on 22 December 2014
There is no information given that this adapter enables connectivity to FireWire 800 devices only snd that another adapter will be required to enable one to connect to a FireWire 400 device. Even then, a bus-powered device was not recognised.
on 21 January 2014
I really am loosing all confidence in Apple design these last couple of years. I have no idea why such a simple adapter has to be so bulky.

It really gets in the way because I also have a mini display port to VGA adapter in use with my laptop. This is right beside the thunderbolt port where I have this adapter connected. There is no room for the two adapters side by side, so one has to sit on top of the other. Very badly designed by Apple.
on 13 April 2016
Necessary evil to buy one of these when u have an older fw 800 audio interface or hd. The connection is flimsy. One accidental touch and it disconnects the interface, so be careful as fw devices dont like being messed with. Shoddy work from Apple.
on 27 February 2015
Upgraded to a Macbook Air - THEY DON'T HAVE FIREWIRE ANYMORE!!!!!!! Bloomin computer cost me two grand and now I need this adapter to get my external hard drive to work (good job I love you Apple!!).

This does the job perfectly. Nice snug fit. Saved me buying a new external hard drive.
on 19 January 2016
It works. I hate Firewire 800 - it was never my interface of choice - but this interface works well with my mac pro. No fuss, no bother, it just works.

Could be cheaper but... y'know... Apple.
on 20 February 2014
This adapter just works, allowing me to get more use out of my FireWire devices since an upgrade to a new Thunderbolt iMac. It is a bit pricy, but it works well and certainly at the time of purchase there was no alternative.
on 11 August 2013
As advertised, it is what it is. Bought to link a Mini DV to mac book pro, so bought with an adapter as well, which all works and does the trick, if a bit heath Robinson to look at!
on 21 February 2014
Works perfectly fine. Seems to be as fast as pure FireWire 800 was. Works with my 2012 iMac and 2013 MacBook Air to connect with my Drobo gen 2. No problems to speak of and hopefully will continue to work until I can upgrade all I/O to Thunderbolt or USB 3.0.
on 2 May 2015
Great product which serves me well. Just make sure not to catch it when in the Thunderbolt socket, as it disrupts my 'Reaper' recording software if you move it slightly. That is something Apple need to look at.
on 19 January 2013
Used it with a number of FW800 drives and works fine.

Slight problem is that the Thunderbolt end does not hold on very tight so is prone to slipping out.