4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not really justified as a "new version" every year
Published on 20 Nov 2012 by Mark R

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is it so hard to register this product?
I purchased this product.
It has a number of different product codes, not one
satisfying the registration process.
I have yet to use the product.
Published 22 months ago by Frederick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not really justified as a "new version" every year, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Product is exactly as expected, (I owned v10 and v11) I didn't see a great speed improvement as reported in reviews which is why I wanted to update - even though I have a reasonably powerful Nvidia GTX 670 card a decent speed PC 12GB memory and 64bit etc. Editing playback is a little better but not much. It's a great editor but very frustrating to have to buy a new major version every year just to continue to get bug fixes and a few extras.

Sony really are running a trick with Vegas - they basically freeze updating last year's version every year then bugs only get fixed in the "new" major version. Sounds OK until you realise every year they and simply put in 1 or 2 extra features or improved bits and whack up the version number to a major version. Most companies would call it a minor update version number.

They should own up and just make it a subscription update service - it is effectively this.

I wouldn't mind if they said OK pay half price and upgrade last years to this, but also their own upgrade prices are ridiculously more expensive than simply buying it new from Amazon (every year I check it carefully always the same :( ).

5.0 out of 5 stars At this price the 64-bit version is worth the upgrade, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I upgraded from version 11 to 12 in the middle of editing an hour long holiday video. I had earlier trialled v12 and felt its improvements were too slight to make upgrading worthwhile. However the relative slowness of v11 compared with V12-64bit in running the preview screen and v11's tendency to use nearly all the Windows 32-bit maximum memory persuaded me to upgrade. I did not regret it as the preview certainly was less irritating (I have a CUDA-enabled Nvidia card as required by Movie Maker for the increase in speed) and the availability of all my computer's 8GB memory allayed fears of crashing. However, I also found the small tweaks on the interface made editing faster and less prone to silly mistakes. I particularly liked the highlighting of the active clip and the repositioning of the hotspots on the clip when some of the clip was hidden beyond the edge of the main window. I also liked that on reopening a project the zoom position was as I had left it rather than being reset to minimum. I have experienced no crashes and certainly feel the upgrade was worthwhile for the quite small sum of £35. This is first class software more than worth the price for any home videographer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb value for money, but not for beginners, 7 Jan 2013
Richard Hawkes (Orpington, Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This is a really really classy application. Having used Adobe Premire Pro a few years back, it's hard to justify spending that much money when this is around.

There is so much you can do with this application. But with that comes a All I would say is that it's not hugely intuitive. I consider myself a "techie" so I always hope to be able to work something out relatively quickly. That isn't always possible. That said, there is a chunky manual that comes with it, so as long as you prepare yourself and take it slowly, you'll be fine.

My other major gripe is that timeline manipulation is very fiddly. I can't seem to get to the right point without mouse movement. If I've got an hour long movie to mess around with, cutting the right chunk out of the middle is somewhat of an art. Maybe I'll get better.

But all-in-all this is just the right app if Windows Movie Maker or some of the other weaker offerings aren't really cutting it for you. I can testify that the 64-bit version is considerably faster than the 32-bit version (I originally used the 32-bit version by mistake). I also see an improvement if you choose to use the PC's graphics card for rendering (I use CUDA).

Basically, I would download the trial version from the website and try it out for 30 days. Personally, this was a no-brainer for me once the trial expired. What is slightly odd is that it's cheaper on Amazon than it is to download from Sony. So watch out for that if you are considering the trial.

Nice work Sony. There's not much they do that I don't love, TV's, Cameras, Playstations, and now software. A corporate giant you may be, but I tip my hat when you produce products like this for such a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product - if you are prepared to spend time with it, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
After using Vegas Movie studio 10 I bought Movie Studio 12 as a 64 bit program. The interface is friendly and if you are used to the previous editions, it is easy to come to grips with the new one. It is faster than the 32bit program, but it also freezes when the memory is depleted. With 8 GB Ram the limit would be about 30 clips and 20 mins of video at a time. A point of criticism is the hassle to stabilize a video. Previously it was straight forward - just right-click on the event in the time-line. Now the procedure has changed - you have to add a 'media fx' process to the clip itself. It requirs more clicks than before. My greatest frustration was the fact that it made a mess of interlaced videos like the m2t videos from DV handicams. In stead of stabilizing a video, it created an earthquake effect. However, I think I have solved the problem: Right-click on the exe file and tick compatibility - I made it compatible with Windows 7. Now it works - at least as well as previous versions did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comments, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
The software is somewhat confusing and difficult to learn but gives good results once it has been mastered. I would prefer to have the disk preparation software within the main program rather than as a separate application in Architect Studio. I would also prefer to have the operating instructions in book form rather than as program to print off but all software suppliers seem to have gone down this path in recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars back again, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Used this for quite a time then decided to 'swap' to Premiere Elements 11..for no good reason really.

Within one week I sold the Premiere rubbish off, and re-purchased this again...no competition really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant value for money, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Ive been doing video editing for a while now using various different software including Avid and Premier Pro. I bought this because I ran the demo version and it worked faster and easier for me than Premier ever has. I was surprised by the level of functionality this software provides for such a price, that included: good effects/colour editing, ASIO audio, plugins, ease of use, GPU rendering and more. I havent found any problems so far. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Software, Low Price., 17 April 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Movie Studio is excellent software, very easy to learn and the results are very, very good. As others have said, version 12 isn't really worth the upgrade if you were happy with version 11, but for newcomers it's very easy to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC)., 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Had a few hiccups with the program to start with but more or less sorted now! With it working in 64 bits it is a lot faster editing video than I found using Pinnacle Studio V15. But Pinnacle only worked in 32bit. Big difference!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 8 Jun 2013
Mr. Neil Ives "Oldog" (Malvern UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
This software needs a certain amount of learning; (it's not for complete dummies) but it is powerful. I had previously used a copy of Sonys Vegas Pro and the Sony Movie Studio has pretty much the same interface so I was fairly quickly up and running. No problems so far. using a Quad Core, Windows 8, 64 bit system. Excellent price from Amazon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC)
Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum 12 (PC) by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista)