Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - White (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0)
Colour Name: WhiteStyle Name: Wi-FiChange
Price:£228.89+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,100 of 1,116 people found the following review helpful
on 13 September 2012
***As of January 3rd 2013 Jelly bean update has been available***

I'll start by saying that I previously acknowledged tablets as being mostly a novelty device but could also see some of the media benefits also.

My birthday is in two days and my fiance surprised me by saying I could have any tablet that I wanted and of course I went into 'research mode' and looked at the Samsung tab 1 and 2, iPad 1, 2 and 3, the Asus tf300 and both transformer tablets. All of them have their positives and negatives, although I was never going to get an iPad is I'm not an apple fan, I'm always inclined towards power under the hood rather than the 'look its shiney' approach.

The galaxy note 10.1 offers the power, the looks and the functionality that anyone could possibly desire. Some review sites say this tablet is cheap looking and feels worse, I implore you to ignore them, its usually apple fans who say this, even I was a tad worried but the moment I held it in my hands I knew I'd made the right choice.

Amazon's listing of this product is wrong at the moment, this is indeed the quad core, 2gb ram and 16gb internal storage. I almost purchased this from another company due to poor listing but i have informed Amazon of their mistake and hopefully they will alter the listing.

One thing I do like on this tablet is the use of the pen, I've downloaded a free app called sketcher off the play market and it's brilliant. I would recommend people to download the Google chrome app straight away as the built in internet app can throw a few hissy fits now and then and chrome seems to work nicely on this tablet.

Now, onto the screen, I cannot believe that some reviewer websites said it wasn't good, are they looking at the back of the tablet, the pre loaded video shows how vibrant it truly is, the viewing angles are very good also, cannot complain at all.

Just for anyone who is curious, the pre loaded Photoshop app only allows editing from what I can tell, you can't start sketching in it, but it's free so have a play with your photos and it's a nifty little app. (someone has informed me that you can in fact create work from the PS app as well)

I would recommend that when you get this brilliant tablet you also order a 32GB micro sd card that is class 10, you've then got a lot of storage space for films, music and pictures you want on the go.

I've only had this tablet for about 4 days now and I haven't been able to make the most out of all the facilities it offers such as the multitasking split screen, and from what I have researched it is the only tablet on the market that truly multi tasks.

On a foot note, no need for a kindle anymore, downloaded the app and works great.

All in this has been a great purchase for me, and I'm very happy I took the plunge, who needs a laptop anymore!

EDIT 15th September - I have now been using this device more and more each day, I set up "Peel Remote" which comes pre-installed o nthe device which enables you to turn on, change channels, volume up down on many many TV's and blu ray players, i linked it up to two LG TV's very easily and also a Sony Blu Ray player. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesnt work on Playsations 3's but it is still a possibility for an update in the future!

I've carried out a few different battery life checks. I charged my Galaxy Note 10.1 up to 100% before i went to sleep at midnight and by morning (8 hours later) it had dropped to only 97%. That very day i used it very sparingly to just check the time and to do a quick browse whilst at work between 9AM and 5PM and the battery only dropped down to about 90%. Yesterday I used it a lot at work, setting up routers, browsing the web, watching some videos on youtube and netflix, the Note started the day on 52% and by the time I had gotten home It was still on 35% even though I'd not been cautious with it.

Pretty much what I'm saying is the battery seems excellent to me, I couldn't be more happy with it.

I've been spending a lot of time trying to fill up my 32GB Micro SD card with digital copies of the blu rays i possess and 99% of them have gone across very easily, my only fripe is that digital copies provided are not 720p or 1080p so im looking into some blu ray ripping software and a converter so I can at least play my films in HD otherwise having such a lovely screen is pointless!

EDIT - I have now put Avengers 1080p onto my tablet now and wow, it looks SO good on this tablet, and the best thing is, i wasn't suprised, i expected it to be good and it looked as great as i anticipated. The audio is the best ive heard on any tablet so far and actually much better than most laptops on the market (excluding the HP laptops with the beats audio)

I have ordered a 3rd party Case since my last edit and it seems to be sufficient for now until the official Samsung case is released, which i would imagine will be very well put together.

I shall add more to this review when I learn more things, I just think its such a shame that reviewing websites do not give this the recognition it deserves when I myself absolutely LOVE IT!

EDIT 23/11/2012 Had this Tablet for quite a while and used it pretty much everyday and still loving every second of it. Now, don't get me wrong I'm not one of these people who just praise an item without giving the negatives, but so far I've only experienced very few. One fault that I have noticed that occurs once in a blue moon is whilst using the Google Chrome Web browser, it can sometimes lock up, but the best way of rectifying this is by pressing the upward facing arrow located at the bottom centre of the screen which opens up multiple things such as calculator emails etc, but it also loads up task manager. If you select task manager and clear the RAM and close down the Google chrome application it will restart the browser where it left off and continue to work absolutely fine.

One thing that has been pointed out to me is not many people have commented about audio on the device. The device comes with a pre-installed application that plays music once transferred onto it, which if you are used to Android based devices you should be familiar with. The actual quality of the audio is decent, I'm not saying "wow who needs surround sound" but it plays the music well, it gives out better audio than my HTC One X which has beats audio.

One last thing I have noticed is that with a screen protector on, sometimes it does not like to smoothly scroll the screen when you have it landscape, but if you alter the device to portrait it seems to be absolutely fine. I'm going to put this down to perhaps my lack of talent in applying a screen sover to the tablet.

Once again, If I learn any new tricks or helpful hints I'll update this review further.
review image
103103 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 October 2012
***As of January 3rd 2013 jelly bean update has been available***

2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 January 2013
I don't often write reviews, I know that I should as I am a "techy" and buy pretty much everything I own from Amazon (approximately 100 items in the last 6 months alone). Although I didn't buy this from Amazon for 2 reasons:
1. I was impatient, it was payday and John Lewis had it in stock at the same price as Amazon (£318 at the time) and
2. it was suddenly unavailable from Amazon for reasons you can see if you read some of the 1 star reviews here (I'm not talking about the 1 star review by the Apple fan boy who would probably buy a car made by Apple if it cost four times the price of a Ferrari, would only allow you to drive it at times when Apple say you can drive it and did 3 miles to a gallon) But I digress, I am here to review the Samsung Note 10.1.

THE REVEAL

On opening the box the first thing you notice is the size of it. iPad's have a 9.7" screen, this beauty has 10.1" of high definition loveliness. OK so .4" doesn't sound like much but the larger the screen then the more HD goodness you can squeeze into it. You will also notice that it is COVERED in protective film. I was still finding small pieces of it on the edges 3 hours after opening it. This is something that has some importance to people like me who are OCD but love shiny things; a bad combination.
A few months ago I bought a very expensive Logitech Keyboard to find that on opening the brand new sealed box the logo on the wrist rest had a rather deep scratch. Yes, it went back.

THE BODY

So once you do get the protective films off you can be sure your new Note 10.1 will be in mint condition.
Other noteworthy points, in regards to aesthetics, are the stereo speakers placed either side of the screen and the front and back cameras; 5MP on the back and 1.9MP on the front. Not mind-blowing admittedly but if you want a camera then go and buy a camera. The cameras on the Note 10.1 are sufficient for the purposes of the tasks you would perform with a tablet camera, i.e Skype etc. All tablets are too unwieldy to be using them as a camera like you would a phone.
More importantly I need to stress that this tablet does NOT feel cheap.
It has a good weight to it, not overly heavy but you do feel like you are actually holding £400-ish worth of kit. It's sturdy, nothing creaks, as certain iSheep have been known to say, and everything feels of good quality. The iPad does have a brushed metal back, and I may seem like I hate the iPad but I assure you I do not, but being made of plastic doesn't make the Note 10.1 feel any less expensive.
The design is also quite satisfying. The iPad looks to me like Apple gave up on any kind of design effort years ago and are happy to churn out the same square shape over and over again. The Note 10.1, whilst hardly being light years ahead in regards to design, is a bit curvier and feels more comfortable in your hands.
So on to the important stuff, and I'll try to cover all the points as best I can.
The first thing to do is, obviously, switch it on. Duh. This is done by a not-too-obvious button on the top. The Samsung Note 10.1 is designed with the idea that it will be used in landscape as opposed to the iPad which looks like it should be portrait, with the home button at the bottom, and so on the Samsung "the top" could be considered "the side". Either way, it's on the top to the left. This isn't something that makes either tablet better or worse, it just is.
Next to the on/off button is a volume rocker. These are the only physical buttons to be found on the tablet.
Around the edges you will also find a 3.5mm headphone jack, an Apple style power socket, a tiny pin hole that is the microphone, a micro SD card slot and an IR LED (which I will get to later).
The battery life so far is much better that I expected, owning the Galaxy SIII which has a rather poor battery life I expected a similar affair with the Note 10.1. After charging all night on my second day of owning the tablet I turned it on at about 10am, used it for most of the day (testing everything from games to apps to Photoshop and Skype) and was still using it at about 9 or 10pm when it bleeped at me to say low battery (it bleeps when it reaches 15% remaining).
So far, so good. But how does the Samsung Note 10.1 perform?

THE BRAIN

Once turned on it takes mere seconds to load everything up, even now when I've installed tons of crap on it and synced it with hundreds of Dropbox pics. On the first switch on it takes a little longer as you need to input the date/time location and set up WiFi etc, but this is the case with all tablets.
The Multiscreen function is a great and innovative idea. If you are reading your emails and need to open a document at the same time, then Multiscreen it. This pops one app to one side and the other to the opposite side meaning you can see/work on both simultaneously. The same applies to movies. Watching a movie and you receive an email? No worries. Shrink the video screen down to a smaller box and read/reply to your message whilst continuing to watch your film.
In regards to how it performs in comparison to the iPad (and it has to be in comparison to the iPad as the Samsung Galaxy's/Note 10.1 and the iPad's are the best tablets on the market without a shadow of a doubt) I have to concede that, yes, the iPad's OSX is more reliable. Meaning that apps will crash less often and the screen will be more responsive for a larger majority of the time.
BUT, this doesn't mean what some suggest it means, i.e the Note 10.1 is worse/less powerful/not as awesome as the iPad.

What it means is this:

Apple limit what their consumers are allowed to do with their products. I am not saying this is a bad thing; it means that many who are less tech savvy need not worry about doing something that might turn their shiny new tablet into little more than a very attractive door wedge.
It means that Apple are well aware of the limits of the hardware and don't allow anything to overstep those limits. They only approve the apps that they like and there is NO chance whatsoever of installing anything third party or messing around with the settings in any way other than how Apple say you can. Which is pretty much no way.
Samsung however actually have settings on their Galaxy and Note devices that allow the device to be open to development. Check the settings. Its right there under Developer Options! Turn this setting on and you could even flash install a beta version of the new Android OS, at your own risk of course.
I wouldn't suggest it unless you know what you're doing but the option is there. When I pay £400-£500 for something, I want to do with it as I see fit; it is, after all, mine.
So all this means that sometimes the Samsung device you are using, be it Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab or whatever, might lag ever so slightly, making it seem a little unresponsive for the merest of milliseconds. An app might crash unexpectedly but this is almost always more to do with the OS (operating system, for those that don't know) than it is to do with the hardware and when it is to do with the hardware it's simply because you, the user, are probably giving it a little more to be doing than it can cope with. We have all had moments like that. For me personally, the very occasional glitch is an acceptable sacrifice for more freedom and choice in what I do with my gadget.
The Note 10.1 uses the Android OS which is used across countless devices and means that there is a massive range of apps available. You have the choice of the Samsung Apps store, which to be honest has sweet FA going for it other than the occasional gem; i.e. the Polaris Office Suite that allows you to read/edit/create MS Office documents on your tablet/phone and is free from SA Store. It is however already installed on the Note 10.1.
The other choice is Google Play Store, which is where all the best apps can be found. Pretty much anything you can get on OSX you can get on here.
The Note 10.1 is also, of course, compatible with Flash Player. Meaning that you can access and view any websites that use flash. Which is something Apple, in their infinite, god-like wisdom, decided to omit from the, otherwise generally exceptional, iPad. Apple decided that one day soon nobody would use Flash anymore. That was a while back. People still use flash. iPad's still aren't compatible with it. Go figure.

THE FACE

The other stick that Apple lovers use to beat down Samsung's tablets is the one that reminds us how the iPad has a Retina Screen...OOOOHH. Exciting huh? Well..kind of.
Let's lay this one to rest.
Yes, the iPad does have a much higher resolution in comparison to the Samsung Note 10.1 but we are talking about 2 screens here that are each approximately 10" in size.
One could argue that 1080p resolution on a TV is far better than 720p but if you are viewing it on a 19" TV how much of that are you going to genuinely notice? Not a great deal is the answer.
So although the Note 10.1 has a resolution of 1280X800 and the iPad has, an admittedly higher, 2048X1536 you are unlikely to notice it unless you hold them up side by side, use a magnifying glass and play the same HD film on each. I have done this (without the magnifying glass) and was underwhelmed by the huge (not) difference in the two.
Add to this the likelihood of you finding anything (in regards to films and honestly when we talk about HD, films are all we care about) that actually supports the level of HD the Retina screen has and it suddenly seems less of a big thing.
You certainly wont be sighing into your cornflakes as you watch an HD download of Wall-E on your Note 10.1 and wishing you had got the iPad because the picture just isn't crisp enough. Not going to happen my friend.

THE...HANDS?

Other great points about the Note 10.1 are that you can put a micro SD in it and expand the already ample 16/32GB by up to an extra 64GB, which once again is a choice Apple have taken away from you, instead opting to charge excessively more money for a version of the iPad with more memory.
And then there's the S Pen.
Oh my, the S Pen.
I do a lot of graphic design work and use a Wacom graphics tablet all the time so when I heard that the pen bundled with the Note 10.1 was designed and made by Wacom I had the highest of hopes. And I can assure you it did not disappoint.
The pen is so responsive and comfortable to use that I actually hate to touch my tablet with my fingers now, despite how shiny it is. It just feels less...effective.
The S Pen is pressure sensitive and has a soft, fine, almost fabric tip. So it's nothing like those horrible capacitive pens with the fat rubber tips you can get for the iPad and smartphones that just seem to stick on the screen all the time. The S Pen glides across the screen very smoothly.
The Note 10.1 comes bundled with Photoshop Touch which I wasn't sure I would get on with, being a lover of the PC version, but it has turned out to be a very useful tool. Its so easy to doodle and edit photos with it and with the added usability of the S Pen it has become my most used app.
The handwriting recognition is spot on pretty much 99% of the time, even with my "spider limping across the page" handwriting. The S Note app is very useful. Put the widget on your home screen and if you want to take a quick note: open it up, scribble it down and save it. Done. No need to open the keyboard and type something that auto correct will undoubtedly change to the wrong word. Don't want it written in your handwriting? Open the keyboard, change the input option to handwriting (a T with a pencil next to it), write what you want to type and watch as your scribbles are converted to crisp typeface!
The IR LED on top of the Note 10.1 also means that it can, with minimal setup, be used as a universal remote. Within a few minutes of opening the ready installed 'Peel' app I had set mine up to control my LG TV, Sony 5.1 Surround System, Set-Top Box and Sony Blu ray player. (It's also fun to sit in pubs when the football is on and turn off the TV just as a goal is about to be scored).

So to summarise.

Positives:

+Good build quality
+Powerful processor
+Crisp, clear LCD screen with nice colours and good viewing angles. HD films look stunning on it
+Minimal lagging. Any issues of unresponsiveness I have experienced so far have be the fault of either the OS or the app itself
+The S Pen is a delight to use
+Stereo speakers give a nice clear and non-tinny sound
+Good strong WiFi. Haven't yet found it to lose signal or slow down when connected
+Can be set up as a universal remote
+Pretty decent battery life

Negatives:

-Not quite as high resolution as the iPad but still a very clear and beautiful screen
-Doesn't (yet) have the easy syncing to sync contacts/pictures/films with other Samsung products that is one of the better features of owning an iPad, iPhone, iMac etc
-Camera could be higher res but it's hardly a bad camera
-Accessories are nigh on impossible to find. Even Samsung themselves are out of stock of most of them on their webstore!

So I hope my review has convinced you that the Note 10.1 is the tablet to buy and you didn't get too bored before the end, there really is so much to say about this incredible piece of kit. Having played around with most available tablets from the Kindle Fire to the Google Nexus to the iPad I feel like this one certainly has the most going for it.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 October 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 v Apple iPad (3)

The Samsung range can be very confusing and I nearly missed this product as I was constantly finding information on the Galaxy Tab (2) 10.1 and not the Galaxy Note 10.1 which is a superior product.

The Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 is a fine tablet which is functional. Let's be very clear, I am one of the earliest Apple Mac users. I have all things Apple save the iPad, which nobody can deny looks great and that look has been enhanced by the retina display screen on the iPad 3. The iPad is very intuitive (easy to use) so why did I buy the Galaxy Note 10.1?

I spent considerable time researching tablets as by enlarge I considered them a gimmick. I was looking for a tablet which was functional. By that I mean my Apple notebook pro was too much for using on social occasions and lounging around, while my iPhone too small. Tablets are the perfect size but seemed to have only novelty value. Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1 has changed that as it is very functional. I can jot down notes, nothing is faster for writing your thoughts, it's like using pen and paper, converting my awful handwriting into text. I can sketch ideas. If my partner is reading, or watching `telly' or anything cosy, I can use my Note 10.1 to browse or email the usual things but most of all I can write things down and draw. It's more comfortable than working at my desktop. Thus this tablet is not just a large version of a mobile 'phone. It does everything the iPad does with the following pluses
1. S Note - a unique and efficient tool that lets you combine notes or sketches together with web content, images and other digital media
* Handwrite notes (coverts to text) as it comes with a very functional S pen which is pressure sensitive
* Draw by hand, doodle effectively or cut and paste images with the S pen into notes and colour them in too.
2. Photoshop Touch is pre installed
3. Office is pre-installed
4. Expandable memory from 16gb
5. USB Port
6. Front camera is actually better than the iPad 3 which is still using VGA whilst Galaxy Note 10.1 uses a 1.9 mega pixel camera
7. The sound from mobiles phones and tablets is questionable at the best of times, but with Galaxy Note 10.1 the noise comes out in stereo via two front facing speakers not the rear to muffle the sound/volume (on reflection maybe the rear is the best place!)
8. Several apps running and visible on the home screen at the same time, split the screen in for example take notes on one side and browse the net on the other and pop up screens.
9. Edit videos easily on the home screen

There is more to learn with the Galaxy Note 10.1 than with the iPad but there is more to do. There is an excellent 5 star review by L Woolridge in this section dealing with issues such as battery life.

Reviews have not been as favourable to the Galaxy Note 10.1 as they could have been, we are very drawn to Apple because they are beautiful products but I think that the Galaxy is both attractive and functional in the tablet range. The S pen and flexibility gives it the edge over the iPad for me along with the ability to install flash if preferred.

Cons
1. There are less apps for this tablet but that is to going increase.
2. You will loss some resolution if you turn the screen to funny angles that you would not lose on the iPad 3 but how often do you look at images/films from a 97.5 flip angle?
3. It reads eBooks well removing any need for the Kindle Fire. At the edges if you really blow up your text there is slight pixilation that you do not get with the iPad 3 but nothing replaces the Kindle e reader which is design for reading only.
4. Seems like you have to have a Google email Account :-(

I am new to the Android technology so it is steeper learning curve but I think this is a practical, functional tablet which offers variety and flexibility without the need to jailbreak the device. I will update the review as I go along. Ps buy at John Lewis and you get a two year guarantee.

Update 13 December 2012

I have not been disappointed by the 10.1 note and I have not experienced any problems synching to my Mac or getting the same apps on both the iPhone and the android.

Highly recommend.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 October 2012
The big choice in 10" tablets is between the iPad and the Samsung Galaxy Note. If you're reading this you probably know already which camp you're in. The iPad oozes quality but forces you into doing things "the Apple way". Having used both I do think the iPad is slicker, faster and has that amazing Retina display. However I ended up buying the Samsung for its greater practicality. The features that swayed me are the touch sensitive pen, the on-board GPS and the ability to take a micro-SD card for extra storage.

Overall this is a workmanlike tablet with a lot of useful features. The most welcome surprise has been how good the GPS is. This is a true GPS that doesn't need any internet connection in order to work. It picks up a signal almost instantly, even indoors or in a moving car the signal is often locked on within 5 seconds. In combination with an app like Osmand which allows you to download free open source maps you have something that is as good as (and with a much bigger screen than) many dedicated GPS units. The Note also functions well as an e-reader (using Kindle) so for these two functions alone you've got your money's worth.

The Note is good for browsing the web but so far I haven't really got the hang of the included productivity apps. The pop-up keyboard is pretty slow to use by touch; maybe I have large fingers, but I seem to constantly hit the wrong key and then editing the entered text without a mouse to reposition the cursor is tedious. Selecting keys using the stylus is much more accurate. I've tried to take notes with the stylus in a meeting but the handwriting recognition - while mightily impressive - is too slow and not accurate enough to be really dependable. I'm writing this review on the tablet with a USB keyboard plugged in via an adapter - yes, an adapter. Why on earth Samsung chose to fit their fiddly proprietary connector instead of a USB port is beyond me.

One problem I've experienced is the often variable response of the touchscreen. Occasionally you have to stab repeatedly at the screen with your finger to get a response, but at other times just accidently brushing the screen lightly with a fingertip will cause an unwanted action like selecting a link, enlarging the view or taking a screen capture. This could be due to using a screen protector, but surely most people will choose to do this. Other foibles are due to the Android operating system rather than the tablet itself. For example, being left-handed I tend often to touch the screen capture icon near the bottom left of the screen by mistake when I pick up the tablet, and keep having to delete these unintended captures.

In summary this tablet offers great value for money and some unique features (did I mention the GPS??) but has some rough edges that just stop me giving it 5 stars.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 December 2012
The Galaxy Note 10.1 has been subject to the most savage negative reviews by the majority of the web review sites and magazines. Almost all of their reviews are unjustified, prejudiced and in some cases contain plain misinformation. As you can see from reviews here by people who actually use it, it has deservedly been well-received.

Let's look at some of the online review statements:

1. One reviewer said it was poorly constructed, creeks, is flimsy and flexes.
All of these statements are untrue. While not as solid as the ipad, the Note is perfectly adequate in construction and mine does not creek or warp.

2. Another reviewer said it was thick, heavy and cumbersome.
In fact it is roughly the same thickness as any ipad and lighter than the current ipad. It is one of the lightest tablets of its size.

3. Yet another review stated that the display stuttered and lagged.
It doesn't lag, and is smoother still if you remove the unnecessary and large widgets on the home screen.

4. Another reviewer said that the S pen was a gimmick and this tablet would only appeal to graphic designers.
This is nonsense. Even without the S pen the Note is a very good all round tablet, and its quad core CPU and 2 gigs of RAM outclasses almost all other similar-sized tablets.

5. There are universal complaints about the "low" res display.
In fact the display is vibrant and perfectly fine. It is also sharp and is quite clearly a lower resolution than the ipad because the Wacom system for the pen works better in this resolution.

6. Almost all the reviewers stated that it looks cheap and "plasticky"
In fact it looks very smart, particularly the white version, and I prefer plastic because it is easier to hold, is less likely to break when dropped, and the wi-fi signal is better through a plastic case.

What these website reviews reveal is that the authors of them did little more than open up the box, fire up the Note and play around with it for a while, not actually using it for constructive or productive purposes. I did not want a giant version of my iphone. I wanted a tablet to web browse, send emails, do WORK, write, sketch, play movies, listen to music and use it for a host of functions all of which it does exceedingly well.

The one justification at the time of release were comments about the price compared to the ipad, but those comments are now redundant since the CURRENT price of the Note 10.1 is £317, less the Samsung cash back offer which brings the price down to £267. This makes it not only £130 cheaper than an ipad but cheaper than the ipad mini, and that's because Apple keeps very tight control over pricing. So the current price makes it the highest spec tablet at the lowest price of all tablets in its class and this represents a bargain.

My one reservation is the lack of USB port and no HDMI out. That is a blot on this otherwise brilliant tablet, the first I have owned (and I've owned quite a few) that actually allows me to produce meaningful work, but it is also very good as a media consumption device. In the next few months with html 5 coming on stream and further Android updates I have no doubt that its hardware will make it smoother still to use, since its multi-core CPU and large RAM will cope very well with multi tasking, and it does this quite well even now.

Don't be put off by the obsessive fixation on retina displays comparisons in reviews. The Note's display is still very very good.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 October 2012
Samsung has quietly delivered a masterstroke and it can only get better.
I would recommend doing a thorough research via YouTube and this website. I went for the 3G version as I wanted to be able to connect anywhere - wherever I go for meetings, teachings etc. So far it hasn't disappointed me in anyway. The screen is lovely, video great, email or internet browsing and watching movies or YouTube videos is just perfect on big screen. However the S-note, the S-pen, the PS for pic editing and the multiscreen features are the ones that elevated this tab to a much higher position in my views compared to the rest of the competition,.
I did lots of research on other websites including the ones that had completely trashed this device, however the YouTube reviewers helped me lots and I would recommend people to watch some of those before spending their hard earned money. However I wasn't disappointed and I hope you find this helpful.

Tech wise I would recommend going for the 16gb version as you can add a 32gb or 64 g memory card. It's lower-than-iPad screen-resolution isn't making any difference to my day-to-day use and I wouldn't advice people to go by this. If you like taking notes, playing with pics or editing stuff this is the tablet for you. Also I found the adapters work really well and I have connected usb stick and transferred pics. I bought the cover and adapters from amazon, its Bluetooth is much more powerful then others and I found the wireless keyboard and mouse for my pc to work quite easily with it. The 2G ram and ICS android version make it much faster and intuitive than almost all the competition except for the 7 inch devices, it will be faster once jelly bean update is launched, which Samsung says will be December or January. You can do more than one thing at a time ie surf internet while taking notes, copy paste and edit pics from the net directly where you want, read books and mark or underline and personalise notes. This is THE tab for creative people and I just can't emphasize that enough. You will have to get a first hand experience or use YouTube or other reviewers.

The tablets I had looked or researched before buying this were the - ipad3, the transformer models from Asus, Lenovo ThinkPad, note 10.1 and the galaxy tab 2. I found the note 10.1 most suitable to my needs from daily work point of view as well as internet, surfing, meetings, taking notes, entertainment, picture and video taking and general use, I haven't yet explored the Polaris office which is similar to microsoft office and the PS app which can really transform and edit into amazing pics, however I will edit this and add this later.

The SIM card I got, is the 3 ultimate internet card which is a normal mobile card but with all you can eat data. I found they were happy to give me this at a great discount and also you can make phonecalls and send texts with this. This turns out cheaper than a broadband only card - I don't know why, this doesn't affect the surfing speed.
I would definitely recommend this tablet for all, especially those who consider themselves creative or would like to explore their creative Side. Good luck with tablet hunting!
Written from the note 10.1
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 September 2012
Having owned or played with most of the tablets currently available, it's refreshing to see Samsung try and mix things up a little and offer something new in terms of the s-pen input. I know HTC tried it with the Flyer but it was poorly implemented and in the end pointless. This is Samsung's 2nd generation pen device after the Galaxy Note phone which I also own and the improvements are excellent. The pen is more accurate, flows over the screen better due to an improved tip and is much easier to hold comfortably. This can be a really useful tool for all you creative types.

The included S-Pen applications are also upgraded and actually useful bloatware to have!

In summary, I like the clever split screen function, the amazing quad-core processor which flies, the intuitive S-Pen works very well and included is great selection of pre-installed s-pen focused apps. I have to say is also a cool looking device and feels well made although perhaps a tad plasticy. Personally prefer the Grey / Black version over the white buts that's just my opinion.

Not so keen on the average display resolution (missed a trick here) and rubbish camera but who used a tablet for taking photos right? Screen still performs well despite not being a top end resolution and this probably won't bother most users.

Is this the best Android tablet to date? Almost would be my answer, the Asus offerings need to be considered if you don't need the pen and /or prefer using a keyboard for input. I love and recommend, the 'Note' is going to get better and better.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 January 2013
This is a marvellous piece of kit. Last week it automatically downloaded the jelly bean software which made it even better.
For example, cut & paste is now a cinch. Audio recognition is also much improved.
One thing I should comment on. A lot of people state that printing from the Note can only be done with a Samsung printer, this is not the case. I have a HP printer & all I did was go into the Apps store & type in hp. I installed the e print App & it hasn't missed a beat.
Moreover, it will also store items if you wish to print at a later time.
I hope this is helpful.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 February 2013
Just for those outthere that dont really know lot about cpu's, tablets and smartphones, that its much cheaper to buy it without 3G and only wifi, of course you wont be able to use out of range with of wifi,but, if you have a smartphone with 3G just go into to your conectivity settings and put on your AP, know you can use your tablet through your phone anywhere you want and fast.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...