4.0 out of 5 stars Throw away the dusters!
From 1992's shattering "Little earthquakes" to 2011's haunting "Night of hunters", Tori Amos has certainly come a long way. With 12 studio albums, and 40+ singles, her compelling songwriting genius has produced countless moments to treasure forever. Celebrating 2 decades of recording, Tori decides to pay a visit to her back catalogue. She does not really...
Published on 28 Oct. 2012 by Scarlet Jupiter

3.0 out of 5 stars Long time Tori fans might be a little underwhelmed
There are no new tracks on this album - they are all remakes of songs from Tori's previous albums, and frankly, most of the originals sounded better (songs such as Cloud on My Tongue, Winter and Snow Cherries from France already had classical scores to them, and I just found them more emotionally powerful the first time around)
I did go and see Tori live this month...
Published on 12 Oct. 2012 by D. Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars Tori finds gold, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Gold Dust (Audio CD)
Gold dust show Tori continuing the rout down a classical direction by excellently re-imagining some of her most beloved song into a classical style with fantastic results :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - missing the surprise element nonetheless, 16 Dec. 2012
Naoum (Thessaloniki, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gold Dust (Audio CD)
This is an interesting idea combining the orchestra with the songs and creating a celebration album. I think Tori is definately getting ready for the 'Light Princess' musical project with National Theatre and I am expecting this as her next album. I was reading the reviews and tend to agree that the arrangements could have been made more provocative by challenging the listener to more alternative rather than classical interpretations like the introduction of Shattering Sea and the reinterpretation of Cruel during the Night of Hunters tour I had the privilage to watch in Oslo, Norway. All in all an excellent celebration album for her 20 years in music business as a solo recording artist. I am falling in love with anything Tori does anyway so... go figure!

Create, Tori, Create!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly disappointed, 27 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Gold Dust (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
As a huge huge fan of her stories , sonique shapes and her girls, I sadly have to admit that I am more than disappointed by the sellection of song which have already been recorded originally in classical or close to classical style. This is absolutely nothing new to hear, only a variation close to the originals. "Winter" is being "damaged" in this album that is lost all the culmination and charms, and this is only one example of what a waste of hope this album is. The rest of those girls really had only the slightes make-over and I personally love them in their pristine form :)
I am simply going to pretend that there was no new release from Tori Amos in 2012 and keep fingers crossed for the next album to be as brilliant as the previous ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb album, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Gold Dust (Audio CD)
I am always sceptical of compilation albums, which have minute changes/orchestral arrangements, but in this case we have a superb album.

The version of "Precious Things", is amazing, and in general I have found this album a real joy.

Being a devoted fan, having ALL of her albums, and having seen her live several times, I find this album simply wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Wonderful, 2 Oct. 2012
Tori, has never sounded better, and I have all of her stuff and have been listening to her since Little Earthquakes, an album i still have on my ipod all these years later. The song changes may be subtle, some not so, on this album but the sheer quality of her voice is at its very best on here.

I have rarely heard her capture this amount of emotion since her early numbers. I took a chance on this having been disappointed with some of Tori's output but this is a fantastic body of reworked material.

Dim the lights, sit back with your favourite tipple and listen; you will soon lose yourself in the syrupy quality of the vocal and the gorgeous orchestration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on old classics, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Gold Dust (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Apart from Star of Wonder, an album which brings older songs to life in a new way. A worthy experiment for Tori.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounds and vocals, 6 Nov. 2012
Matthew (Good old England) - See all my reviews
It's almost like listening to an updated Kate Bush. She has some very good ambient mellow sounds on this album. Only know Tori amos from her 'Corn flake girl' record to be honest. I like this album and will purchase it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goose bumps!, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Gold Dust (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
This album revisits many of Tori's more instrumental tracks as she works with a full orchestra. It has some wonderful moments where the original song (Precious Things is a great example) seems to grow more powerful and more beautiful as a result. My only reason for not giving this album five stars is that I feel she could have taken the songs even further; I wanted more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get some good speakers!, 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Gold Dust (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
A reviewer over on amazon.com said this album needs to be listened to at night and with headphones. For me, it sits alongside Kate Bush's 50 Words For Snow as one of those albums to be listened to when everything else is quiet, maybe snowing outside, it's just you and the music and you can let the instruments wash over you. It also stands out as an album that will stand the test of time.

The outstanding tracks for me are;
Flavour. The new arrangement brings out the spiritual depth of the song and has made me see it in a whole new light. I prefer this much, much more to the original.
Yes, Anastasia. There's no waiting for this to start, it hits you immediately. It's darker, more menacing and much more passionate. Definitely listen to this at full volume.
Cloud on my Tongue. I've never particularly liked this song but I love this version. I love how she builds and layers the `circles and circles' section.
Precious Things. This is creepier and edgier. There's so much emotional pain delivered by the orchestra.
Programmable Soda. Don't like the original but this version reminds me of the 1940s musicals. It's a lot of fun.
Silent All These Years. This was a sparse song with too many bad memories attached to it for me. It's now gentler and more caring. I can listen to it again.

I absolutely love this album and it gets better with more listens. Tori's voice sounds more tuneful and more powerful. The only song I would say I prefer the original is Star of Wonder, but it's only slight.

Just to give an idea for anyone reading this review, my favourite Tori albums are The Beekeeper, Boys for Pele and Midwinter Graces and my least favourite is Under The Pink and I hated Night of Hunters. So if you utterly disagree with that, you may utterly disagree with this review. And please remember these reviews reflect people's personal musical tastes and are not psychological profiles demonstrating how good a Tori Amos fan they are. I sometimes wonder with some of the insults that get thrown about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 8 Oct. 2012
For the 20 year anniversary Tori could have hashed out a re-mastered copy of Little Earthquakes and had done. I'm so glad she didn't. I was apprehensive at first, as the songs are not some of her 'heavier' songs such as 'Hotel' or 'Spark', however I was surprised at how good and how well this album flows.

The reworked Flavor (which was underrated on AATS in my opinion) is brilliant, the orchestra really brings this to life. Other songs on there really needed re-working and re-recording in my opinion, such as Winter, and Yes, Anastasia which benefited from the bold sound of the Metropole Orchestra.

Really surprised at how good 'Gold Dust' and Precious things turned out as I was doubtful they would be much different.

The vocals on this album are great. There is more vocal layering than in her last album. I personally think this gives the songs more of a multi-dimensional feel, especially 'Gold Dust'.

Glad I purchased this album.

Gold Dust (Deluxe)
Gold Dust (Deluxe) by Tori Amos (Audio CD - 2012)