5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing in the Fountain
I was interested to read this book like quite a few I have read about an Ex Pat though from the U.S.A. and not from the U.K. relocating to Spain.
Published 1 month ago by Judith Benson

3.0 out of 5 stars informative
This is a ok book. The author is very passionate about Seville and its people, but to me it seem like just a way of life. It is a nice book if you want to know about Seville but I have to say she is over selling it
Published 6 months ago by F. Miri

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing in the Fountain, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Dancing in the Fountain: How to Enjoy Living Abroad (Kindle Edition)
It is always interesting to hear about the experiences of others , which in this instance was quite different to ours as The McCann's moved to a flat in Seville whereas we are renovating( and have been for 10+ years) an old farmhouse in the "campo" in Almeria Province.
Many of the experiences are the same though and I kept thinking "that happened to us" many times while reading the book.
The information put in to this book is brilliant and invaluable to anyone wanting an insight in to the life here in Spain.
I will say that we have found the Health Service extremely good as I took my husband to Huercal Overa Hospital ,10 minutes from home at midnight on a Thursday and he was sent by helicopter to Almeria at 2pm Friday and came out of Theatre to go to I.C.U. at 6pm following an operation for an Aneurism of his Abdominal Aorta. Both hospitals and staff were brilliant!
Well done Karen on the book and I hope to hear more of yourlife in Spain and the U.S.A. of course!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book about both moving cultures and Seville, 4 Oct 2012
This is an outstanding book for a number of reasons.

Whilst they are very entertaining reads, the stories in books like Driving Over Lemons, are basically other people's lives. The beauty of Dancing in the Fountain is that it is a book that talks about the experiences that anybody moving to a new country and city, battling with a new language and generally trying to understand what is going on - is going to face.

Furthermore, most of us, don't go and give up our lives and buy a farmhouse in a foreign country. This is why McCann's book is so clever, it actually talks about what it is like to move gradually from one culture (your own) to another. I have lived abroad for many years in different countries, but it was this realism that really appealed to me - I could really recognise some of the issues and advantages that the author brought up as a result of living in two different cultures.

The second reason I liked this book is that it provides a very good description from a foreign (albeit insider) perspective of one of my favourite cities in the world. Seville is the 'true' spain - and the author has captured the feel of the city really well.

Finally, its just a damn good read! Some of the stories that McCann described made me cry with laughter. The story of the snake and the husband was unforgettable and I have used it many times since!! Actually some of the best stories of the book are related to the husband - he seems to be really long suffering!

Generally, a really good read - well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seville Here I Come !, 31 July 2014
This book was brilliant for me. I am thinking of relocating to Andalucia and have been visiting there for over 30 years. This book is well written especially for someone who has only been to Seville on a couple of occasions. I loved the way she describes the people of Seville and all experiences she has from dealing with government forms to leisurely activities - and manages to make it amusing and readable.
Cant wait to explore the region more!

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a slog!, 5 July 2014
I found this book quite a slog to finish. It was most interesting in the last few chapters about visitors. I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone I know....I've read far better books on living abroad.I feel the author wasn't quite sure who she was writing for. As a consequence it didn't bring me any satisfaction other than relief to have finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating!, 13 May 2014
This was compelling, perceptive, amusing, yet practical. I loved reading it and only wished the book were longer! Second volume?

5.0 out of 5 stars joyous, 28 April 2014
josephine (wigan, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a pleasure to have an 'expat' book that is a joyous adventure. Many who write on this theme list so many complaints you wonder why the authors chose to leave their previous life to 'suffer' abroad???
Yes, there are serious comments, the transient nature of the 'expat' community being one, and the lack of libraries and a choice of social interaction draws other important comparisons.
As a British 'most of the year expat' in Greece, it was interesting to read this account of life in Spain and find that the underlying experience was much the same. It is often the attitude you travel with that colours the experience.
Josephine Kelly author 'From Lindos with Love'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read about Sanish life, 9 April 2014
Nice to read if you live or are thinking of living in this part of Spain, lots of things you can relate to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight, 25 Feb 2014
Having recently moved to Spain (Catalunya) is was easy to identify with much that was said, particularly language problems when visiting the doctor, and the never-ending bureaucracy. The book was well written and an enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars informative, 11 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Seville treat, 29 Jan 2014
One of the best books I've read about the south of Spain. Accurate and a fascinating insight into one of Spain's most historic cities.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›