Published on 17 Oct 2012 by G Marwaha

3.0 out of 5 stars Chunkier than I thought
Used to have the case mate barely there. Which was, indeed, barely there. This has a bit more chunkiness to it, better protection but not as slick. Think I'll be buying the barely there again.
Published 10 months ago by S. Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers a good level of protection for everyday use and does not add bulk, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Case Mate Tough Case for Apple iPhone 5 - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This is the second case I've bought for the iPhone 5 following my recent purchase of the Snugg iPhone 5 Case / The New iPhone Case - Snugg Squared_ Skinny Fit Protective Case Cover- Superior Quality, Non Slip Material, High Protective, Lightweight Case - Lifetime Guarantee (Black) - for Apple iPhone 5/The New iPhone - From Snugg, The Creato..., which I found to be a very poor product.

The Case Mate comes in two parts, the first is a rubber bumper that fits snugly (no pun intended) around the edges of the phone. There are protective 'bumps' for the power button at the top of the phone and the volume controls, and you don't require any extra force to operate those buttons with the bumper on. There are openings for the silent switch, audio jack and lightening power cable, and an opening on the rear of the case for the camera. Once you've put the bumper on, the phone+bumper slot neatly into a hard protective case, which provides solid protection to the rear and the sides of the phone. The case+bumper combo means that there is a small raised ridge around the front of the phone, which will come in handy in protecting the screen when placed face-down on a surface. It takes less than two minutes to take the case out of the box and set up on your phone.

I disagree with the reviewer who has said this case adds too much bulk and weight to the phone - most decent cases will add some bulk and a little weight. In this instance, I would say the bulk/weight issue is minimal and are far out-weighed by the protection the case offers. We're talking a few grams of extra weight and an extra couple of mm of "bulk". As for the argument the case is slippery, well it's not as slippery as the phone on its own. I have also combined my case with a front and rear screen protector that I purchased from a well-known online auction site.

The Case Mate is more about function rather than aesthetics, so yes the look/feel of the phone are hidden; but for me, a case is about providing an adequate level of protection to my phone - I'm not an owner who sits drooling over the aesthetics of a piece of brushed aluminium. An iPhone is an expensive outlay and I want to keep my phone in good working order. So I narrowed my choice to this Case Mate and the OtterBox Commuter Case for iPhone 5 -Black and in the end I went for the Case Mate because I have previously owned an Otterbox and just found it too bulky for everyday use.

Overall, a good case for everyday use. If you're using your phone in a more demanding environment (outdoors, building site, etc), then this case isn't probably the correct one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, 30 July 2013
Brilliant - probably the best case on the market - and I know cos I've had a few!! Comes in two parts, a rubber bumper, which then slots firmly into the rigid case. Fits like a dream, and my iphone is now cosy and protected from damage!! The only slight downside is that converters from 30 pin to lightening tend to not fit into the gap, so you need to remove the case for charging on anything but a lightening lead. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 23 Jan 2014
i gave it five stars be cause it looks nice, protects my phone, fits well, has stood the test of time. I bought the white one first but it quickly got stained the clear one has remained clear. I did a lot of research before I bought and it paid off

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Choice, 15 Sep 2014
Whilst the true test is when I drop my phone, this case is a very good fit, looks good, feels secure and everything works on the phone as it does without a case on. It seems tricky to get a case which is genuinely made for a 5c (and not a 5 or 5s) and the choice of the Case-mate Tough Naked seemed like the right one after plenty of homework. Dispatch was as advertised, and the case was well packaged. I am not disappointed, in fact I'm happy with the product. If it fails the drop test I'll be writing again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good low cost case., 1 Jun 2014
D. Jones - See all my reviews
Al described, good fit and look. Comments about not being able to press buttons are somewhat true but what do you expect? Use a finger nail. I would especially call out the two piece design which really helps with fit and protection. I has cheaper similar cases for a 4a before and they have sagged and become misshapen with time. This one won't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, Don, 25 May 2014
This protector is great. I've always preferred Case Mate over any other product. I and my iPhone homies quite often compare our iPhone cases and mine wins pretty much everytime.

You can't go wrong with this one!

Previously used Case Mate for 3GS & 4S phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 11 May 2014
Having read through the reviews, I decided to go for this as a compromise between covering my phone with 3 inches of reinforced steel for protection and keeping it as close to its bare form as possible.

The black rubber bumper absorbs the shock of a fall, and the clear hard plastic case supports the rubber bumper from the sides and protects the back from impact and scratches. The combined effect is one of protection from knocks, bumps, and even falls from standing height onto hard ground (as it happened to me the other day), whilst showing off the back of the iphone and avoiding bulking it up too much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great & has saved my phone., 25 April 2014
I like these cases, but there just wasn't a colourway that I liked - so I ended up buying this one, and the purple / turquoise one. I now have a purple outer (black was just too dull) and black inner and I like that very much.

I have dropped my phone twice since having this case and it's still fine - difficult to say whether the case saved the phone, but I like to think it did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Case, 27 Feb 2014
Needed to protect hte phone and this case does the job, is just what I wanted for functionality and protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Feb 2014
I work in heavy industry and needed something tough. This is just the job, very sturdy and easy to use.