5.0 out of 5 stars These girls will show you what real music is all about!
Published on 17 Nov. 2012 by beretta

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring
Music is ok, but on full listening to CD doesn't seem as different / interesting as first impression.
Published 3 months ago by tam

5.0 out of 5 stars These girls will show you what real music is all about!, 17 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
I don't write many music reviews as everyone has different tastes and I don't like to preach about what is good and not good music...BUT, I will say that this is on of the best albums that I have ever heard, it has just blown me away. I have never heard such gorgeous music and from such young girls too! They may have a very odd name but don't let that put you off, oh, and they don't sound Swedish ether and nether do they sound like ABBA, which IMO is a really good thing!!
If you like Americana crossed with a little 60s American folk (think mamas and papas) and want to hear something miles better that the garbage they call chart music and want to regain your faith after the years of muck churned out by the likes of the X factor and such then buy this album (and their others) you will thank me for it...Honest!
Best thing to come out of Sweden since er...ABBA!

4.0 out of 5 stars A definate grower, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (MP3 Download)
Really don't know what category you can put them in ? Folk/Country ? But the vocal harmonies are exceptional and Emmylou and the title track are absolutely superb compositions.Obviously with albums some tracks hit home more than others but this enjoyable album really was an expected pleasure and surprise, having not heard of First Aid Kit before.Well worth a punt and download for the extremely generous price.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Aid Kit - Sisters are doing it for themselves, 3 Jun. 2013
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
Once upon a time two sisters walked into a Swedish forest, one with a guitar the other looking painfully young at the age of 16 and they both sang a song. The tune in question was a spine tingling cover of Fleet Foxes "Tiger mountain peasant song" and the sisters posted a video of it on the internet. It turned into a quiet and persistent sensation having been viewed well over 2 million times. The sisters in question were Johanna Söderberg and Klara Söderberg and their band is First Aid Kit. Happily suspending the fact that they are from Sweden they produce the type of Americana which is heartfelt and passionate, Their debut album 2010s "Big Black & The Blue" was a showcase for their brilliant voices although it was if truth be told a tad downbeat, lacking in variety in some parts and the echoes of Robin Pecknold's Seattle wonders were everywhere.

On their latest album "The Lions Roar" there is a clear and determined attempt made to rock things up and give a bigger sound. The bittersweet harmonies remain firmly in place but better songs with fuller production are everywhere plus growing signs that the sisters can write a fine set of lyrics. They recently reduced Patti Smith to a tearful wreck with a stirring version of her "Dancing Barefoot", yet it is to that other female giant of music that this albums finest song is dedicated. "Emmylou" name checks the romance of Harris with her true love Gram Parsons, plus June Carter with the Man in Black. It could easily be clichéd and trite but instead it is a splendid country concoction and possibly the finest thing the sisters have done. There must be composers in Nashville thinking that a monster has been created in Stockholm that can out countrify them in every respect. The opening title track equally sees the sisters drawing from Dylan and Cash with considerable aplomb, harmonies to die for and a melody drawn from the ages in a powerful alt country ballad. Indeed the opening three songs which conclude with the "In the hearts of men" a song Neko Case would have mortgaged her house to write sees First Aid Kit barely putting a foot wrong. Further musical peaks arrive in the form of the beautiful ringing gentle ballad "Blue" (not a Joni Mitchell cover) and the wonders of the rolling "To a poet" which certainly has a Fleet Foxes tinge and is frankly all the better for it. A step change comes when the sisters truly cut loose on the last track with a rollicking hoedown entitled "King of the world". This reviewer was idly speculating that the Felice brothers who have sadly lost their mojo of late should produce a song of this quality when by happy accident some of them turn up with Conor Oberst to sing backing vocals. This serendipity is actually rather obvious when you hear this joyous song jam packed with handclaps, violins, accordions and horns (one can only hope that Ian Felice has exercised his demons since the troubling "Celebration Florida"). Finally a doff of the cap to the gorgeous strummed lament "New Years Eve" which is solid proof that First Aid Kit are maturing into an act as classy as a pair of Jimmy Choo's. Please seek this song out you will adore it.

"The Lion's Roar" is the sound of a band rapidly maturing at light speed with a talent well beyond their years. Listen to their first EP "Drunken Trees" and chart the scale of the journey to this new LP and the size of the musical leap. It's all quite remarkable and in the context of the evolving story of the Söderberg's we should warmly welcome the fact that "sisters are doing it for themselves".

4.0 out of 5 stars Lions Roar by First Aid Kit, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
I have been interested in First Aid Kit since I saw them perform in Sept 2012 at the End Of The Road festival where they put over a very accomplished set to a large, enthusiastic audience. There are some good tracks on this CD but their voices can grate after a while. For my money their CD, The Big Black and the Blue is better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pop, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
Came across this by accident after hearing a track in a cafe. Technology enabled me to point my phone and be informed within seconds that it was First Aid Kit. After checking out a couple of YouTube videos I ordered the CD and have not been disappointed at all. This is one of those albums you can play from end to end especially in the car and enjoyably anticipate almost every track. The vocal harmonies are probably the most attractive features but the musicanship, catchy melodies and production all combine to create a stand-out album. If you enjoy pop at its finest and have an eclectic taste (pop, country, folk at least) then you will certainly love this album. Looking forward to hearing the rest of their output.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable!, 19 Dec. 2012
A very fine CD.

Americana? Pop? Folk? Country? Who cares. Lovely harmony from Swedish sisters, with good instrumental backing - restrained and never overwhelming the vocals.

One piece of advice. For some reason there appear to be 10 and 11 track versions - make sure you get the 11 track one. The so-called 'bonus' track (Wolf) is one of their finest.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bright Future, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
Some magic,some not. But excellent overall. If they can keep this standard up they will have a great future in the music business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should experience this.., 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
I cannot rant enough about how important I think this album is.. Admittedly I had never truly listened to folk before this, and I could not think of a better album to introduce me to the genre. Every single song on this album blows me away, there isn't a single dip in quality. Every track is unique and explores different themes and emotions. I don't think there has ever been another album that has affected me like this... of course I like albums made by the bands I like, but that's because I like the band and assume they can do no wrong. This was just a huge eye-opener for me that there a lots of different genres out there, and I definitely found a good one I love these girls, and this album is just the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
I bought this after seeing this duo perform at Glastonbury....... (on tv.... I didn't go!).... I am still playing this over and over in my car! It is a fantastic album and I love every track, but especially the title track, The Lions Roar, Emmylou and Wolf. Their harmonies are amazing. Essentially I suppose it is country music, which is really not my thing, and had I not seen them perform, I would never have bought this....... but it is such a lovely selection of tunes that I feel like forcing everyone to listen to it! I am definitely going to buy at least 1 of their past albums now, and I hope they get more air play and recognition. Possibly the best album I have bought for a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class !, 16 July 2013
This review is from: The Lion's Roar (Audio CD)
I couldn't agree more ! i don't like to preach either,BUT this is the best album i've heard in the last ten years ! the last album that gripped me like this was Radioheads In Rainbows.never has an album ended in it's entirety without skipping a track,then i go back to the beginning,then for a third time ! the harmonies,melodies,simplistic production and arrangements blow you away literally. it makes you all gooey inside and want to cry with euphoric happiness.every song is a gem and i play it non stop ! a must must must for music lovers.best act to come out of Sweden since you know who ?

The Lion's Roar
The Lion's Roar by First Aid Kit (Audio CD - 2012)