Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 12 October 2012
If I was in teacher training today (I taught in the 70s) I would have Praise, Motivation and the Child top of my reading list & keep it to hand for future reference. I am in awe of the reading and research that Gill Robins has done to produce a serious text book for teachers which is at the same time accessible and interesting reading for anyone interested in education. She has done the hard work of reading and drawing together all the relevant research, ideas and papers of the last century, presented arguments and ideas clearly and comprehensively so that the reader can then think, follow up, discuss and try out for themselves. Points for Reflection at the end of each chapter are clear, detailed and practical, and the excellent appendices and bibliography are comprehensive.

Praise, Motivation and the Child made me really think about reward and praise in the classroom and how education in the 21st century might need to change and develop to suit the modern world. It also helped me to understand the motivation behind Academies. My thinking about education has changed as a result of reading this book - an outcome that I was not expecting but am delighted by.

There were so many phrases and ideas that IPraise, Motivation and the Child wanted to note down for future reference and here is just one that I particularly liked:'Praise becomes informative and it is the feelings of autonomy, mastery and interest which motivate further learning.'
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse