5.0 out of 5 stars What's in the box?
You really don't need another review about the film itself - it is what it is. I saw it on Boxing Day 1967 and I've seen it a few times since - this new presentation is the first time I've sat down and really enjoyed it completely. This new boxed version is as definitive as it is ever likely to be.

So what's in the box? Well, there is no CD of the music, but...
Published on 8 Oct 2012 by James B. Spink

3.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but not so goldie
Its a very good work of restoration, but the film is boring.
The best still its the musical clips. This justificate the purchase.
Published 21 months ago by Gregorio Rosenchtejer

5.0 out of 5 stars What's in the box?, 8 Oct 2012
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

So what's in the box? Well, there is no CD of the music, but you do get a near exact replica of the 7" EP package that originally contained the music from the film that was released at the time. There was no 12" album for the UK market then, but the EP pack had a book, which is reproduced here, and contains song lyrics and story cartoon.

This new package also has its own 10" book with over 50 pages of information, pictures and credits on every aspect of the Magical Mystery Tour and along with the bonus features on the disc may help you to make some sense of the whole thing!

Both the Blu-ray disc and DVD are included here and appear to have identical contents, but the DVD is in region-free NTSC format, not PAL as stated in the Product description. There is a good selection of Bonus Material included, some of which was featured in the BBC Arena programme, but also much more besides. The film itself appears to have been cropped from a 4:3 aspect ratio to fit the widescreen format although the many outtakes, and Paul's commentary version, are shown in the original 4:3. If you caught it on the BBC showing that is what you get here as the main feature on both discs.

Finally included is a ticket for the Magical Mystery Tour itself - but I suspect the bus has sadly already left! I am very pleased with this presentation and glad I pre-ordered as the price has now rocketed! I give it five stars - but only at the price I paid. If you have no means of playing vinyl, or are not really a Beatles collector, you may be better off with just the DVD or Blu-ray version of the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavens above, I really rather enjoyed it!, 30 Oct 2012
Had an hour to kill, and just watched MMT. Expecting to feel like switching off after ten minutes but surprised to find I actually rather liked it. Being just an hour long was a real plus, it kept things tighter than they might have been had they had a two hour long film to make. I loved John's surreal voiceover sounding slightly speeded up (apt!) and it all hung together much better than I had expected it to. It was fun, it had some great songs in it, there were a few nice Milliganesque moments, and all in all it was all rather jolly. Time has actually been kind to it. I think we have got used to seeing in retrospect a lot of the early to mid-`60s surreal stuff Milligan, Sellers and Sykes did, and because Python came along after MMT (and it has to be said partly due to MMT) and other silly stuff like Little Britain, AbFab etc, we are more used to letting our belief be suspended and sit back while people get silly for our amusement.
My preconceptions were based on what I saw in 1967 in B & W (and what I had anticipated that Boxing Day of 1967, it has to be said!) and a few brief bits I've watched since. But put all together as a complete breezy 60 minutes of British Comic Pop Surreality of the `60s, it had some good moments...The surreal bits worked well, the funny bits were actually amusing, and the songs sounded great (remixed and remastered by Giles Martin). The things I found plain daft before, like the magicians' scenes, this time made me smile affectionately, and John's occasional bits of acting were actually very nice. He appeared less than the others, some scenes not featuring him at all, even some of the group scenes, so maybe he was off having a quick blast during some of the filming. His little scene with Nichola on the bus with the balloon was really cute, John had a lovely way about him and one could see why people were fond of him for all his faults.

And the one thing I expected to be appalling, the editing, was rather good and tight too. Scenes moved from and into each other very smoothly. And in a 1967 psychedelic kind of way, it all even made sense. I feel quite elated actually. I was expecting a trudge up Boredom hill, and found I was inhabiting Jollity Farm instead. And yes, Death Cab For Cutie is fab.

My `67 Rating: 2 out of 5
My 2012 Rating: 4 out of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR DELUXE BOX SET (2012), 10 Oct 2012
As a serious Beatles collector for over twenty-five years, I've been waiting for a vinyl re-issue of the Magical Mystery Tour 7" vinyl EP set for a very long time. It is has finally been re-issued as part of this deluxe collector's box set. However, it has lost its wrap-around flaps where the disks were slid in from the top. The new EP re-issue has open ends where the disks are inserted from the sides (like a double lp). Having said that, everything in this set oozes quality. It really is a beautiful item... Well worth £29.99!! It is worth buying this boxed set just to get the EP set just like I did. The picture quality on the blu ray is stunning. The large book is also an amazing!! Magical Mystery Tour (Box Set) [Blu-ray & DVD] [2012]

4.0 out of 5 stars The hidden tracks, 16 Oct 2012
I've read those reviews about that edition and nobody talks about the hidden tracks... "Fish and Ship Shop", "Missing Dining Room Scene", "Magic Alex sings Walls of Jericho" and "Jessie's Blues". I know that they are hidden but you can find them by clicking on the pink star, on the left side of "play film", on the green star and on the right side of "audio options", all on the main menu!!! I'm not a Beatles fan but I love that box set!!! Each euro that I spent...

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BUS HOME, 28 July 2013
This is a great DVD starring The Beatles,it had everything songs,fun,laughter and good banter.This DVD is a good addition to any serious music collectors,it is of high quality and good value for money,I'd highly recommend it to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but not so goldie, 24 Jan 2013
Its a very good work of restoration, but the film is boring.
The best still its the musical clips. This justificate the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete new lease of life, 3 Nov 2012
C. S. Grant (London & Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magical Mystery Tour [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Magical Mystery TourThis is my third version of the film, having previously bought a VHS cassette, the US DVD, which was very poor quality and now finally this wonderful Blu-Ray disc. The main action is the feature film itself. The picture is very sharp, more so than ever before. The 5:1 surround sound for the soundtrack and all brilliant tracks are obviously marvelous. Considering what Giles Martin did with the Love 5:1 "mix" album and this, I wouldn't be surprised if the next step for Apple is to release the 1968 and post albums in surround sound. That would probably be the best comparison to the mono set. Anyway back to MMT! The Director's Commentary by Paul is okay for one viewing, I won't watch it again. The same could be said for Ringo, however being a much shorter piece, I will probably watch that again one of these years! Hello Goodbye from Top of the Pops, is not what I'd thought it would be, as there were videos made for this song. This is actually a bit boring. What I did particularly enjoy was I'm Going In A Field by Ivor Cutler, wonderfully weird and an all time favourite of mine, Traffic's, Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush. I had no idea of any connection between this song and MMT, but here it is in surround sound too. All in all there's plenty here and as I say, you don't have to watch all of the features continuously but the main film itself is a marvelous piece of its time, spiced up to the 21st century, with quality production values.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roll up, roll up, 2 Nov 2012
Finally a blu-ray release for The Beatles' film Magical Mystery Tour which benefits greatly from enhanced picture quality & sound.

The movie itself is very hit & miss telling the story of the Fab Four's day out on a coach in which basically not a great deal happens.

MMT is now viewed as a piece of (very) experimental sixties movie work (although it was panned back in the day as it was shown on Boxing Day 1967 on BBC2 in black & white) but it does also show how lost they were following the death of manager Brian Epstien as he would probably have made sure this didn't see the light of day,but of course the music is fantastic and the Walrus clip is one that stays in the memory long after the rest of the film has been forgotten.

Overall though if you are a Beatles fan this version is a vast improvement (quality wise) on previous VHS & DVD releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Music Tour, 1 Nov 2012
Anthony Coy (NOTTINGHAM, Notts, GB) - See all my reviews
The restoration is very good considering it came from 16mm film. The film itself is still cringing awful. This package is worth it for the replica double EP and the wonderful songs in surround sound. They still sound fresh and relevant or today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magical Mystery Tour deluxe boxed set, 26 Dec 2012
As with everything that has been re-released by Apple, the packaging is fabulous. The content of the DVD/Blu-Ray is also faultless. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the double-vinyl EP booklet replica. It is not a replica, though for anyone who has not owned/seen the original, I daresay they are very pleased with it. A few years back I obtained the Beatles in Mono CD album collection - these reproduced the original albums right down to the very last detail, including inserts, original labels and inner sleeves - everything! They are superb. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the aforementioned Magical Mystery Tour EP release. I think production-wise corners have been cut, and I just don't think this would have been allowed to happen had Neil Aspinall still been at the helm of Apple. The irritating differences from the original are as follows:
The size of the square package has been reduced by a centimetre all round.
The EP pouches on the inside of the front and back covers have been replaced by plain open ends, like a regular double album sleeve.
The Parlophone record labels are smaller, they are grey rather than black, and wording including publishers and publishing dates, cataloguing numbers and manufacturing details have been updated.
The booklet is glued rather than stapled, and most irritatingly the inner strip measuring 2 centimetres of the back page is glued down to the equivalent inside edge of the back cover.
Lastly, and unbelievably, also on the inner back cover, the original wording 'THE BEATLES in Songs and Music from a Colour Television Film called 'MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR' has the word Colour spelt the American way 'Color'. Pretty ironic considering this package was not released in the USA!
Maybe this is nit-picking, but we have come to expect flawless (if expensive!) product from Apple in their re-packaged releases and this is not, as advertised, a true replica - it is an approximation, and therefore not of the faultless high quality that Aspinall was so passionate and insistant on maintaining.

Magical Mystery Tour [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]