Published 21 months ago by G Marwaha

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
Goes on ok. Looked ok. Now looks scuffed and grubby. Bit like me. Not bad for the money. Hey ho
Published 1 month ago by Scott Conroy

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers a good level of protection for everyday use and does not add bulk, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Case Mate Tough Case for Apple iPhone 5 - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This is the second case I've bought for the iPhone 5 following my recent purchase of the Snugg iPhone 5 Case / The New iPhone Case - Snugg Squared_ Skinny Fit Protective Case Cover- Superior Quality, Non Slip Material, High Protective, Lightweight Case - Lifetime Guarantee (Black) - for Apple iPhone 5/The New iPhone - From Snugg, The Creato..., which I found to be a very poor product.

The Case Mate comes in two parts, the first is a rubber bumper that fits snugly (no pun intended) around the edges of the phone. There are protective 'bumps' for the power button at the top of the phone and the volume controls, and you don't require any extra force to operate those buttons with the bumper on. There are openings for the silent switch, audio jack and lightening power cable, and an opening on the rear of the case for the camera. Once you've put the bumper on, the phone+bumper slot neatly into a hard protective case, which provides solid protection to the rear and the sides of the phone. The case+bumper combo means that there is a small raised ridge around the front of the phone, which will come in handy in protecting the screen when placed face-down on a surface. It takes less than two minutes to take the case out of the box and set up on your phone.

I disagree with the reviewer who has said this case adds too much bulk and weight to the phone - most decent cases will add some bulk and a little weight. In this instance, I would say the bulk/weight issue is minimal and are far out-weighed by the protection the case offers. We're talking a few grams of extra weight and an extra couple of mm of "bulk". As for the argument the case is slippery, well it's not as slippery as the phone on its own. I have also combined my case with a front and rear screen protector that I purchased from a well-known online auction site.

The Case Mate is more about function rather than aesthetics, so yes the look/feel of the phone are hidden; but for me, a case is about providing an adequate level of protection to my phone - I'm not an owner who sits drooling over the aesthetics of a piece of brushed aluminium. An iPhone is an expensive outlay and I want to keep my phone in good working order. So I narrowed my choice to this Case Mate and the OtterBox Commuter Case for iPhone 5 -Black and in the end I went for the Case Mate because I have previously owned an Otterbox and just found it too bulky for everyday use.

Overall, a good case for everyday use. If you're using your phone in a more demanding environment (outdoors, building site, etc), then this case isn't probably the correct one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 23 Jan 2014
i gave it five stars be cause it looks nice, protects my phone, fits well, has stood the test of time. I bought the white one first but it quickly got stained the clear one has remained clear. I did a lot of research before I bought and it paid off

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, 30 July 2013
Brilliant - probably the best case on the market - and I know cos I've had a few!! Comes in two parts, a rubber bumper, which then slots firmly into the rigid case. Fits like a dream, and my iphone is now cosy and protected from damage!! The only slight downside is that converters from 30 pin to lightening tend to not fit into the gap, so you need to remove the case for charging on anything but a lightening lead. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A good case, 14 Jun 2013
This is a sturdy case with two separate parts, a rubber surround to cover the edges, sides and buttons, and a plastic case for the back and sides. The rubber surround should also protect the screen from a drop. it feels good to hold because it's not too thick, but also feels as if it offers a lot of protection. I've always been happy with case mate cases, as I have used for previous phones. This case is definitely worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars iPhone Casemate, 30 Aug 2013
Appears to protect the phone well without compromising the way the phone looks. Slimline and practical. I would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 13 Jun 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed a case to protect when carried, 4 Jun 2014
Case Mate tough case is a quality item, which does the job required in protecting my phone whilst being carried, without hampering view or function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good low cost case., 1 Jun 2014
D. Jones - See all my reviews
Al described, good fit and look. Comments about not being able to press buttons are somewhat true but what do you expect? Use a finger nail. I would especially call out the two piece design which really helps with fit and protection. I has cheaper similar cases for a 4a before and they have sagged and become misshapen with time. This one won't.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 31 May 2014
Mr. Rupert W. R. Atkins "boom123" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This is fantastic. Really good price. High quality. phone is still in good nick after a few drops and a few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, Don, 25 May 2014
This protector is great. I've always preferred Case Mate over any other product. I and my iPhone homies quite often compare our iPhone cases and mine wins pretty much everytime.

You can't go wrong with this one!

Previously used Case Mate for 3GS & 4S phones.