4.0 out of 5 stars A good update on X4 but room for improvement !
Corel PaintShop Prox X5 Ultimate

I am an IT lecturer and also run a web design business. In my work I have to do a lot of photography so get to use all the hardware and software that is out there. I have used Corel X4 for the past 9 months and was very pleased with it.

This software has been reviewed on a PC with the following spec...
Published on 24 Sept. 2012 by RJP the Book Boy

2.0 out of 5 stars The more I use PaintShop Pro, the more I love the GIMP.
I've had every version of PaintShop Pro ever since I got Version 6 for free on a magazine cover disk, MANY years ago. I loved it, and instantly upgraded to PSP 7.

The odd thing is, PSP7 has been one of the first things I've installed on every PC ever since. The later versions of Paintshop Pro... not so much.

Yes, of course, each new incarnation...
Published on 4 Dec. 2012 by Steampunk

5.0 out of 5 stars My Revisit To Corel, 30 Sept. 2012
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never been a massive fan of Paint Shop Pro always choosing to use Adobe instead. It's been a number of years since I've even thought about the software, so I decided it was time to revisit Corel's "PaintShop Prox X5 Ultimate."

On offer is a suite of powerful photo editing tools designed and developed to help the user create incredible post production results. If you're looking for easy RAW processing, want an array of design tools to create web graphics, or want to create HDR photos without standalone photo merging software then you're looking at the right software. It's definitely a modern suite with the ability to share your photos and other productions via social networking sites.

I personally liked the Instant Effects palette which lets you change photos with a click, a lot more time effective than playing around with Adobe and then deciding you don't like the end result. If you're feeling adventurous you can also start to create your own filters and effects. The HDR easy photo alignment is a godsend. In the past I've always had a bit of difficulties creating corrected merged HDR images, but Paintshop seems to excel here. Not to forget being able to create a HDR from a single RAW image.

While installation of the software which included setting up an online account was easy, actually using the software, getting used to the interface and what does what and why does take time, practice and patience - it's definitely worth the learning curve.

With all video and photo editing please make sure that your computer or laptop is well up to the task as both processes are system resource intensive.

Without a doubt an excellent editing and photo management suite that offers plenty of tools with almost endless possibilities.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a huge step up from Pro x4, 27 Sept. 2012
James Burnwood "JB" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After un-installing the previous version of this software to install this latest version I wondered what was different. The box it came in was lighter and didn't come with the nice heavy instruction booklet that pro x4 did. I see that if I want access to any tutorials or any updates I have to register an account online. OK that's not too much of a hassle in this day and age but it seemed annoying, especially with the lack of the instruction booklet as an alternative. Anyway the software seemed to take three times as long to open after you double click it and then is quite sluggish. Would I 'upgrade' to this if you're happily using the pro x4 version? No.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money., 28 April 2013
This review is from: Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Very impressed with this product. Compared to other photo editing software I think it is great value for money. To get the most out of the product and to realise its capabilities I bought Picture Yourself Learning Corel PaintShop Pro X5 by Diane Koers. There are also some very good tutorials online which are a great help if you are new to PaintShop Pro.

1.0 out of 5 stars No real improvement, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Corel seem to excel at trumpeting minor improvements as a "new" product. Basically X4 with a second service pack. I'm sure you can expect the same as previous issues and a major release of bug fixes IDC. Happily, this was bought for me by a well meaning relative who "saw it and thought it would help". Cheaper than some other software out there, but you can tell where the money goes. I went from X3 to X4 (neither one worked properly and I have an email from Corel customer support acknowledging X3 "didn't work properly"- Overall, it looks good and does some things well but others dreadfully (most annoying crop tool in the world!) but it's one to avoid. I've uninstalled it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paint Shop Crap! Worst yet!!, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
What can I say? With this program every version gets worse. I've been using PSP since the Jassac days and it was a good photoshop alternative back then. I was quite exited when Corel took over and despite a rocky start they managed to pull it together on a number of releases. This however is not one of them. After having PSP X2 and PSP X4 I decided to upgrade to X5 after having a little pop up window telling me about the new release so I thought why not?
Turned out to be my biggest mistake ever. The program is unusable, it's slow, it crashes and freezes every few seconds. If I am lucky enough to get it working it lasts for minutes before freezing and becoming unresponsive again. The only way to exit the program is through task manager. Looking at the Corel support forums a lot of people are having the same problem but Corel don't seem to be doing anything about it, I guess we have to wait for an update which could be months down the line. I have a pretty decent machine which is quite powerful and it's well maintained so the problem isn't with my PC (everything else including older versions work). Corel have really dropped the ball with this one, it's terrible, I cant use it to do anything. Their customer service is awful (I bought a digital download from them) and I tried to get a refund from Corel and they took weeks to respond and then told me I have to wait (and I am still waiting). You now only get 1 support ticket if you run in to problems and then you have to pay for every time you contact them after that. It's ridiculous. This will be the last product I ever buy from them again. Please do yourself a favour and buy something else...anything over this.

****update****

Since posting my review I did manage to get a refund from Corel, but it took nearly 3 months.

I have since tried the software again and I am happy to say after 2 updates the software works much better now, although I had to delete the video folders from the Corel browser as it seemed to cause the program to crash.
I still think the program needs some work, but it's much better now. It does everything I need and with ease. I'd like to see native 64 bit support in future versions, this is a must and if Corel can do this I would consider buying a future release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
great

3.0 out of 5 stars Paint shop, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I would recommend this to my friends. I brought this for an Xmas present it arrived in very good time

1.0 out of 5 stars slow, 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
been using paintshop pro for years. just been using the trial version of x5 and god its so sloooooowwwwwww
worst version ive ever used. going to stick to x4 which is slow compared to elements ect but useful for some bits. read review on pc pro magazine will tell you same thing.

Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate (PC) by Corel (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)