5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful nostalgia.
Published 20 months ago by Nichola

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing the Last Episode on AIV!
I bought this series through Amazon Instant video. I was disappointed to find that though the episode descriptions are for the numbered episodes, the first episode shown is actually the Christmas special, that thus the final episode of season 2 is actually missing. I hope this is rectified soon, since I've paid for all of season 2 and I'd like to watch all of season 2!
Published 15 months ago by N. K. Kingston

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful nostalgia., 19 Oct. 2013
Nichola (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I trained as a Midwife in 1965 and this is almost an exact account of the life we led whilst training in the slums of Liverpool England. We didn't train in a convent Hospital but the day to day encounters were spot on. The camaraderie and the lasting lessons learnt through caring for people living in the slums, where something that has remained with me throughout my life. So much tragedy and so much joy in such desperate circumstances. We had so much fun!!! This has brought it all back to me in graphic detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Call the midwives and daughters and watch this!, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The second series is at least as good as the first one. It's heartwarming and sad at the same time. Call the Midwife proves that one doesn't need gilded picture frames and big estates to make very good television.Tickety-boo and tippity-top.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow-up to series 1, 25 Mar. 2013
Jane V. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Happily, I enjoyed series 2 as much as the first series! My mother worked as a district midwife in 1950's East London and it certainly brought to life all the stories I grew up with.

It's a wonderful show, striking a great balance between the hardships of life in 1950's East End London and the triumphs of the human spirit. It truly puts things into perspective when confronted with the struggle of surviving day to day in the tenements and slums that form the backbone of the show.

Another BBC gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive period drama from the 1950s, 15 April 2013
Arachne202 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed the original memoirs by Jennifer Worth, and the television series is equally good. Though as the programme-makers have now used up all of Ms Worth's original stories, it will be very interesting to see where it goes in Series Three.

This is the life both my grandmothers would have experienced. A small team of very young NHS midwives and older, wiser and more forceful character nuns are in charge of all the midwifery services of a low-income suburb in London's East End, in 1958. There's a lot of female history in this series - attitudes to the new-fangled NHS, the disabled, domestic violence, unmarried pregnancy, the new migrants from the Caribbean, and the demise of young women enrolling in convents.

But it is also balanced with gentle humour (Miranda Hart steals every scene that she is in), and there is the guaranteed money shot in every episode of a cute and cuddly newborn making surprised squeaking noises to the camera about his/her acting debut. This makes me rampagingly broody, and Mr Arachne202 a little bit nervous!

It makes us mothers of the 21st century look like complete wimps, seeing what life was like before the pill and many other medical treatments came into being - as well as the housing conditions, and no washing machines! And, after grudgingly taking my folic acid during two pregnancies and wondering what the GPs were making such a fuss about, I was genuinely shocked at the spina bifida episode (when folic acid was not available), and will be grateful for those tablets should I get lucky a third time.

Gorgeous series, well-made and well-acted. Can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Heartbreakingly Wonderful, 17 May 2015
L. M. Wilson "korcula blue" (Redcar, Cleveland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I have just finished watching series 2 of this brilliant series. I confess I loved the gentle humour and found myself shedding tears during the very hard parts. What hard lives these people lived! I feel the series is more perhaps for women as I am fairly sure a lot of men would find the constant screaming in pain from women giving birth in such difficult conditions harrowing; as indeed it is. I find it difficult to put into words to describe the effect it had upon me. I loved the interaction between the nuns and staff very special. The characterisation is really excellent. I too wonder what series 3 will be like but intend to find out. A special mention for Jenny Agutter and Miranda Hart but truly all the main characters shine. The anguish, the hardship the pain the unconditional love and understanding so evident among these dedicated women is simply wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sues ratings, 5 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I love call the midwife,I have all the other series.there is nothing I dislike about it.and yes I would recommend it
To my family and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grittier than Series 1, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
With the Spina Biffida, abortion and medical malpractice issues, this series is much more hard hitting than Series 1; if anything, it is even better viewing than Series 1, but I do wonder about a Series 3, if Jennifer Worth's original memoirs are used up. Would rather it went out on a massive high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series - One of my favorites of all time, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
All my friends also love this. This is a faithful representation of the book by Jennifer Worth about that
time prior to women having birth control available. About the joys and the sadness
surrounding childbirth. About a young nurse finding her direction in life, at its center
Call the Midwife is an affirmation that people are primarily good and generous
and even on the docks of East London during desperate times, with little money, this holds true.
The music that is the theme for this show warms my heart as does the early rock and roll
played as the show's background. The nuns give spiritual background to the tale. A series that
especially will touch anyone who has gone through childbirth. The cast are perfect in their roles!
Narrated warmly by Vanessa Redgrave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to the mark, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
As usual fantastic show. Realistic depictions of the era. Characters are well portrayed. Puts the times now in perspective. Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
As with the other series, this too is delightful. It's great to see and remember how hard life was for some families and not even so long ago!
We get so caught up in today's technologically fast moving world that it can only do us good to slow down and reflect on how far we have come thanks to the hard work and sacrifices of those who came before us!!!
Excellent real life sets, wonderful acting by all on screen. Still very in love with Chummy. Thanks to Miranda Hart's excellent portrayal of this character, I can imagine she must have really been a wonderful person and would have loved to have met her. Well done
Miranda!

Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD]
Call the Midwife - Series 2 [DVD] by China Moo-Young (DVD - 2013)