5.0 out of 5 stars This book has saved my sanity
Published on 30 Sep 2012 by K. Flaeschner

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this on Kindle!
This book had really good reviews so I went ahead and bought it. As a confirmed Kindle user, naturally I took the Kindle option but am very disappointed. I wasn't bothered about the pictures but I find the layout quite confusing and when the links don't take you to where they should and the back button doesn't always take you back to the correct location, I ended up...
Published 18 months ago by E. Mills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has saved my sanity, 30 Sep 2012
K. Flaeschner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle (Kindle Edition)
I am on a paleo diet since nearly one year and have found it to be perfect, I lost lots of weight effortlessly whilst feeling great. At the same time I transitioned my then 3 year old onto paleo (he has got a host of problems, several allergies, had infant reflux, hypotonia, hypermobility, sensory processing disorder, eczema) and whilst it bettered LOTS of his symptoms he was never completely fine, his sleep was TERRIBLE, he would literally wake up every hour.
fast forward to the book practical paleo and it's awesome meal plans for different conditions. PLUS I heard of FODMAPS for the first time ever, the day I took these out of my sons diet he slept 12 hours straight!!!!! And continues to do so, his skin is fab now (and you can instantly tell when he had something that doesn't suit him..)
I have to say this book has saved my sanity, because sleep deprivation is not fun. Especially not for nearly 3.5 years!!
The recipes are great too - I have cooked a lot of them and I love the simplicity of them. Yet they are still tasty!!
Thank you Diane!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
Bought this after reading all the hype and it really lives up to it. It is a one-stop Paleo reference guide and more. No more trawling the Internet with keyword searches - it's all here. I recommend this book to anyone who has already adopted a Paleo lifestyle - particularly newbies - and also to anyone who is interested in learning more about Paleo before embarking on their own journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
Despite being paleo for a while now, this is the first paleo book I actually bought. I wanted something that I could use without switching on the computer and after reading other reviews, this seemed pretty perfect. I wanted the background to motivate myself whenever I felt like straying and I wanted a good range of recipes to refer to. I was pretty curious about the meal plans, as well.

It's a great book for those starting out with paleo, as it contains a good range of info, recipes and pull out guides that are easy-to-read and easy to refer to. It's a great introduction - it is not a 'complete' book by any means, I wouldn't use it as the only source of information regarding the science and I'm sure anyone who is dubious about the whole paleo approach could easily pick it apart.

Each meal plan is so much more than it sounds. Rather than just listing what you should eat, she details paleo variations for specific health conditions, lifestyles or goals (i.e. autoimmune conditions, athletic lifestyles or losing weight). Each meal plan contains info on which foods you should especially avoid and which you should include more of to help. Each includes supplements which may assist. Then she gives you a 30 day meal plan, using recipes from the book. I'm not sure I could follow the meal plans as they seem too monotonous and too expensive for my likes, but it's good to see what she would advise. I believe (I'm not referring to my book right now, so I could be wrong) each meal plan is only intended to be followed for 30 days, to allow the body to heal, and then you can return to basic paleo eating thereafter (unless you find you have an intolerance to something you were avoiding). So, if you don't want to put too much thought into devising your own meal plan for the 30 days, I'm sure it's great to have it all set out - it's not like she expects you to eat the same meal plan month after month.

Some of the recipes weren't to my tastes, perhaps because it is aimed at an American palate, there have been a few nice ones though. The pictures are excellent and each recipe includes variations in case you don't tolerate certain foods. There are quite a few recipes and a good range but I wouldn't buy this book if you are solely looking for recipes.

I would mark the book down for the price and for the book itself (the cover curled as soon as I opened it, which is annoying).
I can't compare it to other paleo books, but as someone who was already informed about paleo prior to reading, I would definitely recommend this book as an introduction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Paleo book for newbies, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
I am just starting out with Paleo, and bought 3 books from Amazon. This book is the best recipe / meal planning book of the three.
Good points are:
set out like an educational text book, with clear diagrams and easy to read science stuff
The food looks tasty and the pictures enticing
Tear outs at the back are great for a quick remnder on whats in/out of the plan
Most recipes have just a few easy to get ingredients
Good way to get started
Bad points:
American language used
Some recipes for American market e.g.Pumpkin Custard Pie
All the different meal plans for diffent complaints appeared repetitive and padded out the book somewhat.

Overall it's a keeper and better than Everyday Paeleo for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 10 Jan 2014
C. Poyser "angellove" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
Bought this book as my hubby has been put on this eating plan by his Specialist for an illness. Loads and loads of good, recipes for this eating plan. Use it every day at some point! Would definitely recommend this book to anyone hoping to follow this way of eating!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on the subject, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
I love this book! The menus are wonderful and the information is superb. Anyone suffering from a food intolerance or autoimmune problem would greatly benefit from this book - makes life so much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Paleo a Beautiful Work, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
Practical Paleo is a stunning book, formidable in its contents and a potential life saver to those still stuck in the low-fat high carb diet worldview. I subscribe whole heartedly to the message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Paleo, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
I'm new to Paleo lifestyle and this book has lots of information. It is very big with wide contents of treating various problems from diabetes to just 30 days clean Paleo. I must say I started this plan last week with amazing results. My skin is not clearing yet but my stomach feels so much flatter and I lots 2.5 kilos in one week. However I have still one coffee with a bit of normal milk. I tried the cocunut milk for coffee but it changes the all taste of the coffee. I'm making lots of soups. For breakfast I have fruit salad. Lunch is some chicken, salad and few wedges of sweet potato if I have been training hard and then dinner is soup. It takes time to prepare your meals but is worth it because you will feel great. Back to the book. I haven't read it all yet but it has got great recipes. Even if you have sweet tooth like me there are Paleo friendly alternatives. I hope I stick with it and lose my last stone. People been commenting how much slimmer I look. No more bloated carb face :) If you are beginner like me this book is perfect for you. It has got all the information you will ever need about Paleo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Paleo, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
A very well written book with lots of extra information. My big problem is it is American so some products are not easy to find once we translate the different names of the ingredients to English English rather than American english.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop thinking about it and buy it!, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Practical Paleo (Paperback)
I purchased this book eight months ago and it has not made it onto the bookshelf as I use it all the time! The title is perfect as these are recipes that you can make every day and not just for special occasions. The recipes do not often use expensive ingredients and don't take long. This is the best cookbook I've ever bought, paleo or otherwise.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›