4.0 out of 5 stars Surviving Baby Books
Published on 23 Aug 2012 by P. Lomax

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Not a bad book I suppose but nothing great either. The book covers a number of topics relevant to the mother of a new born but even so, its still worth reading for a dad. Problem for me is a lot of the "Advice" Mostly coming from women who have experienced the same thing.

A lot of it feels like one of those self help books rather than what presumably its...
Published 18 months ago by Gogol

4.0 out of 5 stars Surviving Baby Books, 23 Aug 2012
P. Lomax - See all my reviews
In the intro to this book Hollie Smith says that her 'advice is rarely definitive or prescriptive: there's a good reason for that, all babies are different, and so are all mums.' This book continues in this tone, it's friendly and includes loads of comments from other mums with very varied experiences, which is enormously reassuring. It covers all the key stages of life for the first year with a newborn (for them, sleeping, feeding, health and safety and for you, what's necessary to buy and how to remain happy and healthy)alongside lots of options for dealing with these. There are plenty of organisations and groups listed in the text to go to for extra help or shopping, and there's a 'useful contacts' section in the back that extends this. Although there are dozens of instruction guides for aspects of baby care- like weaning- these are often rather specific and sometimes unsympathetic. Having all this practical information in one place in a non-judgemental way really addresses your worries as a first time mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars supportive, not dictatorial, 10 Nov 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was happily surprised by this book, usually they tend to be somewhat condescending towards mothers and mothers-to-be, this book is definitely not.

It is split into 3 main parts:

1 - starting out
2 - your baby
3 - being mum

Each of these 3 areas is the subdivided:

- what to buy for your baby - looking at the essentials you will need pre birth and during birth
- the early weeks - looking at items you may want to consider

- basic babycare

- your body after birth
- emotional wellbeing
- love and sex
- going back to work

Each section gives you ideas for things that you might want to consider without being overly preachy, demanding or commandeering. Lets be honest there are far too many of these books which will tell you what to do and when to do it by, and then tell you that if you or your baby aren't at the "goal level" then there is something wrong with you or your baby. These books usually culminate in telling you that you are a bad mother. Please ignore them. This book avoids that.

There is no strict timetable for your child to be walking, talking, etc. Every child develops at its own rate, even identical twins, so don't panic if your child isn't speaking latin by 6 months old!

This is a book that is not just restricted to the new mum, but can also be used by the father of the child, aunts, uncles, godparents, etc, especially the sleeping, feeding sections, etc.

Our author, Hollie Smith, acknowledges all the way through the book that every woman's experience will be different, because every woman is different and so is every child - and that is so refreshing. I much prefer this approach to the one size-fits-all type help book.

I found that the best source of information for things like this is my family, but if you can't, or don't want to, ask them then I can recommend this book for your consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful for new mums, 26 Aug 2012
I read this book just before giving birth to my first child and was really suprised how much reassurance I got from it. While it gives you lots of practical information you would expect, it's also written in a very supportive and friendly tone that makes the prospect of becoming a mum, and looking after a baby, that bit less scary.

I am really glad I read this before I had my baby, and I have referred back to it since she has been born, dipping in for specific issues/worries. I would defiinitely reccommend this book to a friend who is going to become a mum for the first time as the infomration provided is well laid out, sensible and balanced. There's no judgement or harshness you can get from some books. It made me feel much more confident, and helped me deal with the inevitable ups and downs of motherhood very realistically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for first time Dads too...., 27 May 2013
A. Miles (Al Khor, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm shortly to be a first time Dad, and quickly gave upon books aimed at me, finding them patronising at best. (Publishers please note: not every man on the planet is exclusively interested in lager and football, and a fair few of us do know our way around at least a couple of everyday domestic appliances) But I digress: This is a very comprehensive, but never prescriptive, reference on what do expect and ways to cope with it, and as such is highly recommended. Very useful both for my wife and myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-time Mum: Surviving and enjoying your baby's first year, 13 Nov 2012
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have just finished reading this book and boy do I wish I had had this book eight months ago or even better whilst I was still pregnant. The book is jam packed with useful advice that we unfortunately have had to learn sometimes the hard way but more often than not by trial and error. A lot of the information in the book was now not really relevant to me as my son is eight months old but I did still manage to glean quite a few useful titbits and advice especially in regard to the going back to work section as that unfortunately will be my next step:(!

The book is split into three main sections as follows:
Part One: Starting Out
8. Your body after birth
9. Emotional well-being
10. Love and sex
11. Going back to work

The book is also suggestive and helpful rather than setting firm rules for everything which I thought made it a lot nicer to read and actually more helpful than the several I have read where they are "You must do this, you should be doing that". I personally believe that this book is more likely for your child's first six months rather than year as a lot of what you need to know and learn is probably done in the first six months, after this time you're a bit old hat at everything! I shall certainly be suggesting this book to a few of my friends when they are having their first children and the only negative I can really say about the book is that I didn't manage to read it earlier when I could have really used the advice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Point Of Reference & Guide, 16 May 2013
A. Sinclair (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a first time father I got this book for my wife. During pregnancy here bible was 'What To Expect When Your Expecting' so I figured that it would be great for her to have a point of reference during what people often refer to as "the difficult first year".
Straight away it is easy to see that this book will be worth its weight in gold; on our first few nights home with the little man we had more questions than answers and this book proved to be a great point of reference for my wife as we ventured through what will probably be our most testing time as first time parents. But the book goes well beyond the first night support, detailing what to expect at every stage, both in terms of the baby's development, and also the mother's reaction post-birth emotionally and physically.

It is also worth noting that this book offers ideal preparation for the weeks leading up to birth, telling you the basics that you need in the house, and generally preparing you for what is to come when you bring your baby home.

They say that the first few months of your baby's life are the most testing, and that it is hard to raise a child without the right support network, and this book has slotted in along side family, friends and healthcare professionals in offering ideal support through what can be a very emotional, stressful and demanding time.

If like us you are as excited as you are confused about raising a child, this book really does offer invaluable advice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Nov 2012
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a most useful and well thought out book, that would I suppose is important not only for first time Mums but also those Mothers going for their second child. There is lots of practical information, and the writing is done in modest and supportive tone. It does not preach at you but rather gives you a sense of understanding - it drives out those lingering uncertainties and gives the Mother to be the prospect of looking after her child that much less daunting.

This book gives confidence, but is also realistic in its outlook; there are no judgement calls, while the book initial deals with the baby the later part deals with the mother and such topics as postnatal depression, body image and overall the building up of confidence in the new mother. While bringing a child in to the world should be a joyful experience the reality is somewhat different with the mother undergoing a mixed bag of emotions both positive and negative, this book is designed to help but make no assumptions or judgements. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars good all round introduction to baby's first year, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: First-time Mum: Surviving and Enjoying your baby's first year (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book. Was easy to read and set out in digestible sections. Pity it is aimed at mums as a lot of it is useful for dad too but the title and content put my husband off reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 4 Jan 2014
Very helpful and informative, would recomend to other new mums. Easy to read-you can flick to specific sections to find out exactly what you need to know as your baby grows

5.0 out of 5 stars just what a mum to be needs, 29 Dec 2013
facts written in an approachable manner, and also so that one learns about the real needs rather therefore is unlikely to fall into the marketing hype of ' I need the latest designer pushchair as then I will have a designer baby". Fact, advise, help, honest, a real must own book.