4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 24 Mar. 2014
kirstyv (Torquay, Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into the Deep (Kindle Edition)
For a fan of the YA and paranormal genres Into the Deep is an intriguing notion; this is a story which tells how the world of a popular high school girl becomes overwhelming after she falls in a swimming pool, banging her head, waking the next day and realizing she is telepathic.
Ivy is slowly ostracized by her prominent group of friends, as she becomes aware of their real thoughts and cruelty towards her and others. Not only does Lauryn April use Ivy's telepathy to reveal the true nature of people, but Ivy hears a voice in the corridor which prompts her to find the individual who 'admits' they are going to blow up the school.
Lauryn April develops her plot brilliantly, drawing Ivy further into the tension; Ivy's 'talent' no longer her lonely secret as she is befriended by school outsider Brant. Brant not only helps Ivy narrow down possible candidates for the role of the mystery bomber, but with his support she is able to enhance her telepathic powers.
The relationship between Brant and Ivy begins tentatively, initially based on assumptions, but as Lauryn April evolves their friendship, each character opens up to the other, sharing secrets and feelings.
Into the Deep is not just a paranormal romance as Lauryn April leaves her reader with a poignant message. This is definitely a book I would recommend, and I look forward to its sequel and more by the same author.
I received this as a review copy, but this has had no influence on my opinion​

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars., 17 April 2014
This review is from: Into the Deep (Kindle Edition)
3 star for the first half. 4 star for the second half.

Well, I downloaded this as a freebie back in 2012 and it had been sitting on my kindle for ages so as part of Goodreads' "We (heart) YA"'s ABC challenge I decided to read this.

For the first 20-25% I was a little bored with it, finding it hard to get into and Ivy's friends were hard to like. However when Brant really came a part of her life, after the school classes and he more or less saved her, I started to really get into it. Romance reader and all... :)

I really liked the progression of their relationship going from wary classmates to boyfriend/girlfriend. It was a complicated journey thanks to Ivy wanting someone else who wanted her friend but they got there in the end.

As for the plot to blow up the school...I was stumped as to who was behind it. I think I ran through every member of the plot apart from the ones we were centring on. Still had no idea.

I feel I ought to mention Charlie too. She was pretty cool and seems like she'd be a great friend to have.

I know there's a second book in the series but after reading the synopsis of it I'm not sure I want to read it, mainly because it sounds like Brant and Ivy aren't together anymore :(

5.0 out of 5 stars B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Into the Deep (Paperback)
We are very proud to announce that Into The Deep by Lauryn April has been honored with the B.R.A.G.Medallion. This tells readers that this is most certainly a book well worth your time and money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 4 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Into the Deep (Kindle Edition)
This starts off as interesting, and gets more and more so. The main character, Ivy, is at first under the influence of a superficial, vain set of girls who see themselves as 'high flyers' but gradually, her new abilities lead her not only to detect a deadly threat to her fellow students but also, that people are often very different from how they appear to be. This has happy and unhappy consequences for Ivy, who begins to question her old values.

In company with the School Bad Boy (colourfully and sensitively drawn) Ivy is forced to confront the dangers into which her new, extra sensory powers lead her.

I particularly like the conjoining of the psychological and the psychic in this book. The writing is lively, but there are serious points being made about teen culture. The two main characters stand out because they are learning to question the accepted values of their contemparies. They are lead into an uneasy partnership and a terrible sense of responsibility.

There are a lot of brilliant descriptive touches, so many that it is hard to pick one out, but my favourite is 'the clouds looked like orange waves rolling in and crashing against the darkening sky'.

The characters are excellently drawn in this, the pace is well maintained throughout, the tone of realism is impressive, and the contrast between the normal school background of Ivy and her associates makes a telling contrast to her strange experiences.

This is the third YA I've really enjoyed of late, and I have to give it a five star rating.

Into the Deep