5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice piece of kit from Microsoft
Published on 26 Oct. 2012 by Akroama

I received this free via the Amazon Vine programme.

Published 23 months ago by Seren Ade

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice piece of kit from Microsoft, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
I love this little keyboard. It is well made and small enough to be taken anywhere, but not so small that it is hard to type at decent speeds. It is a little heavier than I would like however it feels sturdy and certainly stays put when typing. The cover for the keyboard is very functional and morphs into a nice stand for the tablet. The assembly feels nice (both from a tactile response point of view when typing) and from an overall design standpoint.

I use it with a Samsung Windows 8 tablet to turn it into from a very portable hand held device into a very usable desktop station for work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than a virtual keyboard, just not with Windows Phone, 12 Aug. 2013
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure what's happening with Microsoft. There was a time when its home-grown designs were considered to be functional but inelegant, something you'd happily use at work but wouldn't dare spend your own hard-earned cash on. That isn't a criticism that can be levelled at many of its products today, and although some do still reek of 80's nostalgia (ahem, Xbox One), Microsoft does, on occasion, seek to push the boundaries slightly when it comes to design.

The mobile keyboard is part of Microsoft's 'Wedge' range, which also includes a similar-looking mouse. It comes in a nice, tough cardboard box with a flip-opening lid that also houses the keyboard's hard rubber cover and some manuals. Once out of its box, you can see that some thought has gone into it, with a very thin profile and a chrome band extending right around the edge to help break up the black of the keys and the back-plate. It's also very solid, with not even the keys rattling as I might have expected them to. In fact, the only unwanted protrusion is the battery pack / stand on the back, which sticks out awkwardly but does at least serve to prop up the keyboard at a better angle. It doesn't bend in the middle, as you might think from some of the photos, so it isn't quite as portable as some mobile keyboards, but you'd have no problem stashing it in a rucksack or handbag with little problem.

The keyboard isn't rechargeable, instead relying on two AAA batteries for its power; it also doesn't have any USB ports, so if you run out of batteries while you're on the move then you're pretty much sunk. Nicely, though, the included cover switches the keyboard off when the two are in contact. The cover also bends in the middle, to double up as a stand for your mobile device, as long as you have somewhere flat to stand it up on. What the cover doesn't do, is to provide any protection for the lovely metal back of the keyboard, and a few scratches were evident on mine pretty soon after I got it.

Setting up the keyboard with both my iPad and my Windows 7 PC was a doddle, literally just a case of switching the devices on and holding down the 'sync' button on the side of the keyboard's battery pack. Getting the keyboard to work with my Windows Phone 8 mobile, on the other hand, was a painful process and despite numerous attempts I never got the two to work properly together, with the connection continually dropping out a few seconds after the devices had connected. Given the ease with which the keyboard found my other gadgets I'm hoping that this is a quirk with WP8 and not the keyboard itself, but it's certainly an oddity given that they share the same heritage. Perhaps tellingly, the MS website lists W7, W8, WRT, iOS 4, iOS 5, Android 3.2 and Android 4.0.4 as compatible operating systems, but no mention of Windows Phone.

In use, the keyboard is actually much better than I was expecting given its diminutive size. It's true that it's not overly comfortable to use for a long period of time (especially if it's balanced on your lap) but it is low to the ground so your wrists aren't held off the deck, which does help ease wrist strain. The keys are firm yet responsive, although very much on the small size, as you'd expect; then again, the keys do extend right up to the edge of the keyboard housing so you couldn't possibly get any bigger keys into such a small space. The keyboard is also clearly primarily oriented towards Windows 8, with dedicated W8 Charms and Start button keys dotted about; their inclusion won't have any effect on your use of the thing if you don't have a W8 device, but you'll get more out of it if you do.

The Wedge is certainly one of the best mobile keyboards I've tried, both in terms of its size in relation to its portability and in terms of how it feels to use. I'm not convinced that the trade-off of having to pack it with you is worth it, but that's my opinion on mobile keyboards generally as I have no problem with using the iPad and W8 virtual keyboards. That said, it is better for typing essays on than any virtual keyboard, as long as you don't want to use it with Windows Phone, that is.

5.0 out of 5 stars it is very good and doesn't flex at all, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
Dimensions of this keyboard are 25.5 cms wide, 10cms deep and is 2 cms thick where the battery bulge/wedge is (otherwise the keyboard would be just 8mm thick. It is a strong aluminium construction that is reasonably heavy, about 260 grams with a further 200 grams for the rubber folding case.
This means that as a typing platform, it is very good and doesn't flex at all. The keys are tightly fitted into the allocated space and are about the same size as the keys on many full-size keyboards and I find it relatively easy to type fast despite the diminutive size of the keyboard itself. There is a good tactile response that I would be happy to see on a lot of laptops, and it is a far superior keyboard to the onscreen keyboard of any tablet.
I use it as a companion to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and it works very well, providing a keyboard that can be physically separated by some distance unlike the Surface keyboard/cover which has to be attached to the screen. The Bluetooth connection appears stable and I have not experienced any drop-outs.
if I wanted to say anything negative then I would say that the rubber cover is a bit excessive for my needs, however you might find it useful if you need to use it as a stand for your tablet. (The Surface has a built-in stand.) Having said that, I have used the cover as a stand for my ipad and it is secure and unobtrusive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality, decent size, connection keeps cutting out, 20 July 2013
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this free via the Amazon Vine programme.

The build quality of the device is excellent. The keyboard is large enough to be readily useable and is certainly a UK configuration. For the most part, the keys are full-sized. The function buttons are smaller than usual, as are some of the keys along the edges... most notably the Escape/power button, delete, Control, and the right arrow. These 4 keys are positioned at the corners of the board, and the button shape has been altered to fit the curved design of the board, reducing the size of these keys significantly.

The keyboard itself is light. It's slightly longer than my iPad (about 12mm according to my measure), but is comparable in build quality. The keys are nice and neat, the board mount is brushed metal, the raised wedge section is plastic and houses the battery power supply. The board runs on 2 AAA batteries, and a pair of Duracell ones are included.

The cover, I'm not so sure about. It's a nice idea... but provides protection for the front of the keyboard only. The stand feature is undoubtedly great, if you don't already have a stand, but many a tablet case doubles up, making this perhaps a bit redundant. However, for me, where this really comes a cropper is in terms of added weight. Well built thought the rubberised case undoubtedly is, it's also a good bit heavier than the keyboard itself - despite not providing all-over protection.

Setting up Bluetooth connections is very straightforward, however using them with this board seems to be less so. If the board is inactive for a few seconds, the Bluetooth connection cuts out... then takes several seconds to re-engage. What's been irking me today, though, has been that the Bluetooth keeps cutting out for no apparent reason in the midst of typing. So far, I've experienced 4 such dropped connections while writing this review. Have tried with other devices, and experienced the same problem - finding myself with random sentence fragments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waited 3 years to BUY this, now regret the wasted time!, 30 May 2015
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
After being a MicroSoft Wedge mouse user for the past 3 years, I decided to take the plunge and buy the accompanying Wedge Keyboard .
I had always "wanted" one, but the heady prices of £60-80 really put me off, after all it's only just a keyboard.

But after several "cheaper" keyboards that I brought so I could use a keyboard with my Tablet/ phone where NONE of them worked satisfactory... I wished I had brought a Wedge 3 years ago now! What it has cost me in "trying-out" other keyboards and wasting money would have been well spent.

So - Just Picked one up, sorry not from this SELLER, but a main High Street Computer store, who was selling off the Wedge @ £29.99.
GREAT!!!

But this didn't turn out so great after all, WHY? Because the Keyboard had a serious Keyboard issue, which I need to Phone Microsoft Customer services up about as its a "know" fault with the keyboard.

Really Pleased to say - MICROSOFT was brilliant, they have forwarded me a Brand NEW replacement keyboard, so my deep disappointment, has been made up by MICROSOFT'S Customer Services.

Using the WEDGE::
+ First use rechargeable AAA Batteries
+ it pairs with all my devices FIRST time!
- Takes a bit of getting used to with the smaller keyboard layout.

PROS::
+ Excellent BUILD quality
+ Great DESIGN
+ Pairs first time

CONS::
- HIGH original Retail pricing of this unit
- a Microsoft product, never liked microsoft's software as it always crashes, so are they any good at making hardware?
- Needs a more clearer LED Light to say it its on or off

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent keyboard - shame it has no recharge circuit, 14 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
This is the 3rd keyboard I tried with my android tablet - the first two were cheaper ones that got sent back for being awful, so third try I went for something a bit more expensive and that I could try out in a shop first to see what it's like for typing on.

I'm used to typing on a netbook so don't notice if the keyboard is condensed, I have small hands so usually prefer a slightly condensed keyboard. It's nice to type on, keys press nicely, feels like a laptop keyboard, it's solid and doesn't flex while typing on your lap (a problem with the cheaper ones I tried). Mostly it is just as responsive as a wired keyboard, but occasionally it'll take a second or two to catch up.

My only complaint is the lack of a recharge circuit, standard duracels (that came with it) only lasted a few days so getting rechargeables is a must or you'd be spending a fortune, it'd just be easier to plug in a wire than swap batteries.

Once batteries get low it starts randomly disconnecting while you're typing, which probably wouldn't be noticeable if it didn't make my tablet switch keyboards to the default one. It disconnects significantly less than the cheap ones I tried which were constantly losing the connection mid typing no matter how charged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous keyboard, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
Especially at the current price of under £50. I use it with Win 8 pc - works fine - keyboard in "English" layout. When connected to my Samsung Note 10.1 though the £ # etc keys were in US layout. It is impossible to change this within the settings on the tablet HOWEVER if you download an app such as External Keyboard Helper Demo / Pro it sorts all this out automatically for you.
Makes using Win 8 far more pleasurable - I finally "get" it now I have keys to shortcut my way to search, charms, settings etc. There is even a key for the context sensitive menu options.

Keyboard initially took some getting used to as the keys are compact. However, now I find my normal sized wireless keyboard "clanky" in comparison. Much prefer this little keyboard, but if you have large hands then maybe this isn't for you.

Cover is surprisingly useful as a tablet stand - very sturdy. So good that I would have bought the cover as a stand on its own. Yes bits stick to it but it's no big deal to me anyway. I'm so impressed with this I'm tempted to buy the wedge mouse as well. It's not a lightweight keyboard, it doesn't fold in two, but it seems to be reliable, build quality appears good and it's very sturdy. Plus it looks cool. What more could you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect match with a Windows 8 tablet, 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
After searching for many, many hours for a wireless keyboard, I settled on this one and it has not disappointed.

There's not too much to say about keyboards. The layout is the UK layout and slightly smaller full-size, but that's perfect for occasional use, especially with a tablet where size will matter. It's a good balance between portability and usability.

The attention to detail is great, down to the battery area providing a nice natural tilt, and the polished metal area on the border. I've yet to have a dropped connection and on an online test I managed 60 WPM with 97% accuracy, which is good enough for me!

The stand accessory is great for pretty much all tablets but it does add a fair bit of weight to the package. All in all, it's a great, well-made product. It also works with my HTC One, which is a bonus.

P.S. This was written on the Wedge keyboard on a Windows 8 tablet. Who'd have thought?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great., 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
Battery life is pretty good, roughly 4-5 months between changes. Does not work that well with rechargeable batteries (which it fairly states not to use) as it will cause keystroke delays around 40-50%.
Keys wear quickly but the letters do not. I have the typical "shiny" areas on the keys found on cheaper OEM keyboards which isn't great. Typing is surprisingly comfortable if you're preference is laptop hinge type keyboards.
Keyboard stand is good for any 9-11" tablet and is non-slip. Due to the non-slip material, it does unfortunately out perform a Dyson for dust collection.
Keyboard will only single pair to one Bluetooth device at a time. Keyboard supports the Windows 8 / 8.1 keyboard specifications for hot-keys only so you are required to press FN to access F1 to F12 function keys (regardless of UEFI configuration for this setting).

4.0 out of 5 stars nice keyboard - shame it can only pair with 1 device, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
The keyboard is very attractive, with a metal costruction. The cover is quite nice, folding and acting as a stand. However, it can be fiddly to put on the keyboard, and I am not convinced how long it will last before becoming loose if I keep folding it and unfolding it to use as a stand.

It is a pain that i have to repair it each time i switch from using it with my my phone to using it with my ipad - I really wish it could maintain the pairing with both. If it had this feature I would give it 5 starss. I know that one keyboard has this feature but it didnt look nearly as slim as this one and was a little more expensive.

Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard - UK Layout