5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photo and movie editing package.
Published on 22 Sept. 2012 by Andy_atGC

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag
I'm running these programs on a relatively old PC running Windows 7,
so I had no real expectations of getting startling results.

I'm comparing these programs to image editors Lightroom and Picasa and
video editor Sony Vegas, which are my preferred options.

I was pleasantly surprised by the video editor. It handled the HD
output from my...
Published on 5 Dec. 2012 by Peri Urban

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photo and movie editing package., 22 Sept. 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This package includes the full versions of Corel's PaintShop Pro X5 and VideoStudio X5 at a saving of approximately 25% on the normal combined RRP and each is on a single disk, a CD for Paintshop Pro X5 and a DVD for VideoStudio X5. The respective serial numbers are on a label on the reverse of the sleeves. Other than a thankyou note for purchasing PaintShop Pro (why not also VideoShop?), there is nothing else in the box.

This package, in relation to PaintShop alone, might better suit those who may currently have one or more Photoshop plugins, especially Nik's ColorEfex version 3 which is a slightly older than current version of the excellent plug-in package included as part of the higher priced Ultimate Edition along with the relatively little-known FaceFactory 2 package (a stand-alone program that can turn the faces of friends or family into caricatures or be used to correct problems in facial proportions). There is also a corresponding Ultimate version of VideoStudio X5 which has a claimed $500 worth of extras to add features to your movies. None of those various extras are offered in this instance. However, once installed and registered, you will be offered a free download of KPT Collection, a set of Photoshop-compatible plugins for use with PaintShop. You may also find that SP1 (or later) is also available for download as is its manual in PDF format as it is absent from the disk.

The original PaintShop Pro was for many years a very successful shareware package but was bought by Corel from its original developers some years ago. The original concept by Corel may have been to improve its existing Painter package, which it had sold for some years, by incorporating portions of the former shareware's code but the two sold in mutual competiton for some time. Painter has apparently been discontinued as PaintShop became the more dominant and, more recently, received a minor name change to the X-series. In any event, it was PaintShop which was said to be the closest and most popular competitor to Photoshop, and the program is now much expanded.

The immediately prior X4 version was a fine product and very capable. This version has added expanded capability to several of its tools and it also has some features that Photoshop lacks, not least of which is its ability to open RAW files of many different formats. It will also open Adobe's DNG format which Photoshop itself cannot, which was intended as a universal alternative to the multifarious RAW formats chosen by the different manufacturers although a few of them chose it as their RAW format of choice. There are very few programs which will open DNG and not many more that will allow full treatment of RAW files and allow them to be subjected to whatever changes you may want to make, although some offer a few minor modifications such as red eye removal and brightness/contrast changes. PaintShop X5 also offers several unique tools and a wide range of one-touch effects for landscapes, portraits, black and white using various filters and HDR amongst many more. Some are approximately repeated within Color Efex included within the Ultimate Edition.

The program's interface is rather different than Photoshop's and may take a little time for a new user to familarise but it isn't a bad one. It is a little more modern than Photoshop's which has tended to very closely follow all its past versions. Corel revised the older Paintshop Pro interface and moulded it into its current form. The menu structure is very different than Photoshop's in that there are only three main level items but everything is there but not necessarily in the same relative location or with the same name as Photoshop.

Photoshop cannot itself open RAW files. You would normally need Lightroom to do that and then, once you have performed whatever workflow routines you wish, instruct the program to open the amended file within Photoshop. Paintshop X5 offers a one-package solution. As with Lightroom and the other RAW image workflow packages, any changes you make to the appeareance of the RAW file are non-destructive; the RAW file itself is never changed. The changes are made to a virtual copy which can then be saved as a JPG, TIFF or a few other formats. Consequently, if you don't like the changes or you want a different effect at a later date, you can return to the original RAW file, make whatever changes you now want and then save that version. You can do this as many times as you wish without necessarily over-writing a previous version, unless that is your intention.

In the sense that Photoshop costs more than 10 times the RRP of this portion of the package and that it has tools that very few will ever get to use, there is an increasing possibility that PaintShop X5 will better suit their needs and their pockets. There may be a small learning curve as there are some things that are done differently, and many more that are identical to Photoshop. There are also revised licensing issues with all of Adobe's products which may cause a percentage of existing non-corporate users to look for a replacement. You need look no further!

VideoStudio X5 is a multi-function tool for users of video files whether they derive from a video camera or from a dSLR, compact or any a mirrorless camera with video capability, which in effect means most of the mid-range models of recent age from just about any manufacturer. As with PaintShop, it supports several different formats and you can mix and match should you need. You can join clips of different formats and save the whole in some other format. It can also convert files from one format to another. Installation is a two-step procedure, first for the program and then for the extras. Upon full installation and registration, you will be able to download a variety of tutorials plus several extras.

VideoStudio allows full editing of video and audio, joining of files, adding sound effects, voiceovers etc and as a stand-alone package sells at the same price as PaintShop X5. It will perform just about any task that the more expensive video editing packages will perform and it can therefore be directly compared with Adobe Premiere, although at a considerably lower price. During installation, you will be asked to select a location which presumably dictates video and other standards. Again, there isn't a PDF file on disk and that will need to be downloaded directly from Corel's product page but any available updates can be downloaded via the program's Help section once it installed and registered. There is one at the time of writing this review for SP1 which raised it to v15.1 from 15.0. You will also be offered the download of TitlerEX, an add-on package at no extra charge. There are also many templates that can be downloaded for free, in addition to those initially provided on installation.

Whether you work primarily with still images and only occasionally with movies, or it is mostly movies and photos less often, this is a package that will help you achieve just about anything you are likely to need at a relatively modest price. The Adobe alternative costs over 10 times more! Although you can also buy several differing combinations of Adobe products in suites with Photoshop common throughout, you may be buying products you will never need or use. Here, you have the two without any unnecessary extras.

A very worthwhile and well-priced package and one that is recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 5 Dec. 2012
Peri Urban "periurban" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm running these programs on a relatively old PC running Windows 7,
so I had no real expectations of getting startling results.

I'm comparing these programs to image editors Lightroom and Picasa and
video editor Sony Vegas, which are my preferred options.

I was pleasantly surprised by the video editor. It handled the HD
output from my Canon 650D with ease and seemed quite stable. The video
preview window didn't stutter on playback, and I was able to achieve a
basic edit very quickly. Adding effects did slow things down
considerably, but given the age of the processor on my PC it's hardly
surprising.

On the other hand the photo editor was a mess. Slow and clunky. I have
a couple of hundred gigabytes of pictures, and it may have been this that
was slowing things down. But I found the most basic tasks made my PC
crawl.

Again, it's probably not fair to throw such processor intensive
software at an ageing Athlon, but I think it's worth noting if you are
in a similar situation.

I'll definitely be using the video editor again, but for pictures I'll
stick to Picasa and Lightroom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget alternatives to Adobe, 6 Oct. 2012
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This package includes the latest versions of Corel's photo and video editing software, namely version X5 of PaintShop Pro and VideoStudio Pro.

PaintShop was once a shareware package that was acquired by Corel. It started out as a bitmap painting package, but as the years have progressed, it has grown into more of an Adobe Photoshop competitor - I tend to prefer it for creating images from scratch, while Photoshop is more appropriate for editing images taken with a digital camera. That said, nowadays there isn't much Photoshop can do that PaintShop can't do as well, and PaintShop is usefully (a lot) cheaper.

If you already have PaintShop X4, X5 adds a few features - some more filters and effects, and support for location tagging and social media. There's no compelling reason to upgrade if you have X4, but if you are looking to buy a decent bitmap editor, X5 is well worth considering.

VideoStudio started out as a product from Ulead, who were then acquired by Corel. It's a decent video editor - it runs quickly, it's easy to use, and has a decent set of effects. It opened every file I threw at it, and produced good quality output. Nowadays it allegedly supports HD and BluRay burning, but without a BD burner, I wasn't able to test this - it certainly works well on SD content. It's not immediately obvious what has changed since the X4 version - the box mentions things like "enhanced DVD authoring" and "faster performance", but I couldn't spot any significant differences, so I'd say it's not worth upgrading if you already have X4.

As a one-stop solution for photo and video editing, this package is good value. My only real quibble is that last year's versions of these products included decent printed manuals - this set only has online help. If you can cope with that, and you don't want to pay the premium for Adobe products, these will do everything most users want in terms of media editing. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value combo package., 16 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was excited to try this product as i'd always been a fan of PSP and I needed a higher quality video editing suite so it made sense to make the saving and have 2 in 1.

It was easy to install with no gripes - very simple. The first program i wanted to try was PSP and was very eager to see how more upgraded it was. I have to say though I actually prefer older versions - It takes a long time to load initially on my computer - just wanting to quickly edit a photo becomes a laborious task - once it is loaded up I find the interface more confusing than the older versions - I've actually resorted back to using my old 'Paint' which is free on windows systems to edit certin aspects and I am relatively computer savvy in editing - I've always created some pretty advanced effects but after restarting what should have been a simple task I gave up - it isn't clear where certain tools are without trawling through menus - the interface isn't as fool proof as other versions and adding text to an image became a nightmare as it wouldn't adjust and i had to keep restarting... I'm hoping with practise it will improve but due to it hindering my computers performance and being much more complex than it needs to be I'm not enjoying it as much as other programs I've tried.

The video editor however is perfect for the job and easy for complete beginners to create quality movies, it has a great interface and makes it quick to do exactly what you need and be as complex or as simple as you need it to be - something for everyone.

I do recommend the bundle but there are better photo programs out there in my opinion - the video suite is definitely the best part of this package.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Corel Photo & Video Suite X5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This review is mainly for the Videostudio software. The brief few minutes I have used the Photo studio have been fine.
I bought this after seeing the good reviews on amazon and really should have researched further. Even after installing the latest updates, Videostudio would not take .Mp4 files saying there was a file error. I tried looking for a fix to this but none of them worked for me. This meant I had to convert the files and seeing as the only converter I could find that worked didn't give me many options, I had to convert to .wmv. When playing back on VLC media Player, the newly converted files played perfectly. Play back on Videostudio had the sound cutting every three minutes for a couple of seconds. I thought this might just be during playback and won't translate to the finally rendered file, however it has. I tried looking for a fix for this but it turns out no one seems to have had this problem.
Finally I decided to go back to recording in the .ts format seeing as my previous .ts videos seemed to be running fine. That appears to have been only for a short while however seeing as today Videostudio keeps crashing when I try to use playback. Corel's site said to roll back the software. This did not help. Their second piece of advice was to uninstall and re install the software. I am about to do this although I am very much tempted to uninstall this for good and send it back whilst I still have a chance.I was hoping this would be an end to my video software troubles but I have been disappointed.

Edit: Still having the same issues after my re-install, using compatibility mode is not working ether so I have decided to return it. If you have Windows 8 I suggest you look for a different software package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Corel Video X5, 3 May 2013
L. Rose (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corel Photo & Video Suite X5 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have been looking to move away from printing photo's in albums to showing them through slideshows and videos. Purchased this dual package mainly for the video program. Coupled with 'Picture Yourself Making Creative Movies' I am finding the software easy to use and am confident I will be able to achieve my goals, albeit I am at a relatively early stage in my learning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same Corel problems as usual, 27 April 2013
Steampunk "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using various versions of this software all the way back to PaintShop Pro version 7 (and THAT was a long time ago!)

First of all, let me deal with something that's a small matter in the overall scheme of things, for me it's a major annoyance, and some web searching has shown that it's not a problem peculiar to me.

For some bizarre reason known only to the geniuses at Coral, in order to use their software's 'help' system, they force you to sign up to an account with them. This is annoying in itself, but it gets worse. For lots of us, this 'sign up' doesn't work. Oh, it gets you an account, OK. But every single time you run the software, the same 'account required' message pops up. Even though you have the account, it doesn't offer any way to sign in to it. So you can't access the help system at all. Utterly daft, and something that has extended over multiple versions and updates - you would think they might have fixed it by now.

That said, X5 does the job. I use the Video software on a regular basis. As for the Photo software... well, it's fine, but I sometimes find myself yearning for the clear and easy interface that I remember from PSP 7, and more and more I find myself firing up the GIMP software, (which also has a non-intuitive interface, but is completely free.)

So... In my opinion this software is OK, but just OK. And that 'account required' thing really, REALLY bugs me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and reassembly intuitive, 19 Nov. 2012
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I installed this software on my desk top which is running OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit without any problems. The Photo Pro has a very pleasant interface. There are quick fix type functions under "Enhance options" that you can use to do simple adjustments for brightness, contract normalization and red eye fixing without too much fuss. What the Photo Pro application gives is a multitude of tasks and layers of capability. The advanced features have a rather steep learning curve which I still trying to get to grips with. (Thankfully there are good Corel related videos on YouTube)
Some of points I like:

1. Available tutorials are short and to the point.

2. Adding your own videos, photos and music is `pain free'.

However, be prepared to spend time with each video project, my initial 45 minute video took 5 hours to process and then put/burn on DVD. That said any subsequent copies(without changes!) should less than a half hour.
For the price, you do get a lot of photo editing functions that are probably sufficient for most people?

4.0 out of 5 stars A box of two halves, 16 Oct. 2012
P. Bradshaw "paulbrad" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a box of two halves...

Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 - 3*
Corel PaintShop Pro X5 - 5*

I have previously reviewed VideoStudio X5 and awarded it 3*Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) and my opinion of this largely remains the same. If you can get the two products above in the same package at a good price - then it is certainly worthy of your consideration.

PaintShop Pro X5 is a different matter - this is an excellent digital imaging programme when you need to do relatively complex things in a straightforward way. Normally for most of my photographic needs, I make do with Google's excellent free image processor, Picasa. Picasa is really easy to use and for 90% of my needs it never lets me down. However, for those more complex tasks I have never found the right programme - I have dabbled with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements but I didn't like the work flow in either product, ditto Apple's Aperture and iPhoto and have also endeavoured to learn Serif's accomplished, and wallet friendly, PhotoPlus x4 PhotoPlus X4 (PC) which I definitely rate as a 4*.

Finally, with PaintShop Pro X5 and its straightforward, Manage, Adjust and Edit work spaces I think I have found the answer to my prayers. There are lots of features - some I will probably never use but in the three weeks or so that I have had the programme I am confident that it will eventually supplant Picasa as my default photo-editor.

3.0 out of 5 stars An attempt at matching Photoshop Elements & Premiere, 13 Oct. 2012
CjW "chris" (England) - See all my reviews
VideoStudio

This is a bought in product (Ulead I remember) to combine with PaintShop Pro X5 (PSP) and offer competition to Adobe Photoshop Elements and Première Elements

The video component is separate from the PSP as you'd expect coming from different publishing houese, so the feel is different.
The video component seems robust and is quite capable in it;s intentions.
There are a few effects; but you have to pay a lot of cash to download more. However I don't like effects on videos, the only only one I like are the cross fades and various filters to fix errors.

These filters seem to work okay - I used a quite and tatty download to play with (as mine are perfect of course - wink)
and found that the program crashes after a few tests, quite like PSP in fact and unlike Sony Vegas - my preferred program.

Who is it all for?
Well the PSP element is for some serious editing and takes some experience to use correctly, but the Video studio is rather at the lesser end, ie more beginner - so they don't match the buyer profile.

There is NO MANUAL, you have to download it and read at the keyboard, which is a right pain as I like to read a paper manual at my leisure or pop in and out of it.
CHEAPSKATES

In fact the box contains mostly air with glossy eye catching pics on the front, wasted if you have to buy it over the internet - These programs never appear on shop shelves any more, maybe a manual would be a better cost initiative for the buyer then.
Hello Corel?
Listening?

Help - well as explained before and in other reviews, there is virtually none. One help ticket is allowed and when I used mine for a previous version - it took 3 months for a bad English Sth African to reply and that was idiot talk.
By then the program had been terminated as it refused to run on the new Win 7.
With that in mind - watch out if you intend buying Win 8 - as its not out at time of writing - it may not be actual capable.
That cost me £60 last time and it never ran. Adobe Photoshop Elements did however and so did Sony Vegas Movie Editor, which is far superior and much easier to master.

You pays your money and hopes - it's just like gambling really isn't it?

Paint Shop Pro X5 (or 15)

I have used PSP since v2 from JASC
However once Corel bought it, the program would no longer stay running - a real crash queen.
I bought X1 which sorta worked ok and then X2 which refused to run anymore than 10 minutes on Win 7 Super powerful PC.
Support was and still is non-existent - one support ticket is all you get and I used that and got a reply 3 months later full of bad English jibberage that basically said "We don't know." That cost me £55 - so I used Photoshop Elements (and Photoshop CS4) instead, which to date have never crashed, not once. EVER.

But - I like PSP and prefer menus and Icons on the toolbar, which Elements does not have annoyingly. I also like to customise these icons to put my favs up there.

So PSP X5 is out and I installed it without tears. HUZZAH.

What do you get?
- A rather flashy but empty box with 2 CD-ROMs within.

That's it!

Installing X5 meant I had to immediately download another service pack 1 (100mb) and install it before I could even look at the interface.
This is Win 8 compatible (allegedly) and only a month off the design desk, so a 100mb service pack already is really scary!

The extras on the box?

Well don't get excited as you have to download them yourself from the net, one at a time taking seconds to download and 5 minutes to install.

COREL - Yes you boys - What exactly is the problem with:

a) A combined extras pack, downloadable in one go with one installation routine?
b) Actually including them on the CD-ROM or use a DVD instead as everyone has them on ALL modern computers since 2002.

So what's it like in use - well it has three screens, one an organiser (not very good one either) and two editing screens, [WHY?] - but you can't switch between the modes without saving the image first - which means every time you save a jpg file, it suffers definition loss due to repeated compression.

Duh!

This is a rather absurd and entirely unnecessary obstruction - what were they thinking?
Copying Photoshop elements beginner /advanced interface maybe?
Only that doesn't require the file to be saved multiple times when changing modes - so that's not it and PSP has got beginner / advanced interfaces already.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Corel Photo & Video Suite X5 (PC)
Corel Photo & Video Suite X5 (PC) by Corel (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)