5.0 out of 5 stars Never been closer to heaven
I've been trying to think of which Pet Shop Boys albums are better than this one. Maybe Behaviour; Very, possibly; Actually, Yes (and now I'm confused...). The point is, these guys make it so difficult to choose. But for almost any other pop band around today, you could easily say that Elysium would be their masterpiece.

A group that's been around as longs as...
Published 23 months ago by Nick Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best.
I've been a Johnny come lately to Pet Shop Boys. I really only started buying their albums from 'Release' which came out in 2002 and completely changed my mind about them. I'd just thought of them as a great pop singles band. Since then I've been a big fan of all their subsequent albums and many of the earlier ones. I'm not a fan of dance music but I am a huge devotee of...
Published 23 months ago by P. Wilkinson

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 20 Sep 2012
Dr. Andrew J. Kennedy (South Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
The Pet Shop Boys have unleashed another exceptional recording, which restores my faith in popular music. Well done Neil and Chris...

1.0 out of 5 stars What Have we done to deserve this ?, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
I have been a PSB fan for a long time and even though I was slightly disappointed by albums such as Bilingual and Fundamental (which was definitely not a return-to-form album but a pretentious one), and hated the single Before, I have always looked forward to the release of a Pet Shop Boys'album until this one landed in my letter box.

The mere fact of working with a R&B and rap producer didn't sound good to me and my fears were unfortunately justified. The production is extremely flat, the synthesizer sounds are awful whereas the band used so far carefully chosen sounds, but above all the melody are unbelievably weak! How can you deliver a remarkable album like Yes and release 3 years later such a bland selection of songs when in between their second B-sides collection Format was released proving once again how fantastic their songs can be!

On top of that, I can not understand why music magazines such as Q and Mojo came up with rave reviews for Elysium when previous quality albums which have since become undeniable worldwide classics were slated in those days by the same magazines!? Get yourself fresh ears guys!

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe have in their personnal vaults a great quantity of fabulous songs they have composed over the years, so why insisting about writing new mediocre ones. The limited edition bonus CD with instrumental versions has no interest whatsoever and sadly underscore how tasteless the songs are.

We could wish for the next album that they stop writing songs just like you go to the office, which seems to be the new formula they have adopted these days in their private secluded London recording studio whereby when they walk in the building they write a song. Maybe it's time to write less but better and let inspiration soak in, you can not be a genius on a daily basis.

It is high time they work again with talented producers like Stephen Hague, Julian Mendelson and Xenomenia with whom they have delivered their best work to date.

2.0 out of 5 stars Honestly!!!, 23 Sep 2012
W. Beckett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
Unfortunately, this is probably the worst of all the Pet Shop Boy's albums. And I say this an old codger who was there as a fan from the very first. In a nutshell - forget any catchy driving techno or disco beats that Chris and Neil have greatly hit us with in the past. And just replace it with some mundane melancholic dirge of anthem themes instead. No big studio production values to tap your toes too here. Only a wishy-washy lifeless stream of consciousness
In some ways it's almost as if the boys didn't care. Chris Lowe just coming up to Neil Tennant one day with a few knocked out Casio tunes for him to add a few of his own 'being boring' lyrics and voice too. Humm--?
Of course if they just wanted to get out of some contractual obligations, perhaps you could understand it? But when a purely intrumental CD ends up as more playable than the main vocal one, than the Pet Shop Boys need to seriously re-consider their musical positions???

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - once more, 14 Sep 2012
Garmonbozia (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elysium (MP3 Download)
After the return to wonderful pop songs with Xenomania in the form of Yes this is a real downer of an album and i think the title should have been Requiem as it feels like the final curtain for the boys. First track Leaving is a slightly better version of Before. Invisible should be just that - painfully dull. Winner isn't that bad a song and the middle 8th is a good one. Your Early Stuff is musically throw away but lyrically typical Tennant. I really like A Face Like That and reminds me of a Noel Gallagher tune. Tracks 6-8 are just not memorable either lyrically or musically. Give it a go is probably my favourite song on the album and love the motown referencing and a great Tennant love song lyric - should be a single but won't be. Memory of the future has a melancholy melody and similar lyrics. Everything means something is the most interesting musically song on the album and a definite highlight. The closer Requiem in Denim and leopardskin seems rather upbeat from the rest of the album and the lyrics name check Bryan Ferry; Adam Ant and Malcolm Mclaren. Overall disappointing and no Johnny Marr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good album, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
Once again they have made another good album they do seem to be able to write some good songs and make them easy to listen to

1.0 out of 5 stars As bad as Disco2., 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
Dear God- this is as dreary as a funeral parlour. Considering 'Fundamental' and 'Yes' were solid efforts- makes 'Elysium' all the more disappointing. 'Ego Music', 'Give It A Go' & 'Hold On' sound like very bad PSB pastiches. Les Dawson playing the piano had more listening appeal than this load of cack. They can do so much better than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars What ever happened to the pet shop boys?, 12 Sep 2012
Flettsy "SEORAS" (buckie, moray United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
I must be in the minority here, simply put its the worst PSB album ive ever heard, the songs need a mobility scooter to get around! and wouldnt have graced an album of B sides a few years ago. I havent bothered to listen to the 'bonus' disc of instrumentals. Get a grip PSB nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
This is a great album from Pet Shop Boys. If you love there music and lyric of there songs you will not be disappointed with this one

1.0 out of 5 stars did nothing for me, 13 Sep 2012
R. Day (Expat in Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
What can I say...totally disappointed because I expected so much. Really did nothing for me. Perhaps it's because they've moved on and I'm still in the 90's??

1.0 out of 5 stars EPIC FAIL!, 15 Sep 2012
R.K.P (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elysium (Audio CD)
Elysium is the worst Pet Shop Boys album ever. I can't find a single positive thing to say about it. At times it was even beyond recognition as being by the Pet Shop Boys.

I've listened to it once and I forced myself to listen to it until the end. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›