Format: Audio CDChange

on 14 September 2012
What you do if your Billy Talent is put together an album of tracks that could have made their way onto any of those first three albums and throw in some that are most definitely new classics.

One of the most consistent bands working today these boys never fail to deliver. What does Billy Talent stand for? Quality, honesty and integrity. After one listen I wasn't sure, after two I was coming around, after three I started to really appreciate it and after listens four and five I realised I was going to have to start rationing my listening to twice a day.

The album really does take you on a journey there are songs here that wouldn't sound out of place on any of their three releases and some which clearly define this as one of their strongest offerings yet. At 14 tracks it comes in at over 50 minutes and so you could expect some filler.... But it's BT so no such thing, I was sure after a few listens there'd be a couple of tracks I'd be skipping past but no such thing this has quality oozing out of every track.

All packaged up with a tight production the band have never sounded better and this is surely vocalist Ben's finest hour with just the right amount of screaming and singing throughout.

So to sum up they continue to thrive in their very own genre, are they a mix of pop/punk/indie/skate/metal? No. They're Billy Talent and long may they reign.
on 5 October 2012
I've listened to this album countless times, and it is amazing.

I've loved Billy Talen since Billy Talent I through till III. I don't think I can compare this album with the others. It has a slightly different sound and feel to the others, but still it sounds distinctly like Billy Talent. A good mix of heavier and softer songs, and interesting lyrics.

I will admit, the first time I listened to the album I was unsure, but the second time I listened, well, it was awesome.

Look forward to listening to this album again, and again, and again....

If you liked their earlier albums, I think you will like this album to.

Favourite songs 'Swallowed Up by the Ocean' and 'Viking Death March'.
on 29 December 2012
I'm not even going out on a limb here, but Dead Silence for me is the album of 2012. It's a fantastic and awe-inspiring listen! From the medieval opening of Lonely Road To Absolution to the anthem like closer of Dead Silence, this is an album brimming with quality to the full on every single song. That's right, every single song. There is not a hint of filler anywhere on this remarkable album. It's as if the lads thought "Holy s***, we can put everything we have on this CD." There are 14 songs here and it's nearly an hour long but again I repeat....there's not a single filler track here.

Ian D'Sa's production is fantastic. The clarity and crispness of sound is a credit to him. The baselines are immaculately captured and Jon Gallant shines on this album.

Musically it's quite simply a rock album and its an excellent one at that. There are shades of The Cure on Show Me The Way and Ben's vocal honestly put me in mind of Bruce Dickinson at his best. There are anthems here in the shape of Dead Silence and Swallowed Up By The Ocean. There are pounders like "Viking Death March". There's punk rock here in the shape of Surprise Surprise and Man Alive! Whatever the "mood" the whole album bristles with quality whilst retaining the Billy Talent signature sound throughout.

Considering the quality and maturity on offer here its very surprising that Kerrang surmised that Billy Talent weren't a bigger band because of Kowalewicz's voice and D'Sa's hair(?). Ben's voice is superb throughout and Ian's hair has got nothing to do with the album. So I'll say what I think the inept Kerrang reporter should have said all along. Namely that this album will go down as a classic. Without a doubt the album of 2012 and arguably of the last 5 years.
on 9 November 2012
If youre a long term fan of Billy Talent, youll be familiar with
their sound. This album reinforces that sound, but with a lyrical content
that tells a good story but still retains all the drive and energy
that youve come to expect. When I think 'lyrics' I think of two other
bands of which I'm a great fan also - Green Day and Manic Street Preachers -
great tunes, but sometimes I just dont get what theyre singing about!
Anyway , back to Billy Talent, or 'The Talent' as I call them.
All the tracks are good, but track 9 'hanging by a thread' is my own personal favourite.
Plus, if you get the chance, see them live - I just saw them at Rock City in
Nottingham last night, and they were fantastic.
Basically, good sound, good tunes, good words, delivered with
enthusiastic energy and drive - what more do you need from a c.d!
The clue is in the name - 'Talent' - nuff said!
on 3 October 2012
My first Amazon review!

Only 3 other reviews, so I thought I'd come in with my praise.

First thing, I'm not a die hard Billy Talent fan. However I do own the outfits previous 4 releases and have enjoyed them all. This is the best of the bunch! It is true to say they have progressed from release to release, and unlike many other bands they have stayed true to their genre. There is no attempt to become over commercial here!

After several plays I am yet to have skipped a track, each time feeling the joy of hearing the song like I did on the first listen! Simply amazing..!!

Stand out tracks Viking Death March, Hanging By A Thread and Swallowed Up By The Ocean.

Get this album in your life now!!! The rock album of the year!!!! BUY IT!!!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2012
Been looking forward to this for a long time. Since iTunes became so usable and useful, I've barely bought any actual CDs, but had to make an exception for this. Glad I did as it's definitely in keeping with their style. Very few weak songs, and quite a variety in terms of genre, while still staying true to what their fans love them for. If you didn't like Billy Talent before, nothing's changed so stay away. If you are a fan, buy it. You're unlikely to be disappointed.
on 9 January 2013
Fabulous! Never before have 14 perfect rock tracks appeared on a studio album (although Machinae Supremacy's "A View From The End Of The World" came close) Every track is a rock master class that has that distinctive Billy Talent sound, but taken up a level. If you're a Billy Talent fan, buy this album without hesitation. If you're not a Billy Talent fan, buy this album and join the gang.
on 20 November 2012
Billy Talent yet again hit heights most bands only dream of. Throughout their career they've been brilliant and I was slightly apprehensive that "Dead Silence" wouldn't match their previous efforts but I was's pure genius. Existing Billy Talent fans will love it, new fans will love it. Roll on the live shows!!
on 20 September 2012
i purchased this album as i have been a fan of them since the start now this is a great album but i feel it wont grow on me as much as the other albums

only buy this if u really are a true billy talent fan if u have heard about them from a friend then i suggest you buy billy talent 1 2 or 3
on 7 November 2012
The album is brilliant, lots of amazing riffs, harmonies and songs. Couple of slow(ish) songs on there as well, nice to hear. In full, if you like Billy Talent, you must buy this album. If like Punk Rock, you need to buy this album and the rest of Billy Talent's stuff. Incredible live and recorded