5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tale about the English countryside, 19 April 2012
This is the first time I have put up a review but I had to share my feelings about this book. It is so much fun. I found people were staring at me whenever I read it in public because I was frequently laughing out loud. In addition to this, although I know the Cotswolds quite well, there was so much information in this book that was new to me - with lots of out-of-the-way places - this author really knows her subject. This book will be very useful for my next trip to the Cotswolds for all the good ideas about what to see and there is an excellent travel guide included. Also, I got very caught up in this author's roller-coaster journey which reads more like a humourous action-filled adventure than a travel book. Finally, a writer has come up with a book that appreciates the English countryside, the good food being produced there, the village communities and the wonderful ancient architecture, all with an exciting story that frames this good stuff. I hope there is a sequel in the works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read, 23 Sep 2012
I recently moved down to The Cotswolds so when I came across this book I thought it would be the ideal starting point to learning more about the area I'm living in and I wasn't wrong. The book has given me plenty of ideas of places to visit including, amongst others, manor houses, gardens, castles and pubs/restaurants. But 'Cotswolds Memoir' is much more than just a travel guide. It's a witty, often hilarious, tale of two people's determination to buy their dream cottage in the Cotswolds. The (quite often eccentric) characters they meet along the way and the funny anecdotes add to the charm of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Cotswolds Memoir' and would highly recommend it. Cotswolds Memoir: Discovering a Beautiful Region of Britain on a Quest to Buy a 17th Century Cottage

5.0 out of 5 stars Cotswolds Memoir, 1 April 2012
Monica B. Morris "Author" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
COTSWOLDS MEMOIR hooked me from the very first page. It's well researched with good information and also very funny. In fact, it's absolutely filled with entertaining anecdotes. Also, this books catered to all my interests - I am a foodie (this author's descriptions made me drool), a history buff, a house hunter, and love to read about quirky characters. There's real tension, too, as the story develops, Who would think that buying a cottage could be such a fun, roller-coaster adventure? I was really sorry when I reached the end. The minute I finished the book, I wanted to pack my bags and get on a plane for the Cotswolds!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheerful and enticing guide, 18 Mar 2012
Alison Collin (Palo Alto, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I so much enjoyed reading this refreshingly funny book - it is rare these days to find oneself laughing until tears are rolling down ones cheeks. Yet this book is so much more. I delighted in accompanying the author and her husband as they investigated different villages in pursuit of the perfect cottage, experienced ridiculous miscommunications with eccentric locals, or roamed beside the tranquil upper reaches of the river Thames. The epicurean delights sampled in various pubs and restaurants made my mouth water. There are mad dashes across the Atlantic to Hollywood in order to finance their dream, resulting in some absolutely hilarious situations. As a travel guide this book is well organized and researched and contains some enchanting photographs as well as giving many interesting facts about historic buildings and other points of interest, but never to the point of tedium. There is an excellent index and comprehensive resource guide at the end.
However, it is Diz White's humour and wit which shine through and make it such an engaging read; a Cotswold version of "A Year in Provence". On reaching the end I felt that I was saying goodbye to a dear friend. Now I can't wait to jump on a plane and see this beautiful area - needless to say, this very useful book will go with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Cotswolds Memoir: Discovering a Beautiful Region of Britain on a Quest to Buy a 17th Century Cottage (Kindle Edition)
I so enjoyed this book. It made me laugh, and has inspired me to go out and explore the area I have lived in for the pass 12 yrs.