Format: Audio CDChange

on 31 October 2012
I should impart a sort-of vested interest here first; I am a huge fan of Stenson in any scenario. This recording distills everything that I love above his art: the confluence of deeply-felt musical essays and explorations, delivered with zen-like mastery, without bombast or ego, always serving the music. Stenson and his group just play. Yes, there are years of study and exposure to eons of music, notated or otherwise, that underpins a group of this stature, but this trio wear it very lightly; this is not geek-music and neither do they build monolithic monuments to their talent, they just make music you want to hear again. Need I say anymore? Well, just briefly; I reckon this might be Bobo's best trio record to date; there is a slow-burning depth to Indicum that may well accord it legendary status in years to come.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2012
Amazon requested this review weeks ago and the Xmas season has delayed my response. I would have given it 4 stars then but I can not keep it off the CD player since then, it has grown on me so much. Bill Evans "your Story' sets the mood an the ongoing story is beautiful gorgeous music. For want of better words ,it had me thinking Bach had been reincarnated. Ask for it in your Xmas stocking. 5 stars.
on 24 October 2012
In the early 1990s Bobo Stenson helped resuscitate the careers of Charles Lloyd and Tomasz Stanko and participated in the concluding release by Don Cherry (at least on ECM). Since 1997, bar two guest performances in 2002 and 2004 (the excellent "Change of Heart" by saxophonist Martin Speake and the intriguing if uneven "Parish" by Thomas Stronen) Stenson has limited himself to a release every 4 or so years by his trio in which Anders Jormin has been a constant on bass with Jon Christensen, the late Paul Motian and most recently Jon Falt on drums. This paucity of output and uniformity of instrumentation might suggest an absence of ideas and/or a happiness to play safe. Such suggestions are seriously wide of the mark because, as I said of 2008's Cantando, there are few groups who move from elegant tango to extended improvisation to restless energy and none I can think of who does so which such verve and ease.

Such words hold true. Three improvisations by the group and two compositions by Jormin and surrounded by an Bill Evans standard (the opening "Your Story", dedicated to Motian) to a Norwegian traditional to compositions by the great Danish composer Carl Nielsen and the contemporary Norwegian-born Ola Gjeilo.

While, after half a dozen listens, "Indicum" does not quite scale the heights of "Cantando", the highlights are many: the way the lush piano solo "Your Story" gives way to the spiky "Indikon", the first of three similarly-titled improvisations, the re-workings of the dissident German song writer Wolf Biermann's Ermutigung and, my favourite, Ariel Ramirez's "La Peregrinacion" (one of a number of interpretations of choral pieces on show).

Whether you have followed Stenson since the days of "Witchi-Tai-To" 40 years ago or are a newcomer, this is highly recommended.
on 28 July 2015
Individually I rate all three of these musicians very highly, and as a trio they are capable of fine music... "Cantando" was a real high point for me. But somehow I just can't summon up any enthusiasm for this offering.
I bought this shortly after its release, and from the positive reviews here I'm thinking I ought to give it even more time to sink in, but I've tried...and after a while I can no longer be bothered, and it starts to slide off my ears so that I find my attention wandering. It's just the same old thing, and to my ears it sounds very tired. I hate to say this, but I think this is Stenson's weakest offering for years, and it sounds to me as though they've got together in the studio, begun doodling around, and then quite simply can't think of anything to play. It's a wonder they didn't fall asleep during the recording...or perhaps they did.
I'm giving it 1 star because of the excellent sound quality, and another one in memory of past glories.

Sorry, Bobo fans, but that's the way I feel.
on 23 November 2012
Once again Bobo Stenson and his trio work their magic. Repeated listenings provide new insights and nuances.
Like Bill Evans Bobo understands the use of pauses and silences during the playing of the music. This gives the listener greater resonance and opens many doors in the listener's imagination.
To lovers of the modern jazz piano this is a must. Bobo never fails to come up with the goods.
on 2 February 2013
Bobo Stenson takes the piano trio on a tour of the dark heart of a Scando-Jazz. A sublime soulful delight.
on 25 October 2012
Bobo Stenson has been a stalwart of the Scandinavian jazz scene for decades now,His talent has illuminated many classic European Jazz releases,his style of playing is much more adventurous and influentiaal than the(in my opinion)vastly overated Kieth Jarret.
The cover ironically is very similar to Jarrets"Nude ants" double album.
I read another review of this album and it was very positive.
1 Your story(2.02)Some lovely melodic playing starts of the album,the tune is composed by Bill Evans.
2 Indikon(6.03) a drum beat introduces this Stenson/Jormin /Falt composition which features a lovely sounding piano
3 Indicum(3.10)The self composed title track
4 Ermutigung (5.08) i have no idea what the title means but it features superb playing by all three musicisns,it sounds s little like a well known cigar commercial.
5 Indigo(4.20)Andera Jormin leads this original trio composed tune.
6 December(4.55)this is an original penned by Anders Jormin,it is ballad of high quality.
7 La Peregrinacion(8.26) a highly evocative version of this Ariel Ramirez tune.
8 Event VI(3.11)composed by George Russell,whose legend runs high on ECM.
9 Ave Maria(7.48)a stunning version of the traditional tune.
10 Tit er jeg glad(8.42)the title means nothing to me but the playing is fantastic.
11 Sol(9.11) a more avant garde aproach works well wwith this tune.
12 Uhi Caritas(6.41)a plaintive and reflective tune finshes of this fine album,this is well worth investigating.

VALUE FOR MONEY.....££££££

on 2 December 2012
It's difficult to know where these guys are trying to go with this album. At times the compositions sound like everything we've ever heard before ie. there's no edge that makes for a new listening experience; at others they seem to wander aimlessly for their own sake producing prolonged periods of unsatisfyingly sober, ponderous, almost flat music far removed from the rich lyricism of 'Cantando' or the alternately melodic, exploratory feel of 'Serenity'. It's a shame that after such a long wait we're given something so diffuse and mundane... by Stenson's previous high standards that is.