5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (PC)
Published 20 months ago by M. Fowler

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading picture - OEM version only
The product picture for this item is misleading, I expected the full retail box version as shown, with accompanying documentation and instructions. Instead its just the OEM disk in a cardboard CD slip case, with no documentation at all except the product key on a slip of paper. Disappointing and misleading, no wonder its cheap, but it should be explained clearly why its...
Published 10 months ago by A. Farrar

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (PC), 31 Dec 2012
M. Fowler (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have been using Sony Vegas movie studio versions 6, 11 and now 12 for a number of years. This is a real upgrade from version 11. It is now a true 64 bit package for 64 bit Windows 7 operating system. The bundle is excellent and the features although not enhanced a terrific amount in the basic package from version 11, really does give excellent value for money. Where the improvement has been made is with the extra plug-ins now supplied. The new-blue titling package is brilliant although not easy to master at first as some of the feature settings are not obvious. There are so many variations of transition and text and font settings. It took me a while to find the enhanced multi-font credit scrolling feature in the new-blue plug-in. Until then I was using the standard Sony supplied credit roll version. A great enhancement to the basic version 11 is the GPU utilisation in the NVIDIA graphics and other matching video cards. This means that many of the video correction features employ your PC graphics card engine to speed up the processing.

What this product has over the competition is speed of operation and versatility. It is so quick to respond to any edit changes made, it is amazing. I doubt if any of the semi-pro competition has even half of the features this product has. There is no limit to the number of media tracks that can be added to the time line.

To add to all of the features and vast array of plug-ins buying the suite version, you get even more. It comes with ‘Sound Forge’ a powerful sound editor and DVD Architect a complex but good DVD/Blu-ray disc creator. In fact you get three programs. The video editor, sound editor and DVD creator.

In use, the whole package is very stable in the main. I had some teething problems trying to install some of the new-blue plug-ins. I contacted New-Blue and they were very quick to respond, less than 24 hours. They sent me a new package which worked immediatly. The mistake I made was to get the upgrades from Sony before I had installed the bonus disc containing the plug-ins.

My advice is to install everything first, then run each of the software packages to check for updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the upgrade, 28 Mar 2013
K. MAK - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I previously owned the version 10 of the Sony Movie Studio and loved it. Had no problem in dealing with 720p projects. Recently I was working with video project in 1080p at about 10 mins long in length. It uses over 1Gb in memory and because it's a 32bit, it crashes once it reached close to 2Gb. (I have a I5 PC with 6Gb ram). So I took the chance and ordered the version 12. Since after the upgrade, I noticed a big improvement in its performance as it's now running in 64 bit. Opening the same project that I previously created in version 10 uses a lot less memory (now using ~500k memory in compare to >1G when using version 10), so it improves the way how memory is handled.

Watching video in the preview screen is also a lot smoother, and better in quality (even set at the preview mode). It really helps when you are editing and need to concentrate on the small details in the movie.

This Platinum Suite version comes with a bonus disc that contains extra add-ons such as the NewBlueFX and Magic Bullet Quick Looks (I think it costs more buying them alone). These are very useful tools which allows you to apply effects on your videos with only a few clicks. The disc also contains lots of sound effects and sound tracks ready to be used.

A very powerful and effective video editing software. Happy with the upgrade!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very well specified non-pro editor, 17 April 2013
PhillyJQ (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Without going to something MUCH more expensive this is, undoubtedly one of the best editors around for editing & improving raw footage. It has many of the 'enhancements' that you would find in a good photo editing application. It doesn't have all the slick tricks (and useless as far as I'm concerned) like auto-assembling, wild distortions, & whatever. This is a solid performer that enables you to get the best look from your clips with sharpness, saturation, curves, contrast/brightness/gamma controls, & much more. I would've awarded Movie Studio 5-stars if it supplied, at least, a printed 'quick start' guide, but all you get is a manual on the DVD.

If you're serious about making films, then I would recommend Movie Studio 12 (or earlier, if you don't have Vista/Windows 7 installed). Serif's Movie Plus is similar with a host of correction tools for about the same price, but you can't download a trial edition (it only has a 30-day money-back guarantee) . As far as my needs are concerned, these two are way ahead of their competition, even Adobe's Premiere Elements (which presents real problems if you don't deactivate it before upgrading your computer -far worse than re-activating Windows!).

The one thing that none or these editors have is 'interpolation' software (like Kronos or Twixtor) to render smooth slow-motion by generating new frames between the existing frames. I'll be breaking down the door when some editing program incorporates this feature in their product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be the best video editing software at this time, 24 Nov 2013
C. M. Hicks (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Although I've only recently installed and started using this software, I've given it 5 stars because:

a) I did extensive research reading reviews, forums, magazines, talking to friends in the industry, and these generally pointed to SONY Movie Studio 12.
b) I've played about with video editing as an amateur for about 20 years.
c) I installed this software, tried capturing, editing, and rendering a small video and was basically astounded at the functions and features provided, and the quality of the (small test sample) result.
d) finally, the price. It really is a bargain. To get the best from the software I will buy a couple of books (I'm old fashioned, I prefer books), and these will cost way more than the software.

A few bad points that I'll mention (but not downrate the software because of them).
I tried to install Sony Movie Studio 12 on a computer with Windows XP. It wouldn't install and told me Windows Vista or 7 is required. The Amazon Description doesn't mention this, but fair enough, XP is old.
I installed it on a computer with Windows 8. It installed easily, no problem. Registered it online OK with SONY.
But when I tried to run the software it simply crashed immediately (offering to send crash report to SONY). Tried updating to latest version from SONY website, opened a Support Ticket with SONY -- still no reply from them after weeks -- and read all the SONY User Forums, etc; no good. Finally after searching the internet for an hour or two I spotted a casual comment that Movie Studio requires Quicktime. I installed latest version of Apple Quicktime, and now Movie Studio runs perfectly.

I've since checked the SONY packaging and all it says is that Quicktime is required if you want to import or export Quicktime files. I found Movie Studio will not run at all without current version of Quicktime. Just a pity it couldn't display a message on screen to tell me this, instead of simply crashing. (Most computers probably already have Quicktime, so not a problem).

User Forums frequently mention that SONY after Sales support is hopeless. But the internet compensates for this, so I don't care.

Movie Studio is powerful and complex and at first glance may scare away beginners. I cannot pretend it is instantly easy to use. But I find it much easier than Adobe Premier (which I have had for 5 years), and to start with you can ignore most of the filters and special effects and short cuts and clever functions (intended to save experts time). The package does include tutorials (which I haven't tried), there are lots of How To videos on YouTube, and my way is to buy a book and follow step-by-step guides to getting started.

I've checked SONY website which says I can install this software on more than one computer, for example my laptop and desktop PC.
An amazing piece of software at any price, but for just tens of pounds it is too good to be missed.

UPDATE: and a useful tip.
After a few months I have to report SONY Movie Studio has worked perfectly. Every time I wish it could do something, I look on the internet and find a note that explains I CAN do it with Movie Studio. Latest example is I wanted to tag various bits of video and audio, and have those tags (markers) remain with the clips as I move them around and edit. If you add Markers or Regions on the Timeline, they do not stay with the clip. But if you add them in the Trimmer, the markers are attached to the Clip. And even if you then separate the audio and video, both retain their labelled markers and regions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware GPU support, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I've previously owner version 11 of this and switched to 12 because of the native 64 bit support but lately I've discovered a very real problem with Sony Movie Studio products when it comes to the "support" provided in use of your systems GPU processing power.

The web is replete with complaints about getting the software to start on Windows 7 - 64 bit operating systems and resolving the issue requires considerably technical skill in using search engine keywords as much as understanding OS quirks. In the end my solution was found by reverting to an earlier version of amdocl64.dll thanks to a Youtube video (Keywords: Sony vegas 12 crash fix).

Frustrating as my card is supposedly supported and drivers at latest version but got there in the end.

As for the software itself, I love using it... There's a learning curve but it just makes editing relatively easy... Just wish the technical issues were not so all encompassing with very little support from Sony to resolve them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony video editing software at a fair price point., 16 May 2014
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
When I was looking for video editing software for my PC, I had a look for Sony Vegas (since I have had experience with it in the past), but I was astonished by the price of it. So, I had a look at some of the lower priced Sony video editing products and found Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum. It was a little over the amount of money I was looking to spend, so I thought about looking for the same software but one version older and I found this.

I really like this video editing software, it's quite simple to use after some experience and playing around and after you have used a piece of software like this, using a video editor such as Movie Maker or free alternatives just won't suffice. Some of the video effects are great and come in useful. It's also really handy to be able to put text over my video and mix the sound and video sources on different tracks when I need to.

I purchased this product sold and dispatched by Amazon. I received this product in full retail packaging (along with some red and blue shade paper 3D glasses) with registration serial numbers for:
- Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12
- Sony DVD Architect Studio 5.0
- Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0
- NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects
- iZotope Vocal Eraser
- Red Giant Magic Bullet Quick Looks

My operating system is Windows 8.1 Update 1, the software installed without a problem and is working completely fine. I have also run the software update from within the program to update to the latest version of Movie Studio Platinum 12.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Bought this as an replacement upgrade from version 10. A huge leap forward using 64bit and some extra nice FX. The only issue I have is that I cannot un-install version 10 which irritates me enormously, particularly as this version 12 opens all my old V10 projects with no issues at all, so 10 is no longer needed.

After much tedious searching FAQs Sony do provide detailed and complicated uninstall instructions that involve, among other things, editing the Registry!!!! Why they cannot provide an uninstall utility like every other software company beats me. Left an extremely sour taste with this software. I can only assume that removing version 12 could be an issue too.

The software is however great value for the price, particularly as you get a lot of bang for the buck. Shame about the inability to uninstall previous versions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great software, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I bought this as an eager amateur, hoping to use it to put together some of my footage taken from airshows among other things. It's easy to grasp and the tutorials within the program itself help a lot to new comers. I'm no pro when it comes to these things but I felt I managed to get a fairly polished video completed within a couple of hours. As with all these things though there's a learning curve, your second video will always out-do the first once you've learned of the new functionality.
I would have given 5 stars but I've some issues with it crashing when using the BlueFX Titler with it. Having spoken to support (Not Sony as it's an independent plug-in) it's down to some sort of compatibility error with a fix yet to be made, which is a bit of a disappointment.
Nevertheless this is a fantastic piece of video software, far superior to Windows Movie Maker for anyone who was wondering. Price is ideal too, not too expensive but importantly features operations that free video editing software doesn't have and doesn't have the expensive operations that 99% of us amateurs would never use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great :), 22 April 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
So I had the 2010 model of this and it didn't suit me very well, but this new 2012 model is very good coming with NewBlueFX effects and sound forge studio 10 and DVD architect 5.0, comes with a couple of other things as well, Most of all THIS DOES WORK ON WINODWS 8, runs fine on my model, make sure you do have a decent CPU and a decent amount of RAM though. Great for beginners or for people who know there way around this software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly fantastic, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Prior to buying this I was using the free movie maker software and frustrated by the limitations.

A huge plus is that it is a proper 64 bit programme and works perfectly with Windows 8.1. It is very similar to version 13 and unless touch screen operation is important to you the additional cost of 13 is hard to justify. I believe that it will also work in the 32 bit environment but if that's what you want an earlier version could suffice saving money. For this type of programme however 64 bit is the way to go and I bought a shiny new machine to go with it.

This is 3 bits of software in one. Movie studio is flawless. It does everything I want and my requirements are quite exacting. The multiple tracks mean that editing in noddies is a dawdle and you can play around with sound effects to your hearts content. This programme really is a joy to use. The on screen help could be better but there is plenty on info on the internet. This is basically the same programme as the professional version Sony Vegas. The features removed would probably never be wanted by anyone other than a professional.

The second bit is DVD Architect. That's for creating your DVDs or Blue Rays. I previously used the free DVD Styler for creating menu disks but his is so much better. You can even produce combined video and data discs with it and that is otherwise very difficult. Just brilliant.

The third part is Sound Forge Audio Studio. Previouisly I used the free Audacity, and guess what: I'm still using Audacity. Again Audio studio is a scaled down version of a professional version, but in this instance they have taken off vital features. Technically it is better than Audacity, but Audacity doe4s the job.

Even though the audio part is a let down the strength of the other two components still make it fantastic value for money and it integrates perfectly with Audacity. Just go into options- preferences- Audio and make Audacity the preferred audio editor.

Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC)
Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 (PC) by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista)