Colour Name: Black|Change

on 25 August 2015
I live in a 3 storey town house and bought the main unit plus 2 extra handsets (all white) so that I could place one on each floor. My first impression on opening the box was how small the handset is; resulting in a small screen with tiny lettering and quite small keys with almost impossible to see lettering. The alphabetical lettering on each number key is white on a blue background and makes life very difficult when entering contacts. However, once done, it’s not so much hassle.
I bought the phones to find out if they were good enough to enable me to drop the landline when my one year’s line rental expires in a few months’ time. I am pleased to report that they are and I will do so. I have both Skype and landline currently set up with different ring tones and they both work well. Basically the phone is the small box that connects permanently by cable to your broadband router. The small box communicates with the handsets by wi-fi. Whatever you do on one handset, like entering contacts, making and receiving calls, gets recorded in the small box and becomes immediately available on all the other handsets. You need to keep the phones on the bases when not in use otherwise you soon get a low battery warning. They also have quite a bright, blue notification light that flashes if you’ve missed a call or received a message, etc. This is OK most of the time but not OK in the bedroom when occasionally, in the middle of the night, some unknown Skype user requests addition to your contacts. I’ve covered up the blue light on the phone in the bedroom.
Generally, I’m pleased with the phones, just wish they were a bit bigger in size with bigger screen and keys and that, on Skype, you could block unknown people from hassling you. However, it’s not so bad as the cold calls you get on the landline.
on 2 June 2013
We used to have a RTX 3088 for a few years that worked well. This 4088 supposedly worked with multiple Skype accounts, so we decided to upgrade.

From the start the 4088 has been a useless piece of hardware. The sound quality is awful. The caller ID does not work for landlines. You need multiple handsets to use multiple Skype accounts. It cannot handle UK area codes with more that three digits.

And in the past couple of months, it gets confused and cannot tell whether the batteries are charged. It decides there is no battery power and just shuts off. It's become useless. I've not had it for six months, but get no support from the manufacturer.
on 29 January 2013
Phone is fine - menu system is easy to use - and easy to setup. It is certainly much better than the the RTX 3088 phone. Both my 3088 phones died after about 18 months - there seems to be a known speaker problem - no fix.

So I upgraded to the 4088 phone - BE WARNED - you need to buy both the phone and the base station. A 4088 phone is NOT compatible with a 3088 base station.

Call quality, reliability all seems fine at the moment - Jan 2013. If there are issues or problems I will update this review.
on 13 February 2014
I bought this to try it as I use Skype and have a Skype number for my business. I wanted to see if this allowed me to forward calls to another number (landline/mobile) with no time delay as you can do this with the computer based version of Skype provided you are signed in all the time. Sadly it only has the same options as the android/iphone app version which means you can change which number to forward the calls to but not how long it will take before it forwards them and so it takes 4 rings to do this - which is too long.

I also checked if you can leave this handset signed in (like having skype running on your computer) to see how long call forwarding would take - and again it took 4 rings.

So if like me you use a Skype number for business then the only option for call forwarding to work properly is to leave Skype signed in on a computer. If however you want a Skype handset to use as an Internet phone and combined landline it does work well and it is a good product for the money.

If Skype manage to sort out the call forwarding time delay issue then I would happily buy this again to use as my main tool for accessing Skype.
on 20 March 2014
I had the earlier model of this phone, we had it for around 4 yrs and I just thought we fancied a change.
The latest model is designed much better, the keys are a little larger, which makes dialing easier for me.

It was very easy to set up, probably took me about 5 minutes. using the phone without having to have my I Mac switched on is a bonus, because of the fact that the base station connects directly to you modem and of course, being able to use the Dual Phone as your normal land line phone and a Skype Phone is a bonus.

The only thing we found wrong, was the fact that the rechargeable batteries, you get with the phone are not the best quality, but, not a problem, we just replaced them with a better brand.

I would recommend the RTX Dual phone 4088.
on 17 January 2013
Review covers the RTX Dualphone 4088 system - this purchase was an additional handset.

I have used the RTX Dualphone 3088 for a couple of years and decided to upgrade to be able to use 2 Skype accounts on the same system. This works very well but landlines calls are completely impossible due to a severe echo in the earpiece of the handsets. Sound quality on Skype calls is very good so if that is all you need I would highly recommend the 4088. If you wish to make landline calls my recommendation is to buy something else. Will be returning this if the problem cannot be fixed.
on 24 July 2013
I use this wholly as a Skype phone. The sound quality is excellent and it is a vast improvement over earlier skype handsets I have had. I can't vouch for its functionality using multiple Skype accounts but it works well with your own skype out (skype number).

Without the need to turn on your pc this connects to your internet with a ethernet cable and the range on the handset is very good around the house and garden. The handset itself rings and has a flashing light if messages are left on your skype answer phone service.

I'm getting a second handset.

If you think you can do away with a landline this phone is certainly one to have a go with.

Coupled with a mobile you can cover all sorts of scenarios and get great prices on call costs.
on 10 January 2016
This is our third Skype phone, as they don't seem to last more than 3 years or so. But there doesn't appear to be any choice, so we've had to buy another of these.

Very old-fashioned design (looks and feels like a pre-smart phone mobile - complete with those awful rubber keys!). But it works well and is very easy to install (it does everything itself).

We no longer have a landline (we're on Virgin cable for internet), and now use our mobiles for 99% of calls, but my wife gets to talk to her mum (1,000 miles away) for 'free' with this phone, so it's worth having for us. But if we didn't have this specific requirement, we wouldn't bother with a Skype phone.
on 18 May 2014
then the phone will be an acceptable purchase. Be prepared to buy batteries - the ones supplied will absolutely not hold a charge. Less than one minute off the charger and it's dead. Lightweight, flimsy. Feels cheap, looks cheap. Should be cheaper to buy.
on 22 September 2015
Well i was very happy when these (i bought base station plus another) well made phones and base unit arrived but after 18months it just stopped working ! Both handsets can no longer register so i guess it is a base station issue. I found internet stories very simialr and some said they had rebooted but tried numerous re-boot sequences but no success.
There wasn't much competition at the tiem - and possibly still not so you might still want to go this way !!
Recommend you do a Google search to see if anyone advises of an upgrade - otherwise if you buy, buy from reputable supplier and keep the receipt !!