5.0 out of 5 stars A-maz-ing speaker - great quality and fantastic sound...
Published 19 months ago by S. Herbertson

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless speaker
Can't get it to work the disc will not download into my computer you would think that if you buy a sony hi-fi it would be easy to link up! Sony you are rubbish!!!
Published 11 months ago by Geoff Hann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A-maz-ing speaker - great quality and fantastic sound..., 20 Feb 2013
S. Herbertson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony NS510 Portable Wireless Speaker (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
LOVE this speaker - it's unleashed my music collection around the house at last! Prior to this I've had my iPod in various docks around the house while 26000+ tracks languished on my Mac. Now it all streams beautifully wherever I choose to put the speaker. The sound quality is so much richer and warmer than I've been used to. We have quite a complicated wifi set-up with a Sky Router and Airport Express and initially had a few conflicts when we plugged the speaker in (the set-up of which is best done through an app which is available for Apple or Android). The initial glitches were soon solved and we have now had no sound dropping at all. Music streams from my Mac via AirPlay downstairs (through thick concrete flooring in our large apartment) and we've had no trouble. Streaming direct from my phone via iMatch was a bit flakier but as all my music comes from Mac anyway, that feels like a trivial problem. I also have free subscription to Deezer through my phone contract and being able to play that through the speaker has really opened up the service. As I can play music through my TV via Apple TV, we are already able to get the party feel by synching the two and having the speaker downstairs. We will also invest in another for the bedroom as we are so impressed and love the idea of music flooding through the whole apartment. It's the SONOS effect for a fraction of the price and so user-friendly...Highly recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased, thats what we all want !!, 28 Mar 2013
Ive spent days listening to docks and speakers as i worked in one of those stores. For the price this is top notch and i defy anyone to find a airplay speaker with a battery or without, with a richer sound for this price, or less.... (I think you need to put in 350pounds on top of the 169 to get another dock that you would really notice the improvement!) This speaker was brought out to challenge the big boys! I always maintained i would purchase a Bose unit (having been very impressed with sound/build quality, but with the Bose airplay version not living up to the soundock2or3! With the price being 130 pounds more than the ns510 i could not do it! If you want to push the boat out, then sure grab your self the BW Zepplin airplay. In closing, i knew what i wanted! but ive got more than this. Easy set up, handy battery, great sound, smashing price. Enough to use in a average lounge. No bluetooth! Get it while you can! end of line!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Music made easy..!!!!!, 25 Mar 2013
Spent some time doing some research on the best wireless speakers for a reasonable price having just sold my Arcam Rcube due to the whole family owning iPhones and iPads now and Airplay being the best option to play all of our music all around the house. After deliberating on forking out £400 plus for a Zeppelin Air I came across the Sony NS510 and was sold. Listening to it in the Sony Centre I was impressed by its design difference and ease of use although the Bass did sound a little weak. However, I need not have worried as once it was delivered and had it playing the Bass did not disappoint at all.

To unpack and download the Sony App and connect to our wireless network it took all of 5 minutes before I was playing tunes and filling the room with wonderful sounds. Sony really have set he bar here with the ability to add smaller speakers for around the house at a reasonable price and also to play different music on different speakers from different devices as well as linking them all to play the same tune in party mode.....Perfect.

The NS510 also allows me to carry it into the garden (if the weather ever gets better) with its built in battery and take my music into the open air.

If you like the differing design of the NS510 it does everything you want it too and more and I don't think you will be disappointed as it opens your music library up wherever you are in the house or garden.

Great product and great quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations - so far, 7 Aug 2013
B. Downs - See all my reviews
Having had my ears opened to the world of Airplay after buying a new AV amp, I decided it might be nice to have it available in the bedroom (Apple TV device plugged into the stereo). Once I got used to that, it seemed a shame I couldn't have it in EVERY room - or the garden. So I started doing my research...

There are a lot of AirPlay speakers out there, but not many of them seem to combine decent sound quality with a rechargeable battery. I didn't really want to go the Sonos route because, frankly, for a portable device to be used in a variety of (compromised) spaces there doesn't seem much point spending that much money. I want something to pump out my music with a bit of "oomph", and I don't want to spend a fortune. If I want top-quality hi-fi sound I will be using my Grado headphones, Denon system and CDs, not a portable speaker streaming compressed audio.

So it's safe to say expectations weren't particularly high; I expected a slightly "muddy" midrange-heavy sound lacking in punch and top end. What I get from this isn't exactly the opposite, but it certainly packs a wallop and clarity is fine for what it is. I did read the other review where the reviewer found the sound "like a cheap mono radio. No real bass and farty through the base tube in the top" - I can only guess their unit was faulty, as that's not an accurate description of the sound I'm getting (although obviously it's all subjective - but I'd also guess they have some decent speakers to compare it to, so it can't be that far out).

As for the setup, I found it straightforward (although not easy). I haven't moved it around or plugged it into my network so I haven't had the problems the other 1-star reviewer had. I'm not about to go and test it out just for the sake of it - well, not until I have half an hour to set aside to fix it if mine should break as well - but I suppose I ought to test it; if it's true then those in a similar position would be well-advised to leave alone. For the time being I haven't hit those issues - and I shouldn't in the future either - so I'm happy.

All in all I'm pleased with it. It does everything I want from it - and a little better than I expected. Not quite a 5 star performance, because that should be reserved for decent hi-fi equipment. In context though - a portable music streaming device that, by its very nature, is compromised - it IS however a 5 star product in my experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile and good speaker, only downside: no FLAC support, 7 July 2013
I have purchased the Sony NS510 as the second wireless streaming speaker in my house. I have a Philips Streamium NP3900 as the main speaker/radio in the living room, and I like that one a lot. But whenever the weather is nice, and I go out in the garden, or if I'm in another room in the house for a while, I can never be bothered to unplug the Philips, replug it outside (requiring the device to stay close to the one power socket I have outside, and necessitating a very loud volume to hear it everywhere in the garden). So when I happened across the NS510 with its built-in battery, I was very tempted. I went through a lot of online reviews, listened to a salesperson in an electronics store who told me the NS510 had abysmal sound, and then tried to sell me a B&W system that could only play via Apple iTunes (I am very much not into the whole Apple thing), and finally found a demo device in another store where they let me listen to the device using my phone's audio collection to my heart's content. And then I bought mine here on Amazon.

So do I like this speaker? Yes! I like it a lot. Is the sound actually abysmal? No, not by a long shot! Though I will admit that the Philips sounds slightly better, and I'm utterly convinced that the B&W flagships sound better (at four times the price, you'd hope they would). Does it matter that the sound is not as miraculous as the best-of-the-best? Not one bit, since I actually do not notice any difference if not comparing devices side by side, and because the Sony is portable! And does this portability matter? You bet! It is a wonderful and liberating thing to be able to simply unplug this 'mini-volcano', and take it anywhere you like! I carry it around the house, but most importantly, I carry it into the garden, and can put it anywhere I want (typically that is where there is shade, so I can sit and read without melting). This in turn allows me to set it at a relatively low volume since it's so close to me, and as such does not disturb the neighbours at all. This is really a point worth emphasizing: I can put this device anywhere in my (rather large) garden, and I can keep the volume low enough for me to hear clearly, while the sound does not carry into the neighbours' gardens. I have had it playing on battery for over 6 hours outside, and it was wonderful, and so enormously easy! I was playing Mozart's Divertimenti, and everything sounded absolutely fine from start to finish. That's when I resolved to write this review, so I could share my positive experiences with this little gem with everyone.

Any other things nice about the device? Well, yes. It actually plays music omnidirectionally (because of a circular speaker layout, and those funky grills on the side, according to Sony), and that is quite a wonderful thing! Allow me to illustrate: I at one point put the device on my patio, about five meters from my sliding door, and of course I had great sound on the patio, but equally so in the garden, and even in the living room (that opens up into the patio)! The device is really projecting the music in 360 degrees, and the sound quality in any direction is identical. I must admit that I have never heard anything like this before: good sounding music everywhere without any hassle. So you really are free to position the device anywhere you want, and enjoy the music: you pick it up, set it down somewhere close by, and that's it. No angling or aiming of the speakers anymore! And that is particularly great if there are multiple people around: nobody is ever in a dead zone! A big thumbs up to the engineers of Sony, who have thus devised a revolutionary speaker, that has this amazing feature that I never thought I needed, nor considered as important to the purchase! But now I can't live without it anymore, and at least you now know better!

Some tips and tricks:
- Installation with the Sony Andriod/iPhone app is fast and painless, and for operation, I also use the free Sony app to stream music from my Synology NAS (network hard drive). I've had a few issues with the Android app MediaHouse Pro, which is the DLNA app I used before, but none with the Sony app.
- The device can play in synch together with other Sony speakers, or you can 'move' sound from one speaker to another, and even play different things on different speakers. The Sony app handles this in an elegant and easy way, and it also recognizes my Philips NP3900. And even though I cannot synch play on the Philips (that's Sony's proprietary protocol after all), I can move music to or from it, and control that speaker separately, all using the Sony app.
- I try not to leave the device in direct sunlight outdoors; it's black, so it'll likely heat up, and remember that there's a lithium battery inside. A very hot lithium battery is not necessarily a good thing.
- A negative point then: the speaker does not play the compressionless FLAC format currently (the Philips does). While I hope and pray that Sony will add the ability to the firmware at some point, I docked one star because of this. If you don't have FLAC, or don't even know what FLAC is, you can safely consider this a five-star review.

Overall conclusion: if you'd like to have a portable network music player, I guess this is the one for you. At the price, there is nothing that comes close to it, and the innovation of 360 degree play is something I'd never think I'd need, but now can't live without anymore. So a bit of a no brainer, really. If you're reading this far, you should probably get one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good sound, easily portable, easy to set up., 1 Sep 2013
Title more or less says it. I used the iPad option to set up and use the iPad app to drive a mixed DNLA network including some PCs and a Blu-Ray player which also serves a TV. With a WiFi extender I can put music anywhere in the house or (crucially) at the bottom of the garden, and I can control it from there too.

Sony make nice hardware but their software is functional but not glossy.

The delivery can be flaky sometimes - drops out. I have yet to bottom this out but my suspicions are with the DNLA as it occurs when I am trying to deliver through several devices concurrently. However this is rare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, 18 Jun 2013
Overall I think this is a bit of a bargain for £150 - the sound is great and it's relatively easy to set up. Battery is also extremely useful, it says up to 5 hours and they're probably not exagerating, I've had it outside at reasonable volume for 3-4 hours with no problems. Dropped it down to 4 stars only because once or twice (so overall very infrequently) it has dropped signal for no reason, and once I did have to reset and set it up again (which as I said is easy though, and even easier second time around).

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, 24 Mar 2014
Love this speaker, sounds awesome, loads of volume, plenty of bass. Great for listening to when in the shower. When the unit is charged it runs for hours and hours. Can't fault it!
BTW, Download "songpal" app for your phone/tablet, works so much better than the "network audio remote" app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound investment, 23 Mar 2014
This is a versatile device: we have used it with a 3.5mm lead to vastly improve the sound quality of the TV and also (with airplay) to boost the sound from the iPad. It can even be placed in a different room to the Apple machine and plays away happily for ages on battery power. There is an array of LEDs to inform the user about inputs and battery condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony can be really good!, 16 Nov 2013
S. Dewar (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
Great little speaker that really surpassed my expectations - easy set up and solid sound that is at home at the BBQ on the move. Sony still make some surprisingly good products - best airplay battery powered speaker I've heard!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›