on 25 September 2013
After having my last Canon printer for so many years and it working without a hitch, I decided to put my faith in Canon again and treat myself to a modern replacement. I previously had the MP540 and wish I'd just stuck with it or chosen a different brand now. The software for this printer is bloated and, after installing it and seeing their widget/menu cluttering my desktop, I was immediately uninstalling it. As other reviewers have said, it's not truly wireless either. I had the perfect space for this beneath my TV in the lounge, but if you want to scan or run any diagnostics it must be connected with the USB cable. So what's the point really? As I write this now, it's set up in exactly the same place as my old non-wireless printer. I can't imagine anyone moving it backwards and forwards between rooms depending on what they're using it for. Also, I'm trying to load 13cm x 18cm Canon photo paper and for the life of me wiggling it around in the tray, the printer won't pick it up. It keeps telling me the trays empty, over and over. As if these niggles aren't enough it generally just feels cheaper with less build quality. Considering my old printer was similar price range it seems 4 or 5 years advancement has done nothing. I don't feel any benefit in having upgraded to a newer model.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 June 2013
My main priority was to purchase a printer that was Windows 8 64-bit compatible. My Dell all-in-one, which worked perfectly with my Dell laptop and desktop with Windows 7 and XP-Pro respectively, would have nothing to do with my new Dell PC in spite of the various downloads available and settings suggested on the Dell website. Asking around suggested that Canon was a good option, so I bought this one partly on the basis of the functionality offered but also because it said "Windows 8 compatible" on the box. I really didn't want to mess around with downloads that might or might not work.

There are a number of downsides. The first is that it is noisy. It is not actually too bad when printing out, but the whirling and grinding that takes place before and after a print run is very loud. I find it mildly irritating after a series of printers that were very quiet. I also couldn't get the wireless to work, although I have other wireless devices that work perfectly with my PC. As the printer lives next to the PC that wasn't too much of an issue, although it would have been good to free up an additional spare USB port. It sometimes decides that it doesn't want to print if it has been dormant for a while (i.e. it doesn't always automatically take a signal from the PC to wake up). And I had some fun working out how to make Photoshop the default destination for scanned images. The scanner software that comes with the machine is ultra basic, and I would recommend upgrading to some much better scanner software if you use the scanner regularly.

The upsides are that it was easy to install, is easy to use, and it works. I have been printing enormous quantities of documentation recently and it has done a reasonable job with both text and images on the draft/ink saving setting. This is all I wanted - something that would produce reasonable results without using up too much ink. But in its higher settings, it produces really good quality results. This is with only two cartridges, which is a blessing. The cartridges are easy to get hold of (unlike Dell ones which have to be ordered from Dell). I was able to get them from my local supermarket, which means I can dash down there in an emergency, and they are also available on Amazon. They are lasting well, much better than my previous Dell printer cartridges. It is quite a small all-in-one, and therefore useful for anyone without much space (roughly 44cm wide by roughly 34cm deep). Wonderfully, it is a front-loader, so paper is fed into the printer underneath where it emerges. Again, this is great if you are aiming to save space.

I managed to lose the user guide within five minutes of purchasing the printer, but the Canon website allows you to download a replacement. It is a .exe file, though, not a PDF, which is a bit odd. It effectively loads an on-screen hyper-linked manual, which saves itself as an application on your hard drive.

Overall, it's functional and does what I want. I am glad I bought it but, from my point of view, it does have a number of minor downsides.
on 10 April 2014
5 minutes of whirring and shuddering and then an error message.
The "Low Ink" icon should be incorporated into the Canon logotype – brand new ink cartridges and hey presto – 3 black and white prints and my Yellow has run out again!
It's either that or "no paper", when the paper tray is full.

Just a huge frustration – save yourself the angst and the money and but a proper printer.
on 10 October 2013
So disappointed in this Canon. I bought in haste and it was not a patch on my old Canon printer. Really noisy, REALLY slow and I keep having to turn it on and off to wake it up. Hate it. I am returning it.
on 10 March 2014
It's noisy, painfully slow- it takes ages to even begin printing and then it's a tedious line by line event where half the page comes out unprinted. I had to print something 3 times to get the whole thing. Mine is now not working at all (second time I've attempted to use it)- it's continuously offline. I've spent hours trying to get help - customer support, gone through the manual etc etc etc to no avail. Don't buy it!
on 23 September 2013
New laptop and found my old lexmark printer wasn't compatible. Read the reviews, did the research and bought this - basic but does the job. Very pleased with it. The included ink cartridges lasted longer than I expected and I've now bought refill kits from the 'cartridge people', which are cheap and easy to use, and are working fine. I found out online how to deal with the 'cartridges empty' message that the printer keeps sending to laptop - just hold down the reset button for about 5 or so secs - its the button with a triangle inside a circle on it!
on 3 April 2014
Runs out of ink almost as soon as you put a new cartridge in. Wireless usually doesn't work. Rarely scans. Photo's - well you would be wasting you time. It can't even print a boarding pass that goes through a scanner properly (how can it not handle a barcode?).

Really one of the worst printers I have ever owned...
on 27 November 2012
I bought this printer as I wanted one that would work wirelessly with my iPads and and also with my
MacBook Air, etc. I have two other Pixmas and neither would do this, although one was a wifi enabled machine,
which would talk to Windows computers, but not to iPads. The Mg3250 was specifically advertised as being able to work with iPads etc. It was a long and frustrating battle, with the Getting Started instructions so badly written that they were more of a hindrance than a help. The Canon Support was no better. They suggested that I should put some paper in it. Yes, I had thought of that. There must be somewhere in those help pages that would reveal the secret. After thirty years of experience with computers, it had me beaten. Then I fired up the old iMac desktop, and accidentally found a Canon software tool that broke the well-concealed secret of the purpose of the USB cable, supplied with this printer, and its function in forcing the printer to acknowledge my router, leading the way, so to speak. Triumph ! IPad spoke peace unto printer. But....it still ignores all my other machines.

It feels flimsy, and is temperamental, but prints nicely, if you have a lot of patience. The ink cartridges are, I can see, going to make it expensive to run.

I wish I hadn't bought it.
77 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2014
This printer is so eager to grab the sheet of paper, it pulls it through crooked and then chews it up! It does this on quality 120gsm paper too, not just the thin rubbishy stuff. It's now out of its 30 day return to Amazon period, so I've got to pay to send it to Canon. Not worth it. Avoid.
on 2 December 2012
Easy to set up - the only time consuming bit was waiting for the software to download, but once the whole thing was connected - voila!