Published on 17 Oct. 2012 by G Marwaha

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not what you would expect from case mate
Published 21 months ago by Gareth Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers a good level of protection for everyday use and does not add bulk, 17 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Case Mate Tough Case for Apple iPhone 5 - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This is the second case I've bought for the iPhone 5 following my recent purchase of the Snugg iPhone 5 Case / The New iPhone Case - Snugg Squared_ Skinny Fit Protective Case Cover- Superior Quality, Non Slip Material, High Protective, Lightweight Case - Lifetime Guarantee (Black) - for Apple iPhone 5/The New iPhone - From Snugg, The Creato..., which I found to be a very poor product.

The Case Mate comes in two parts, the first is a rubber bumper that fits snugly (no pun intended) around the edges of the phone. There are protective 'bumps' for the power button at the top of the phone and the volume controls, and you don't require any extra force to operate those buttons with the bumper on. There are openings for the silent switch, audio jack and lightening power cable, and an opening on the rear of the case for the camera. Once you've put the bumper on, the phone+bumper slot neatly into a hard protective case, which provides solid protection to the rear and the sides of the phone. The case+bumper combo means that there is a small raised ridge around the front of the phone, which will come in handy in protecting the screen when placed face-down on a surface. It takes less than two minutes to take the case out of the box and set up on your phone.

I disagree with the reviewer who has said this case adds too much bulk and weight to the phone - most decent cases will add some bulk and a little weight. In this instance, I would say the bulk/weight issue is minimal and are far out-weighed by the protection the case offers. We're talking a few grams of extra weight and an extra couple of mm of "bulk". As for the argument the case is slippery, well it's not as slippery as the phone on its own. I have also combined my case with a front and rear screen protector that I purchased from a well-known online auction site.

The Case Mate is more about function rather than aesthetics, so yes the look/feel of the phone are hidden; but for me, a case is about providing an adequate level of protection to my phone - I'm not an owner who sits drooling over the aesthetics of a piece of brushed aluminium. An iPhone is an expensive outlay and I want to keep my phone in good working order. So I narrowed my choice to this Case Mate and the OtterBox Commuter Case for iPhone 5 -Black and in the end I went for the Case Mate because I have previously owned an Otterbox and just found it too bulky for everyday use.

Overall, a good case for everyday use. If you're using your phone in a more demanding environment (outdoors, building site, etc), then this case isn't probably the correct one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, 30 July 2013
Brilliant - probably the best case on the market - and I know cos I've had a few!! Comes in two parts, a rubber bumper, which then slots firmly into the rigid case. Fits like a dream, and my iphone is now cosy and protected from damage!! The only slight downside is that converters from 30 pin to lightening tend to not fit into the gap, so you need to remove the case for charging on anything but a lightening lead. Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not what you would expect from case mate, 12 Oct. 2013
First of all the description for this product does not match the product itself. What comes in the box is a piece of silicon that goes around the edge of the phone over which you put on a piece of clear plastic. NOTE this plastic is shiny and smooth and not rugged as mentioned. It makes the phone more likely to slip out of your hand! I was very disappointed with the quality of this case for the price, compared to some case mate "toughs" i've seen - for the Galaxy S3 for example.

I bought this case so I could see the colour of my iPhone 5c through the transparent back. Once i opened it and looked at what i had received for £25 I quickly opted to return it.

I'm sure there are better cases out there for the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 11 May 2014
Having read through the reviews, I decided to go for this as a compromise between covering my phone with 3 inches of reinforced steel for protection and keeping it as close to its bare form as possible.

The black rubber bumper absorbs the shock of a fall, and the clear hard plastic case supports the rubber bumper from the sides and protects the back from impact and scratches. The combined effect is one of protection from knocks, bumps, and even falls from standing height onto hard ground (as it happened to me the other day), whilst showing off the back of the iphone and avoiding bulking it up too much.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Bumper' protection for a reasonable price - Also fits the 5s., 7 Feb. 2014
A nice sturdy case composing of two parts - a soft 'inner' bumper that surrounds the phone and a hard protective outer shell.

As a device designed purely to protect the phone (it arguably does not add anything aesthetically unless you prefer the utilitarian look) you would expect it to be up to the task. Fortunately, this case is very rigid - even without the phone inside, you can squeeze this case across its portrait dimensions with very little flex. In terms of pure strength, this should offer more protection than a standard, similarly priced silicone case.

I got this for my 5s and it fits perfectly as it should do - the iPhone 5 and 5s have the same external dimensions. This at the time of purchase wasn't made particularly clear but iPhone 5s owners can buy with confidence.

This case still provides clear access to all the relevant speakers/ports/sockets and buttons. My only criticism here is the fact that the fact that the enclosed power button does make it considerably harder to press, a trait not shared by the enclosed volume buttons (where perhaps the material is a little thinner).

Another slight negative is the fact that the phone is not easy to remove from the case once it's all in place. Fortunately, I don't plan to remove the case too often but its something to consider if you have a docking station which is unaccommodating of cased phones. To remove it, you will find you have to bend the edges a little which over time may make for a loose fitment.

All in all, I think for the current £9.95 asking price this case is well worth the money .

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but dirty quickly, 18 Jun. 2015
bought this case to give my phone a bit of protection for when your mate decides to have a look at photos on your phone when he's drunk and suddenly forgets how to grab things. While it won't protect it from the beer, it'll certainly stop the floor collision from causing too much damage!

I bought the white variant as I had the white iPhone 5C and thought it would suit the phone better. However the protective material gets dirty quickly and will start to turn grey. So far I haven't found a way to clean this, but the sides and back of the case are protected by a secondary plastic shell so only the front and bottom of the case discolours.

It's worth mentioning that the case has a slight lip around the screen, so should you drop your phone a small height screen-down, it should give it a slight cushiony fall and stop those ludicrous screen smashes.

I'm very happy with this case and asides the dirt issue (get the black variant, job done!) I highly recommend this case!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect shell, 28 July 2013
I was looking for a shell to protect the iPhone 5 as much as possible but be as small and as unobtrusive as possible.
Essentially a conflicting set of priorities.
After trying many many cases this is clearly the best and the best thought out. Not to mention it is very good looking:

1. Two part design. Inner part protects the phone from impact but is soft so also prevents scratches when fitting the main case.
2. Slightly raised about the screen, very subtle but plenty enough to protect when its put upside down
3. Bottom with charge port fully protected, I don't like cases which are merely open to the two corners. However this can cause an issue with the apple old port to lightening adaptor
4. Looks very smart
5. Texture grippy for holding.
6. All sides well protected
7. Multiple colours are nice. I chose black.
8. Reasonable price compared to some

highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough little case, 13 Mar. 2013
I previously purchased the equivalent of this case for my Samsung Galaxy and it's lasted me over 2 years and protected the Android just find despite some serious droppage.
That's why I opted for this case as it's as close as I could get for the iPhone equivalent. It is indeed very tough and certainly seems durable. I have already dropped the iPhone 5 a couple of times, but with this case on the phone does little more than bounce when it hits the floor.
It's slim, easy to grip and doesn't detract radically from the phone's appearance. My only criticism would be that it is really hard to remove due to it's rigidness, and the power button is pretty hard to press too, but for the protection it provides it's no major deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Case, 21 Sept. 2013
M. J. Doyle ""Popeye"" (West Country) - See all my reviews
This is the second Case Mate Tough Case that I have bought. I previously had one on my iPhone 4S.
I looked everywhere to try and find a case that was Tough and Dual coloured as my 4S case was (It was Yellow Silicone Inner case with a Black Outer). But I could only find the Black on Black.
That said I am very pleased with this case as I was with the one previous.
It adds a little bit of bulk to the 5 but not too much. And this is far outweighed by the protection it gives.
All the controls are still very easy to operate and the case does not interfere in any way.
It also adds a little weight but again not that much.
Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Colour fades after 2/3 days of use, 5 Dec. 2014
I bought this case as I have the black one and thought I fancied something a bit more colourful. I was wrong. The case itself offers good protection without adding too much bulk, however the reason I've rated this so low is because of its longevity. The colour on the grey bumper fades after just a few days in your pocket to reveal the black mould it has obviously originally spray painted over. Absolutely shocking quality from a case that isn't exactly cheap - do yourself a favour and only buy the black case if you absolutely have to buy this one.