Used this adaptor in conjunction with a FireWire 800 Cable, 9 pin to 4 pin, to connect an old Panasonic MiniDV NV-DS33 video camera to my iMac. Video's transfer easily with no problems.
Published 10 months ago by Boris

1.0 out of 5 stars Thunderbolt plug adapter.
This adapter works fine, Its a pity no one told me that it would damage the firewire port in my camera, if I connect it while the camera is turned on.
I now have two HD Video cameras with damaged fire wire outputs. thanks a lot guys.

After hotswapping my firewire leads in several camera's for years, I nover thought for a minute that this was likely.
Published on 18 Jan. 2013 by Videoman

1.0 out of 5 stars Thunderbolt plug adapter., 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for connecting a Panasonic MiniDV NV-DS33 video camera to my iMac via a Firewire 800, 9 pin to 4 pin cable.., 11 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Thunderbolt to FireWire, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
Had no problems with the product as of yet. The only bad thing I would say is that it is very short but this shouldn't be a problem as your FireWire cable is probably long enough anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Socket to me, 13 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
I love it simply because I can now read my old external hard drive. Unknown to me, I had the older version firewire and when I bought my new iMac it wouldn't connect without it. Mind you, it's bl88dy expensive for what it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars should be labelled better, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
I wasn't aware it was firewire 800, I needed a 400... so I had to buy an extra adapter. should have been labelled better in the seller description.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says and FW Daisy chain works fine., 19 Jan. 2013
Ian Turner "Ian" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
Used it with a number of FW800 drives and works fine.

Slight problem is that the Thunderbolt end does not hold on very tight so is prone to slipping out.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
As advertised, it is what it is. Bought to link a Mini DV to mac book pro, so bought with an adapter as well, which all works and does the trick, if a bit heath Robinson to look at!

4.0 out of 5 stars Apple MD464ZM/A Firewire (800) socket 9-pin to Thunderbolt plug, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
This adapter plug works well and I am now able to carry on transferring DV video from my camcorder to my computer. It is just a shame that it has to be as expensive as it is. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars slow connection, 25 Jun. 2014
Gary J. Hunter "Family Hunter" (Malta, EU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
works fine but in use with an external 1 TB hard drive I expected better transfer speeds. firewire 800 was always faster than USB2 for this device. USB2 connection is faster than firewire 800-to-thunderbolt.
In short, if you can use USB2 or USB3 to connect, do so. Do not bother with a firewire 800 converter to thunderbolt. Its too slow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but works under Windows 8.1 so happy :-), 26 April 2014
Ian Stark (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
No-one was able to answer the question of whether this would work under Windows 8.1 on an Asus laptop equipped with Thunderbolt but I was quite desperate for a super-quick solution so I gave it a go. And it works flawlessly (so far) without any set up trouble. I confess I hadn't read the description sufficiently to realise it was FW800 so I had to make an emergency last minute trip to Maplins to get a 800 to 400 cable (another £20), but on setting it all up and attaching a Canon XH-A1S video camera to it everything connected seamlessly and without any intervention or tweaking from me. It just worked. For anyone interested I am capturing using Sony Vegas Pro 13. Next challenge is to see if it will capture for up to an hour without dropping frames. Fingers crossed.

I'm a professional videographer with fifteen+ years experience of flaky firewire connectivity so my hopes were not particularly high, however I am delighted that I can continue to use this old camera as a capture device. It's sat in a box for two years and is probably unsellable now.

In my case the adapter has already paid for itself as yesterday I was asked to supply a third camera for a product launch event in 36 hours time. For a total outlay of fifty quid I am able to charge my client an additional amount many times more than my outlay. The alternative would have been to rent a third camera for several hundred, if I could get one at such short notice.

Next day delivery c/o Prime meant I ordered the adapter on the Friday afternoon and it arrived on the Saturday morning.

Despite all the good news, it's still rather expensive for what it is - but that's Apple for ya, and that's why I dropped a star :-)

Recommended.