Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 June 2013
After the somewhat mixed Poetry for the Poisioned; and then the loss of front man Roy Khan, the future seemed bleak for Kamelot. Enter new vocalist Tommy Karevik and a return to the concept album.

This is a really strong album. Karevik is not too far removed from Khan's vocals, but still is unique enough to lend his own spin to the band. The concept itself deals with the story of two brothers, who lose their sister to a tragic accident, and vow never to tell of what really happened that day. From that point, disaster strike the family down one by one.

The concept is bleak, but it is well presented. It deals with the ideals of guilt, shame, betrayal and redemption. The band are on fighting form; the guitars soar and scream, the keyboards are more of a focal point than ever, the drums pound and the orchestra add a real layer to the sound. It's the most "symphonic" of any Kamelot album by far. It's the sound of a band revived and inspired.

Favourite Tracks include lead single Sacrimony(Angel of Afterlife) and Veritas. Both feature duets; which add an extra layer to the already lush sounds.

Kamelot fans will find much to like, and even for people new to the band, they will find much to like.

It's very much a softer sound; there are no real "metal" parts in this album, so fans of the harsher sounds of Epica and the Black Halo may find this album lacking somewhat, but the atmosphere is so well constructed you hardly notice.

The special edition is well worth getting. The presentation box is good, and the instrumental version of the album adds a new spin to the concept. The book and poster are a nice touch as well.
on 30 October 2012
I first heard of Kamelot back around 2007 when I started getting into Metal bands that weren't Nightwish or Within Temptation. The first album I picked up was 'The Black Halo' which I loved half of and was rather indifferent to the other. I missed out on the 'Ghost Opera' album but saw them on the tour for it, which was a spectacular show but still didn't sell me on buying on the album. Then when I heard 'The Great Pandemonium' from their 2010 album 'Poetry for the Poisoned' I loved it, so bought the album but just couldn't get into, so I intended to follow Kamelot occasionally but didn't think I'd ever be a huge fan, meaning when I heard that Roy Khan had departed I didn't really care, but when I heard Tommy Karevik would be replacing him I checked out his band's (Seventh Wonder) music and I really liked his voice along with Silverthorn's lead single 'Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife)' which quickly climbed up to one of my most played tracks.

As I said, however, I was the same with the previous single, so I didn't expect much from this album but decided to pre-order the special edition just out of how much I loved Sacrimony, and I was surprised at just how much I fell in love with it. The intro sounds like it could have been lifted straight from an Epica album, and from there the album is filled with catchy hooks, stunning orchestrations, heavy riffs and brilliant vocals from new frontman, Tommy, and as much I love Simone Simons, I'm glad they chose Elize Ryd and Alissa White-Gluz to do the female vocals as they seem to fit the sound much better and give flawless performances.

I can't fault this album at all, which is not what I was expecting, therefore I can't recommend this album enough, especially the special edition which for a few extra quid gets you a digipak of the album, a bonus disc with the whole album in instrumental form plus two bonus tracks, a 44-page colour story book and a poster making the best special edition I've ever purchased. If Kamelot make another album like this I may just become a massive fan after all. A solid 5/5 from me.
on 27 November 2012
Such a strong album this - I like this one far more than there last (Poetry for the Poisoned).

I find their new singer Tommy as good, if not slightly better than Roy Kahn - And I personally prefer the sound of his voice more than Roy's (I feel Tommy has a better range).

The music is very good and Kamelot sounding, but with a difference though because they stated this is a 'concept album' but for me, it is far superior to most metal released recently and a massive contender for kamelots best work to date (for me).

My favourite song is probably 'Sacrimony' based on mainly the lyrics, but the sound is incredible too & with guest singer Elize Ryd, who sounds fantastic, just makes this song stand out above the others. But all their songs in this Album are fantastic. I love the incredible intensity, but incredibly sad sounding 'Song for Jolee' and I love the dark and light tones of 'Torn' - I love Torns chorus - just brilliant. And finally I have to mention 'Solitaire' for its musical strength.

The Boxset I bought is great with a hardback book containing the Story Of Silverthorn, theres also a large Poster, Another Disc with all the songs instrumental and obiously the main album disc within a booklet with lyrics to all songs and pictures of the band and guest singers.

Brilliant 5/5
on 17 November 2013
It's been a while since Kamelot released "Silverthorn", and returning to it now, I am reminded of why I loved it so much upon its release. Tommy is one of my favourite vocalists, totally spellbinding me with his work in Seventh Wonder (and to a lesser extent, Firecracker), and after a dip with their last two albums, finally Kamelot get back to what they do best here with "Silverthorn".

Now, the guitar tone is a little thin, and the album is pretty keyboard-heavy, but that's mainly to please the symphonic metal fans; what we have here is not a return to "The Fourth Legacy", or dare I say it, "The Black Halo", but at least Kamelot remember to put some power metal in there, especially during "Sacrimony" and the double kicked "Solitaire", the album's best tune by far.

The album certainly grows on you over time, and if you're new to Kamelot, this might just be the perfect introduction. Sure, we're all going to miss Roy Khan, but with Karevik on board, Kamelot are headed for the big time. Highly recommended.
on 1 January 2014
With the change of lead singer for the band, I was concerned that it would lose some of its balance and strength. I was a massive fan of Kahn's vocals. I could not have been more happily surprised. If anything it seems to have reinvigorated the band's efforts. The previous albums were always going to be a hard act to follow (like Nightwish's follow-up to "Once"), but the sound is different enough and yet familiar enough to be worth the listening time. If you're a Kamelot fan, you've already bought this. If you're not, then it isn't a bad album to start with. It is certainly more accessible to new listeners than their much earlier album "Epica", and not quite as dark as "Poetry for the Poisoned" or "Ghost Opera". Probably the strangest change is that the new vocalist has brought in a new element for the band's sound in the same way that Nightwish's switch from Tarja to Anette did for them.
on 8 November 2012
There have been so many duff releases in the Symphonic Metal genre this year, I didn't even buy this when it first came out. I though Ghost Opera was good but not somehow coherent and the last album was a bit average, but this....THIS is PROPER EPIC SYMPHONIC METAL.

Sacrimony is classic Kamelot, a fist pumping anthem in the mould of Center of the Universe, theres a great ballad My Confession, Falling Like Fahrenheit is more Epic, classic Kamelot and the final track Prodigal Son is the sort of track Tuomas used to write for Nightwish, rather than just record people reading Poetry for 10 minutes. Whilst there is a clear common style to probably all of their recent albums it doesn't sound dated, possibly because as an album its more tuneful than the last two. There's also a bit more guitar (and keyboard!) shredding, notably on tracks like Ashes to Ashes. You also get a really poppy sensibility on "My Confession" and "Falling Like Fahrenheit" which sounds not a little like female vocalist Elize's band, Amaranthe.

Tommy's voice? Well he sounds a lot like Khan, he doesn't have the vocal range (Only at the lower end really) but still sounds great.

This album is what the genre had been waiting for. There's nothing much wrong with it and I am sure it will grow. It proves bands can evolve and even change vocalists without having to mess about with their style like Nightwish and Sonata Arctica did recently. Ironically also, in a type of music mostly created and followed in Europe, here is an American band doing a pure Symphonic Metal album better than any of the Europeans.

I am giving it 5 stars even though I have only listened to it twice, I am confident I won't regret it!
on 10 January 2014
Received this item this day. I won't write a lot about the music, because the album was out for a considerable amount of time. In my opinion, this is one of the best Kamelot albums, along with Epica and Karma -- I don't like The Black Halo that much. That would be all about music, down to the items and packaging.

The box is nicely packed and easily opened. No complaints on this one. Inside the box you'll find: one mediabook with the actual CD, lyrics and few nice pics; bonus instrumental CD in separate package, another book with the full Silverthorn story (didn't read it yet, but looks nice), and the poster with all band members and "Kamelot - Silverthorn" written on the front. Poster is horizontal and is probably like A4x3 or A4x4, don't have time to measure it now. My biggest complaint is that the bonus CD isn't somehow included in the main book, but put in the box separately. Not really convenient. Oh, and poster is folded to the size of CD, so be ready to carefully iron it. The books itself are spot on, as is the box. Though comparing with mediabook of Ayreon - The Theory of Everything (latest digibook I've bought), the books are a bit bigger on the vertical scale. Doesn't really matter if you're going to keep them in the box, though.
on 29 October 2012
was dubious about buying this album after the dissapointing" Poetry For The Poisoned" and then Roy Khan leaving the band but bought it in the end not expecting much. But this album is a true return to form, the new singer is excellent a good replacement for Roy Khan and all the tracks are excellent
on 22 November 2012
Kamelot are back on form with their latest album Silverthorn. With more than a passing melodic referance to The Black Halo this album is beautiful and haunting but with plenty of gothic rock blended into the overall sound.

Silverthorn is a concept album about the accidental death of a child. New lead singer Tommy Karevik steps into the great Roy Kahn's shoes nicely with a voice that fits perfectly with Kamelots distinctive sound. The addition also of Elize Ryd of Amaranthe on the the album as a melodic foil to Tommy works perfectly.

Stand out tracks are the storming "Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife)" (feat. Elize Ryd & Alissa White-Gluzut)and the gentle and haunting "Song for Jolee". A strong album a must buy for all Kamelot fans and a great introduction for non Kamelot fans to the world of symphonic metal.Silverthorn
on 2 November 2012
I have been a huge fan of Kamelot for a while now but I was quite disappointed with 'Poetry For The Poisoned'. When I heard that Roy Khan was leaving I was upset, but on hearing that Tommy Karevik from Seventh Wonder (another favourite band) was to be the lead vocalist, I pre-ordered this album as soon as I could.

It's incredible. When I first heard The Black Halo I didn't think that could be topped. Then I found Ghost Opera. Now this. Sancrimony (Angel of Afterlife) and Ashes To Ashes are easily my favourite songs but I have yet to skip a single track on this album.

Definitely worth the buy!