Guide by R K Narayan (Paperback - 1996)
Used & New from: £11.41