Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 October 2012
Fantastic album from brilliant guitar player Paul Gilbert. The first track is somehow a hommage to Zappa's music (imho), and some other tracks have a jazz/rock/funk/end 70's feel to them. There's also an awesome blues track, very much in the vein of LZ's Tea for One...Love it!
A groovy sped up cover of Brubeck's Blue Rondo à la Turk and some other covers (Ac/dc,...).
I've enjoyed every PG solo album, but this one explores different and others musical genres and moods and it's all great.
The playing is amazing, great guitar, great keyboard playing and a fantastic rhythm section...What more do we need?
on 15 December 2012
Welcome to the wacky world of guitar superstar Paul Gilbert.Glad to see that he hasn't lost his crazy sense of humour as demonstrated on the tracks "Enemies in Jail" and "Bivalve Blues." The guitar playing is,as one would expect,off the scale(no pun intended),and some of the solos seem to have a jazzier feel in places,possibly influenced by the phenomenal keyboard solos played by his very gifted wife.Throw in the drumming talents of Thomas Lang, and you have one terrific album.
My only slight complaint would be the inclusion of the three bonus live tracks.
on 4 December 2012
I've had this CD for about a month now and have come to the conclusion that it's absolutely brilliant. If you enjoy Gilbert's guitar playing then this is certainly for you but the eclectic mix of musical styles is what impresses me most. Many musical styles are covered and they even chuck in a great live version of Yes' Roundabout.

Too many highlights to detail here. Highly recommended.
on 3 November 2013
This album is a combination of leftovers from his previous sessions and live recordings from the European tour of Fuzz Universe. Unfortunately that is also exactly how it sounds. It focuses mostly on that dirty 70's groove that Fuzz contained so much of and it showcases Paul's unique view of the world on the vocal tracks. Some of the individual tracks are worthy contenders to appear on Fuzz or Silence and there's even that Racer-X spark on Rain and Thunder and Lightning, but for about half the album I can see why they didn't make it to the end of the original sessions. This gives the album a bit of an eclectic feel and doesn't have the same level of consistency throughout or take off in the same way as his last two efforts. The live tracks are well recorded and round out the album nicely taking my memories back to the show, especially hearing the very underrated Tony Spinner again on second guitar. But it's not enough to save what is undoubtedly a competent album from being great.
on 19 March 2013
Don't get me wrong, this album is a great effort from Paul, but I preferred Fuzz Universe. Great version of Roundabout though! As a devout Yes fan I was curious to hear this version and it is different in that there's no keys, but still very exciting!
on 24 October 2012
In my opinion this is Paul's best solo album to date. It seems that he's done a different thing to the usual here; the songs seem that they were written more as songs for a band rather than as "guitar music". In fact, there are even long passages where there's hardly any guitar at all, minus some low-mixed backing parts!
There are no songs on this album that I don't genuinely love. It's not worth going through them all here, but if you like Mr. Gilbert's previous solo work and you're a fan of intelligent rock music then I'm sure this album will be to your tastes.

EDIT: "rick" music isn't a thing. Oops
on 27 April 2013
My brother tells me that it only plays tracks 1 to 4 then wont play the rest of the tracks, he has a portable cd/radio player and a full stereo system in his bedroom, it will however play on his PS2 through the television.
We have tried many other cd's in his collection and all of these devices to work ok with his cd's
on 2 November 2012
I was lucky enough to be at the Marshall 50 years of loud concert (which Paul played a mind blowing little set at) and I have to admit I hadn't heard much of his stuff before, but I was so impressed with him live I thought I would definitely buy his new album.

I'll admit I checked out a few of his songs on youtube prior to listening to this, and I was half expecting a Satriani/Vai/Malmsteen kind of approach with lots of 'wow look at me' guitar instrumentals and lots of melodic modal work.

But after listening I realised that this almost isn't a solo album as its very much a 'band effort'. Yes, Paul's guitar work is incredible however his wife on the keyboards is also absolutely brilliant and the bass and drums are also played exceptionally well. You can definitely tell they 'click' as a band. Will definitely be keeping an eye on any tour dates in the UK for this album.

A MUST for any fan of rock or fusion! Most of the tracks are sort of funky rock but there are plenty of extremely jazzy breakdowns and a blues track thrown in for good measure.
on 15 May 2015
PG, always searching for something new, always teaming up with great musicians, and the best part is, as the title says, that simple vibrato
on 16 October 2012
It looks like Amazon and iTunes both downloaded their mp3s from the same dodgy site.
This is NOT the new album, just a collection of old PG songs.