4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the earlier model, but still not 5 star
My better half dropped our Skype phone in a sink full of water, so we had to buy a new one!

Published 23 months ago by P. Haynes

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life
Good reception and quite easy to use. HOWEVER, not clear when the phone is sitting in the cradle properly and charging. Also the battery life is NO WHERE near what the product description says it is. Standby life is about 10 hours (not the 100 claimed) and talk time more like an hour (not the 10 claimed).

Keeping the product as it is the only one available...
Published 21 months ago by Stephen

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the earlier model, but still not 5 star, 7 Jan 2013
P. Haynes (Maidstone, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RTX DUALphone 4088 Skype and UK Landline Phone - Black (No PC Required) (Electronics)

But the old one (the earlier version of this) had problems even before my wife drowned it - the ringer had stopped working when it was only about 15 months old (if you read the reviews you'll find this is a very common problem). We couldn't return it as we bought it directly from Skype and it appears to be impossible to engage in any sort of dialogue with Skype. Hopefully they've sorted out the ringer problem, but if this one starts to play up it's going straight back - and the stars on this review are going down to 1!

The phone itself is quite an improvement on the first model. It is lighter and sleeker (and no longer has that odd 'belt clip') and, most importantly, it has 'normal' buttons, not the awful rubber ones the previous model has. It also appears to have a much better sound quality, and we have been able to have problem free calls with people who used to not be able to hear us half the time. With Skype you never know if call quality is the phone or the connection, so this might have nothing to do with the phone at all, but it does seem to be fairly consistently better. It's also very easy to set up, and, much to my surprise, we didn't have to re-enter the landline numbers we had stored in the old phone.

But, as well as making some very necessary improvements, the designers have also made a couple of changes for the worse - hence the loss of one star. Rather oddly, the screen is smaller than on the earlier model. It's only slightly smaller, but, as the screen on the previous model was too small, I would have expected a much bigger one on the new version. Given the size of screens we're used to on mobile phones these days, the decision to use such a tiny screen is really odd. And it IS tiny - I have to wear my reading glasses just to make a phone call!

The other backwards step is the charger base. They've redesigned this completely (why? the old one was fine) and cocked it up completely. First, the phone doesn't fit snuggly into the base, it just sort of wobbles about in it, so you've no idea if it's 'home' properly, and secondly, they've taken away the LED that used to tell you the phone was charging! So now you have no idea if the phone is inserted properly and charging - the only way to tell is to check the microscopic charging icon on the TINY screen. And you can only do that for a few seconds before the screen goes blank. (And, by the way, they've redesigned the bottom of the phone, so you can't just pop it into the old base!)

They've obviously carried out a production cost audit and listened to the idiot who did it ("LED - no one needs that and no one will notice it's gone, let's save 2p a phone and get rid of it").

Given all the problems with the earlier version, this was a golden opportunity to redesign this phone and make it really fit for purpose. It's such a pity that they didn't take that opportunity fully. Especially as this is the only real 'option' for a Skype phone. If there were other (and hopefully better) Skype phones on the market, I'd have given this one 1 star and the review would be entitled "Don't buy it". But as it is, you don't really get a choice, so I've given it four stars for trying.

4.0 out of 5 stars With all of its minor niggles, this is a good product, 27 Sep 2013
I am a seasoned user of Skype phones, having used them pretty regularly for 10 years or so.

I came to the 4088 reluctantly. I had used the 3088 for quite a few years, and ground my teeth every time I had to fork out for a replacement handset due to the faulty ringer. The rubbery keys didn't add to my enjoyment either.

So I decided to give the Philips VOIP8551B a try. See my product review if you;'re interested; suffice it to say, this was a turkey!

Then I came round to the 4088. This phone does the job better than well. Okay, so the charging cradle is wobbly, the screen is small, and the setup takes a bit of patience. But I have been using this phone for 6 months now and it does the job. It rings my Skype-In calls perfectly, I've never had a problem with outgoing calls, the list of contacts shows up every time, and the sound quality is excellent.

Tip: the rechargeable AAA batteries that came with the phone died after 20 mins or so off the cradle in spite of careful initial charging and conditioning. I replaced these with the highest capacity AAA I could get, and no problems since.

4.0 out of 5 stars There is a down side to this otherwise great skype phone!, 5 Nov 2012
This is an upgrade on a skype phone I already have, however the downside of this model is that the craddle is not deep enough to hold the phone. Its easy to knock over and it does not always charge the battery because the phone is not making contact.

Having said that the phone itself, is clear and easy to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, 1 Mar 2013
Regard less of all the negative feedback i have read on this phone i decided. to go ahead and try it for myself. and cant fault it. works great for landline skype calls and easy to setup.All your skype contacts are stored on the device and can easily switch between landline and skype calls also shows if an incoming call is recieved on the landline or skype. number.phone also updates itself to the latest firmware. Also had free skype credit with the phone

Goes to show never judge a book by its cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 2 April 2013
Mr. David C. Brook "dave_or_did" (Lincoln, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't had a single problem with this yet after using it regularly for a couple of months to call out to landlines and mobiles in a different country. It works exactly as advertised. I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life, 21 Mar 2013
Stephen - See all my reviews

Keeping the product as it is the only one available for Skype use.

Overall quite disappointing as I seem to be constantly charging the unit up.

5.0 out of 5 stars RTX 4088 DUAL PHONE, 9 Dec 2012
Mrs. G. M. Hutton Brown (Spain) - See all my reviews
As of yet cant fault this phone. Easy to install. Had to update software before use. Would recommend this product

1.0 out of 5 stars Two units failed at exactly the same time,, 14 Aug 2014
Mr. Paul Millsom (UK) - See all my reviews
Worked for about two weeks but then the phone would not connect to the base station. Got a replacement - the same happened again after 3 weeks of reliable usage.
I bought a second phone for my in-laws. The too had the same problem as ourselves on the same afternoon. The handset lost connection and kept reporting 'connecting' but failing to do so.
After about 5 resets of the broadband hub, the base station and the handset we could set no get the handset to connect.

Strange that the issue happened with both my phone and the in-laws phone on the same afternoon. Wonder if its a compatibility issue with the Skype network. Did Skype do some kind of network upgrade today? Or did BT do something that caused the fault?

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditch the traditional land-line and buy one of these! Save £140 a year and MORE ...every year!, 6 Dec 2014
This our second purchase of an RTX Dualphone. Our first model was the earlier 3088 model. Unfortunately I accidentally killed it I think ...by dropping it ...more than once >>>> shhh ...don't tell her indoors!
The new 4088 model works a treat. We ordered the white version ...very smart! Shame they didn't make the screen a tad bigger, but otherwise it absolutely does the job. I've read a few reviews that suggest it might be easy to knock it out of the cradle. I can't see this as likely during normal use. Sits in there quite well and even jiggling it about still shows it as charging. So I'd ignore the 'poor cradle' comments generally.
By the way, we ditched our normal land-line a couple of years ago in favour of a Skype 'Land-line' number via our existing broadband connection. To buy the number it costs about (I think) £40 per year. So that's equivalent to £3.33 a month as opposed to the usual £15 month line rental. So you're immediately saving about £140 a year! It provides us with a standard land-line number so friends and family can call as normal. Plus our usual Skype calls are received on it too. Skype Credit (for land-line out calls) is taken from your account in £10 chunks as n' when your credit falls below a set level. My Skype Credit payments are well WELL below standard 'traditional' charges - providing even MORE savings. The rates are excellent. And remember, you still receive normal Skype to Skype calls for FREE.
So ditch the traditional land-line and buy one of these! ...and "No" ...I don't work for RTX or Skype! ...lol

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems so far!!, 1 Jun 2014
I found this product better than the reviews and certainly better than its predecessor RTX Dualphone 3088, which I had nothing but problems with and was pretty much unusable.
This product is sleek and thus far has given me no problems at all. It doesn't sit as snug within the charger but if placed securely and out of harms way will charge with no problem for me.