6,293 Reviews
 (3,750)
 (1,073)

9,636 of 9,799 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD - what is it for?
I hesitate to dip my toe in the turbulent waters of Kindle Fire HD customer reviews, but having owned the 32GB version for two weeks now my thoughts might be useful to some. I already own a Kindle 3G and a WiFi/3G Ipad, against which the Fire HD seems to be regularly compared against. The Kindle is primarily used to take books on holiday, and the Ipad is used at home...
Published 20 months ago by Stormcat

3,630 of 3,843 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Device Ruined by Amazon's Restrictive Software
This is a carefully considered review that acknowledges the good and bad fairly. I have been an Amazon customer for several years and have always praised Amazon's peerless customer service, its quick response and despite the criticisms here I happily acknowledge that my telephone complaints about this product were dealt with politely and generously. But this device has...
Published 20 months ago by R Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for knitting patterns!, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
This is most definitely a non-technical review. I don't do technicalities so its just a very personal statement of facts.

I shamelessly bought a Fire HD for no reason other than fun. We all deserve 'fun' and it's very easy to forget that we deserve 'fun' because it's an essential in life when you're a bit on the 'mature' side of life. I've put a handful of knitting patterns on mine and love how I can make pattern charts larger with a flick of my fingers and the colours are just great when it comes to colourwork charts. I've been able to download an app. which lets me outline sections, highlight the row I'm on and all sorts of knitterly nonsense. It's just made knitting even more fun.

I'm stuck on Level 7 of Angry Birds and have an assortment of games and puzzles, am e-mailing stuff to myself, am setting up Skype, am buying the odd utility app., books and music, think the sound quality is excellent, the pictures are brilliant and my Grandsons are speechless with admiration that I can even turn it on and - let's be honest - the screen is far bigger than their titchie smart 'phones when it comes to playing games which is why they're constantly asking if they can just try it out ... Another thing, it doesn't take rocket science to operate it because I'm doing it quite happily and so far, operating a video recorder is a mystery to me.

The charger. If you want faster battery charging, the Fire HD adaptor is an essential tool. It costs extra? Well yes but then again, you're not paying a huge amount for a tablet so either fork out for the special charger or have patience whilst your Fire fires up using another charger. I think the Fire HD is a lovely, useful and excellent way of spending time, money and having fun. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars why can't you watch films offline!, 25 Oct 2012
I bought this for my commute into work and for holidays specifically to watch films, tv shows etc. The reason I bought it was that it had the large memory capacity and I believed it would have similar options to other tablets and computers (like itunes for example) ie that you could download to buy or rent movies and watch them offline. (The pricepoint was also attractive as I always felt uneasy lugging a 400 ipad around). However, Lovefilm is the only place you can get films/tv shows using the Fire and you can only stream movies while connected to the internet. ANNOYING! I am guessing Amazon are trying to get you to buy the DVD (from them), to then burn it onto your computer and then transfer accross but this is so long winded. Amazon really need to sort this out asap so the system is similar to that in the U.S or itunes. (note to Amazon: Make the functionality as easy as it is to buy from Amazon products and you will have a winning product)

The sound quality is great, as is the screen and if they sort out the above problem I would give it 4 or 5*. I was in 2 minds as to whether to send it back but I will persevere. I am disappointed because I was really hoping it would 'wow' me and I feel slightly underwhelmed.

5.0 out of 5 stars kindle hd, 25 Oct 2012
Arrived today, already read some bad reviews, well my opinion is , great for the money, everything works, there's people complaing Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers about apps, install your own, not difficult, just allow it, , settings, google it, flash working , so is u tube, bbci player working, these moaners havnt even got use to it or tried to install anything apart from amazon store,the only thing i see wrong with this is finding the on off and vol buttons in the dark,
BUY IT !

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Oct 2012
Let me get one thing straight - I have an iPad, used daily. I bought the Kindle Fire Hd primarily for reading, and as a mobile library, with immediate access to a book store, I cannot rate it highly enough for my purposes. On top of this I have access to my email, a place to show off my favourite photos, some useful apps, a bit of music and the opportunity to stream videos. This means when I am travelling, and away for periods of time in our camper I have everything I need, and don't have to take the IPad + kindle + chargers (I hate reading books on the IPad, the Kindle fire hd with its cover still feels like a regular book). I love having colour, the book covers are so much more inviting, and magazines are brought to life. On top of all this I can keep in touch with my cousins in America via Skype.

I can only think that many who are very dissatisfied did not read the pre release reviews, which gave information which might have saved them from disappointment. The Kindle Fire Hd 32gb is 199, WELL below the price of an IPad, or similar, and in my view is fantastic value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire VS Paperwhite, 27 Nov 2013
**I will be posting this comment on the paperwhite product as well**

I love being up to date on the latest technology especially when it comes to my kindle.
I previously owned the 69 kindle and about 10 months ago I decided to upgrade my kindle. I was torn between the Paperwhite and the Kindle Fire. I followed the advice which my boyfriend suggested and bought my kindle fire, as I could use this to catch up on my emails (I am a student so I am constantly being emailed about lectures), I liked the fact it was touch screen and had a screen like my laptop.

I was drawn by the larger screen, the speakers with the Dolby Audio and the better screen resolution on the fire. I was using this for the reading my books whilst I was travelling to and from uni. I had to purchase a anti-glare screen protector as I found the glare was making it hard to read whilst I was on the bus. This didn't really make the glare go away fully but it helped. I then only used the fire for this only I never used all the other features.

I still felt like I was still missing something when I was reading. I then convinced myself to buy the paperwhite and I have never felt better when reading the books. The fact it is more like a book when I am reading I have already gone through two books in the space of 3 days.

What I am trying to say is the kindle fire is more for the watching films and browsing the internet, also playing games. Whereas the if you are looking for closely to the book feeling then you should definitely should get the paperwhite.

I know this might not be a very useful review but I wanted to get how I felt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit., 29 Oct 2012
As I write this review I am sitting in my room watching season 1 of LOST, streamed through the months free trial of LOVEFILM without any stops for buffering and the picture is second to none.

My television programme preference aside, I've had my Kindle Fire HD now for 2 days and all my initial fears have been extinguished through exploration of the gadget and with help from Google and people who are technically more advanced than myself. I'll give you a little background on myself so you can relate to my worries about the Kindle Fire HD. I'm currently a Product Design Engineering student at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow and I really wanted this gadget to aide me with my Uni work as well as a device for media. So when I heard that there aren't as many apps available as iTunes App Store and Google Play I got worried, and also that it was Amazon's version of Android as apposed to the basic version which you'd find on a Nexus 7 meaning I wouldn't be able to customise it in a way which I wanted and it may limit the potential functionality for me. Now onto the actual product...

As a Product Design student I tend to quickly notice potential flaws in design which may limit functionality and with the Kindle it was no different. The aesthetics of the product over all are amazing, it's sharp and clean. As a functioning product it can be somewhat difficult to locate the lock button and volume controls, but I think like any product the different locations of the buttons will take a while getting used to (I recently changed from an HTC Desire to a Galaxy S3 and to begin with the different position of the lock button was irritating, now I can't imagine it any other way). The ports for the charger are in an awkward position in the sense that if you wish to stand it upright (with the aide of one of the covers, like the Amazon one I purchased) to watch videos, you cannot, because the port is in the way, so upright viewing is only possible whilst not on charge. That mishap aside, the physical design of the Kindle leaves me with a sense that I've paid for something of quality. There's a good solid weight to it and the size makes it good to hold compared to the awkwardness of holding an iPad.

On to the software side of things. I read a lot of comments saying you can't get certain apps on the Amazon App Store. This is true, but it isn't the end of the world. For example, I am a big user of Dropbox for University files because of it's ease of use and there's no worry of losing your data. I tried to download it about half an hour after opening my Kindle to find that it wasn't available to my utter dissapointment, but upon doing a simple Google search for 'dropbox on kindle fire hd' I found a guide that told me I can download apps from a non-trusted source (i.e. not the amazon app store with a simple change of settings) and download the Android version of Dropbox directly from the site and install it and now I have Dropbox. It will be the same for any app you want. Also, as I mentioned I wanted the Kindle for Uni work and the programs I require are things like Dropbox, Microsoft Office/PDF Editor (I bought OfficeSuite Professional 6) and Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. I found ALL of these things on the app store! I can even control my desktop computer and all the programs and media I have on that remotely using Splashtop Remote Desktop! There may not be as many apps on the Amazon App Store as there are on iTunes and Google Play, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't get what you want with a little extra work.

On to using the Kindle. At first I really didn't like the carousel feature on the home screen, I was a big fan of the basic Android layout and not having my main apps all in one place was sort of off putting. Now I really like it! It's ordered by the content that was used most recently so I never really have to go far to get back to what I was doing previously. All other forms of content, be it apps, books, videos, music or entering the store are all available from the home screen as well, making navigation pretty slick. When you have apps highlighted on the carousel Amazon also have a 'users also bought' section below the app which is really helpful for discovering apps that you'll love. When Amazon designed this tablet as a shop window for their content they really knew what they were doing. It's so easy just to spend your money on the things you want and they make the things you'll want very noticeable with the features I mentioned previously.

I had thought, should I have waited on the iPad Mini? Paid a little extra for that tablet instead of this one? My answer now is no. The Amazon App Store may be lacking and so may LOVEFILM currently, but the American market place has been running for a year or two longer, which is a massive length of time in the technology world. I can only see the Kindle Fire HD experience getting better as time progresses. Overall I'm really happy with this product and will continue to be in the future I'm sure.

I've not attempted to put any of my own movie files on to the tablet yet but will in the future, like with the Dropbox anecdote, I'm sure where there is a will there is a way. Contrary to some other product reviews where people have seem to have hit a wall.

With regards to the Ads on the lock screen. Save yourself the 10. They're absolutely not an issue and can alert you to deals such as free content and new content which is coming soon. The first ad I had was a notice of the up coming release of The Dark Knight Rises. Being a massive Batman fan, this helped m approve of the ads!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle fire, 21 Nov 2013
Damain Ryan (cork ,ireland) - See all my reviews
Hi This will be my 3rd kindle fire but my first kindle fire HD,I was looking for a while trying all the other sites but when i saw it for 99 I just had to buy it. As a tablet it works great, its fast, plays movies surfs the web all with no issues, as a reader it's also great no matter what the light you can always see the screen books delivered as soon as I hit the buy now button. I have nothing but good things to say about Amazon, i have had some trouble with my older kindles but they were always sorted out by their customer support. I have also a 1st gen kindle that i got years ago when my screen broke they replaced the item no problem so can't say enough about their support. If you get one you will not be disappointed . But you will have to keep an eye on the price as you can see they have a habit of dropping their price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being a gadget & book geek, I love it!!, 30 Sep 2013
My boyfriend bought me this for my birthday and I was most pleased with it. I am a bit of a geek when it comes to both gadgets and books so this sorted out both and more! I'm very pleased with it and frequently using it to read.

The display is razor sharp and it doesn't feel as heavy as my Asus Transformer Prime TF30Ot tablet, which is perfect my reading.

Would definitely recommend it, 5 stars indeed!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Device Poor Software, 19 July 2013
P. J. Bayliss "Digger" (Warwickshire, uk) - See all my reviews
I bought a Kindle Fire from a leading retail outlet yesterday and set it up with the Kindle and Music side of my Amazon account all good so far, I then went to the app store to download my favourite apps, Dolphin Browser, Google Maps, Google Keep, Google Chrome, Co-Pilot, Google Play, Norton Identity Safe etc,

I was shocked to find that none of the above and many more of my favourite apps were completely missing from the Device and from the Amazon app store, now I know this is essentially a reader for Amazon but it is also an Android Tablet which is a Google operating system Tablet, which I for one expected to be able to use the Apps i have on my Android phone on this device, Amazon will not allow you to use any Google apps it seems.

The built in Silk browser is frankly rubbish so you need to install an alternative, you can't without an awful lot of messing about side loading apk's from the internet, this then puts you in danger of internet nasties as the app's are not going through an app store screening process, Amazon Kindle Fire customers should not have to put up with having to try to side load apps onto a Tablet in this way.

Today I have taken it back to Hurry's and swapped it for a Samsung Galaxy tab 2, this was a completely different experience, just log in with your Samsung account and Google account and Hey presto all of your saved apps etc drop straight in and are ready to go (assuming you have both accounts)- on the Samsung I have the Amazon mp3, Store, Kindle apps so I can use these on a Samsung Google powered device, you might think that Amazon would reciprocate and allow Google on their Fire wouldn't you? well don't assume like I did - You can't

Good physical product, rubbish software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD 7", 4 July 2013
I absolutely love the Kindle Fire HD 7", cannot fault it, it really does do all it says it does. Read some great books and overall is much faster than my laptop. Especially, for me, i love the skype app that is already installed as i can talk to my daughter who is in Australia and video and audio quality is superb. Also watched quite a few films and same again quality is second to none. Cannot recommend the Kindle Fire HD enough, one of the best items i have ever purchased. So impressed i even bought another one for my dad for his birthday.