Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.49

on 11 April 2013
Both my husband and I have read this book, we have very different tastes in reading material, and we both enjoyed it. It goes at a fast pace and as the right balance of intrigue and human interaction to hold your attention and to encourage you to care about the characters.

The Tsunami was described in such detail that you could actually feel the fear that those who have actually been involved in one must feel, I was particularlhy stuck by the includsion of people who ignored the warnings as this is just what happens in real life.

Boyd Morrison is an observer of life and an excellent researcher and it is these skills that make this an excellent read.
In my view, a good novel should be an easy read which keeps the punter entranced and I have to say that this book came recommended as something that would keep me captivated! Certainly the subject matter, currently heavily in the news - asteroid strike along with the resultant damage, was (and will) captivate....so I settled down to take this book in and, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by it.
Starting with the crashing of an airliner into the Pacific Ocean, it begins to dawn on the hero, Kai Tanaka, that we have a Tsunami building and Hawaii is in the path of what will prove to be a super Tsunami that within hours will crash into Honolulu where he is a director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre.
Certainly, with such limited time, you do scoff a little at the way in which the warnings are passed out to an unbelieving public - but then how many times have you been on the motorway, seen the overhead warnings of dire situations ahead, only to find the road absolutely clear? Well taking that same advice, what do you think your reaction would be?
We are reminded also that the Tsunami back in 2004 generated small waves but then, look at the devastation and indeed so too was the Japan Tsunami of 2011...but within this novel, the waves are considerably larger.
Fast paced with an easy writing style, Boyd Morrison drags you from building to building as the race to save the populace gets ever more frenetic until the first wave hits, followed by several more waves which turn out to be bigger and stronger than the first.
For me though, even though I did finish the book in the space of three sittings because you wanted to finish "just one more chapter", the detail was a little on the light side and characters and situations could have been developed a little more but, for a first book for me from this writer, I was more than taken in with the story and writing style so I will now go on and read more of Morrison's work!
on 2 October 2013
I just wanted to say thanks to Boyd for a fantastic book I picked up on kindle while doing my usual last minute bulk book buying for holiday. never heard of him but I love anything to do with good disaster movies, and since I got married in Hawaii last year I thought this book looked worth a buy.
I LOVED IT. From start to finish. As a big girls blouse (I am a girl but still...) I was bubbling away at various points especially at the end, to the confusion of my hubby on the adjacent sun bed. No alcohol involved!
Tsunami did it for me primarily for the emotion, the attention to detail which made it so realistic, particularly after recent real life events which have shown the impact of these disasters. due to the personal connection to the Hawaiian islands, I also related to it because the islands are so beautiful, as are the people, living on such a fragile part of the world.
it was the kind of book that left me feeling small in the context of planet earth, angry for the selfish arses who just are there in life, and heartened that there can be so much good in others.
Not bad for a fiction book , I would highly recommend it - and Hawaii for anyone who's not been - get there!!!
on 17 January 2013
Fast paced and scary. I could not put the book down. I will never sit on a beach and be completely relaxed again.
on 14 November 2012
I read this book a while back in its international edition called Rogue Wave. I also reviewed it and am simply cutting and pasting what I wrote here.

From the off, The Tsunami Countdown sets you up for a frenetic ride with page turning action and nail biting set pieces.

I had thought this book would be a struggle to get through as it's pretty much about a tsunami hitting Hawaii, but there's a lot more too it. Well, maybe not much more to it (there's more than one wave) but the characters and their respective predicaments guide you through the 392 pages.

With excellent attention to detail, Rogue Wave and Boyd Morrison are a very welcome addition to the action / adventure genre nestling nicely alongside James Rollins, Matthew Reilly, Andy McDermott and Clive Cussler.
on 3 April 2015
Everyone loves a good disaster story where the human spirit shines through and the author has created just that. I read the entire book overnight and then had the most peaceful sleep ever. My emotions were spent and my mind did not have to process anything as everything was explained properly. I can't say this for many books. Hopefully people reading this book will learn what to do (and not to do) in case of a tsunami. I can't forget the case of the English holidaymakers in Thailand whose daughter alerted them that the withdrawal of the sea was a sign of a tsunami and they took her seriously and retreated to safety. This book was conceived and written prior to the 2004 tsunami. The theory of an asteroid strike is not as far-fetched as people might imagine. It is good to know and be prepared.
on 15 November 2012
The Tsunami Countdown gripped me from the very first page and it never let go until I closed the book, exhausted but thoroughly entertained. It was totally unexpected as I hadn't read a Boyd Morrison book before this but I will certainly read his next one.

The story never lets up and I loved how the author morphed science with fiction and brought not only the Tsunami to life but Hawaii too. Desperate to escape you could feel their desperation as the characters tried to escape to higher ground.

One of the great things about this book apart from being such a quick read was that you never quite knew what was coming next and who would survive.

Highly recommended I loved this book.
on 23 July 2015
The Tsunami Countdown is the first book that I have read from author Boyd Morrison. I love a good disaster book and this is definitely one of those.

I love how every now and again he leaves you on a cliff hanger to move onto another some other character.

One disappointment was the fact it was over way too quickly, I wanted to know how it would end but I also wanted it to keep reading.

I grew to love the main characters and I just wanted them to survive. Do they survive? You just have to get your own copy to find out.

Boyd Morrison is an author to keep your eye on.
on 25 February 2013
A fine book that explores the scenario of an asteroid strike in the Pacific and the subsequent tsunami generated.Mr Morrison has chosen a new set of characters for this novel and has them behave in a plausible manner.
Two small errors-Christmas island in the Pacific is said to have a population of 3,200 (p.52) It is 5,115. P.54 states its highest point as "only twelve feet above sea level".Joe's Hill on the island is 13 metres(42 feet)high.
Recommended reading.
on 21 August 2013
Had nothing ells to read and still had this on the shelf from when a neighbour gave it to me, so at long last thought i'd give it a go. I couldn't put it down. I found i was reading it very fast, as if that would help speed up the c characters in their frantic flight. I thought i had got into books before, but this had my heart racing. I really mean it. I felt anxious and at times was in floods of tears. Excellent. Give it a go. I think i'll try his other books.