5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by poor-range reviews....
Published 21 months ago by M. Calvert

1.0 out of 5 stars Marmite
Having previously owned, and enjoyed using another one of these for 18 months before dropping it, I never hesitated to purchase another... albeit from a different seller.
Unfortunatly, the new one arrived defective!

Charging "Red" light went off after 1 minute... No way to know when it was fully charged.
After several hours of charging, I then...
Published on 22 July 2012 by Mr. John Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by poor-range reviews...., 12 Dec 2012
M. Calvert (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't normally write reviews of my purchases, preferring to leave them until I feel I can be really useful in a specific way, and I think I can do that with this product, especially for anyone who has, or is thinking of purchasing this for use with a Raspberry Pi, or anyone else who is concerned about potential issues with RF range, and the problems some people seem to be having with this remote control.

There are a 'lot' of poor reviews of this remote purely down to issues with poor RF range. I can confirm that 'out-of-the-box', and used as instructed, there are often issues with the little receiving unit not being capable of picking up a good quality signal. I have experienced this myself, and thought I'd bought something that was almost unusable in my intended way, to control my Pi from a decent distance across the room.

I can tell anyone that has had this issue, or is worried about this issue enough to warrant not buying the product, that using the small USB receiving unit on the end of a short USB extension cable will solve all issues that anyone is having with limited RF range. I bought a cheap-as-chips A-male to A-female USB extension cable, for literally 'pennies', and it's solved all my range issues at a stroke. There seems to be some issues with poorly screened PCB boards, of which the Pi seems to be guilty of, and the simple method of moving the USB RF receiver away from the circuit board solves any range issues at once. I can only presume that anyone having similar issues in other flavours of media-centres or other PC's are having similar issues that can be solved with the same method.

In terms of raw numbers, before the USB receiver was moved from the Pi my range was limited to about 1m, and it was fairly erratic even at just the 1m range. After putting the USB receiver on the end of my short USB extension cable, I can still have excellent RF control at the 5m range, which is at the limits of my room. It may work well beyond that, and there's no reason to think that it shouldn't, but the change in range and accuracy of the mouse-pad movement was dramatically better as soon as I began using the extension cable.

I wanted to put this solution here to help anyone already having this issue, but also to help stop people being put off from buying this absolutely superb product if this one issue was the reason for that. It's a brilliant remote, especially for the Pi, and for the sake of spending another quid on a short extension then it should continue to be seen as the great product that it is.

I hope this review is useful, and that it can help people out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with MacOSX (with a tweak), 4 May 2014
A Cactus "Andy Cactus" (NW UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rii 174; Mini 2.4GHz Wireless PC Keyboard (Version Built-in Lecture Laser Pointer and Backlight Function with a Handheld Keypad; Support Window 7 / Vista / XP / 2000) (Electronics)
For those wanting MacOSX details, see later notes in my review. Generally pleased with this. Looked for a while for such a device giving more extensive access to keyboard shortcuts, mouse functions, OS navigation and a little data entry etc in a small portable unit for teaching. Previously used a bluetooth keyboard and a mouse but was not such a good solution in a big lecture theatre. Saw this at an Adafruit supplier but at a much higher cost so finding it here 30% less I thought it worth a try. It can also double its keep as a discreet media controller (Raspberry Pi etc) but beware of unsupervised living room use because of the laser. Don't leave it lying around with young children. The keyboard is backlit which is good for both lecture theatre and I guess home theatre. Its not bright enough to be noticed in daylight and unfortunately not particularly even spread of white light either when viewed in the dark, for a few keys the characters are barely readable.

The inclusion of the red laser pointer indicates the target market, those giving presentations (Keynote, PowerPoint etc). Instructions stating that this laser does not come on if the keyboard power is switch is off are just plain wrong. The laser comes on whatever the power switch position, charging or not charging. This could be the cause of unwanted power drain in a bag or pocket as well as a safety issue. The power and wavelength are not stated anywhere and is easily activated by a light press of a side button.

My first charge did not seem to last long a couple of hours of experimenting and only a little use of the laser. The top LED flashes near depletion. Maybe I need to leave it charging longer. Charging LED is red at first progressing to orange later. Details of the battery are not clear beyond Lithium-ion Battery. The capacity is unknown at this point. A user replaceable set of AAAs would be better. The unit has 6 tiny PH0 crosshead screws, so dismantling should be straightforward enough.

Remote connection range has not been a problem in lecture theatres I have tried but this is a radio device and locations can vary I imagine. The USB receiver dongle is the typical tiny stubby item thats easily lost. Thankfully it is either in your computer or it can be stored in the mini keyboard but annoyingly this has to be done with another bit of dumb plastic to make it fit the storage hole in the keyboard. Someone missed a design meeting.

Thats the general remarks so on to the MacOSX findings which are thin on the ground from the supplier.
The issue many MacOSX users want to know will it work with their setup as no mention of that OS is made in the specifications or instruction manual.

I can confirm I have it working in 10.9.x with a few tips to make it a smoother experience.

Assuming you are charged and the little receiver shoved in a USB port the OS tries to identify the keyboard type With a wizard (which will not succeed), but do not worry, just get through to the screen where you choose Japanese, European or US keyboard. Choose US. If you choose European the ~` (tilde forward single quote) will be the one key not mapped correctly. This can be redone via "change keyboard type..." button that appears on subsequent connections in Keyboard prefs.

For Windows common shortcuts use ctrl key which is easy on this keyboard eg cut ctrl-x, copy ctrl-c and paste ctrl-v and so on.

MacOSX users will want know about getting to the Apple key (command key, ⌘ Gorgon loop) for the equivalents cut ⌘x, copy ⌘c and paste ⌘v. By default out of the box ⌘ maps straight to the "Win" key which is unfortunate as it is a "Blue" feature accessed by pressing both Fn + ctrl. This is awkward and in fact does not work for OSX as it turns out. So do this:

Go to keyboard preferences (in system prefs) and look at the top for "select keyboard" and hopefully see that "2.4GHz receiver" is available in a list. You can remap modifiers just for remote keyboard without effecting any other keyboard. My suggestion is this: you swap just two:
Control (^) Key: to ⌘ Command
Command (⌘) Key: to (^) Control
(see my screen shot in customer pictures). That's it. Now cut copy paste or anything works more easily by pressing Ctrl on its own with the key you want.

I managed then to do everything I normally do with a normal keyboard. There will be some combinations that won't work where you need ^ and Command together but those are much rarer than those using ⌘ or shift-⌘.

Only other notable is The Fn key on the remote keyboard does not map to fn in MacOSX. so triggering dictation (fn fn) will not happen.

Amazingly the media control blue functions on the F3 to F8 keys map to media control in MacOSX (which are on different keys). So sound control, movie, slide show start etc work via those.

The small touch pad area 32x33mm works just like a single point touch pad whose x-y orientation can be rotated 90 degrees for holding the control lengthways. Overly sensitive perhaps to interpreting an initial touch as a mouse click (double touch?).

[UPDATE: If receiver is plugged into this hub I just got Inateck Bus-Powered USB 3.0 Hub then the trackpad does not work nor do the media keys. Kind of odd. Works if removed and directly put in same laptop. Tried a Logitech K400 which is a full sized wireless and thats OK]

Bizarrely discovered two finger side-swipes work as a scroll up and down just enough room for this. Forget any other multi-touch. Underneath is right and left mouse click buttons and cursor keys which double as page up and down with Fn.

Worth a punt in the end and the English on the packaging is the funniest I have seen for a while including such gems as: "Allows you to be more human", "Meet the golden section of the mini size", "The instructor must have the best weapon"

5.0 out of 5 stars Openelec/xbmc works out of the box, 11 Dec 2012
brilliant. just plug the usb receiver and that s it...works i love it. i can youtube on the tv using a proper keyboard and touchpad

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good quality-price ratio!, 13 April 2012
Crunchy Tech (Here and there) - See all my reviews
Amazingly good quality-price ratio for real! 4.5/5

Was using it now for two days quite many hours, browsing internet, watching movies and playing songs from sofa - no problems at all. At least with the unit I got is model number RT-MWK01+ ([...])

Props:
+ driverless usage! No drivers needed with Windows 7 64-bit, Mac Lion, XP SP3 -tested.
+ well responsive connection (tested from 3-4 meters of PC) and very nice feeling buttons + well responsive touchpad (obviously not as smooth as nowadays GorillaGlass whatever but hey look at its price)
+ keyboard has all characters needed really (pound and dollar signs are there but not euro tho. F1 - F8 with 1-click F9 - F12 with holding FN button)
+ Fn+enter is Ctrl-Alt-Del nice shortcut :)
+ charging via mini-USB cable (got it charged in my car while driving from post office to home :)
+ very lightweight like 100g or similar, comfy to hold
+ RF receiver possible to carry within remote device, very handy
+ sturdy design really. Ok plastic used feels cheap but somehow well put together!
+ indicator for wireless connection, caps lock and battery.
+ back light is dimming itself when device not in use for a while, and the RF connection too (power saver)
+ On/Off button separately
+ Fn+touchpad = scrolling wheel
+ combo of Ctrl and + or - signs works just fine for zooming web pages (with Chrome browser at least)

Cons:
- no dedicated Win -button (it's via Fn)
- RF connection has an odd issue and it's because of holding left forefinger on a top left corner of the device -probably wireless receiver is in that area. Have to keep finger off top left corner then no probs.
- USB port is open to dust and trash to get in

Suggestion to Rii --> enhance browsing-from-sofa experience :) make some dedicated keys to improve on using ZOOM functions in browsers and windows explorer.. like Win key, or right side Ctrl key, or even separate scrolling wheel or FN button on a top of device to be able to use it more with one hand!
You know not everyone can afford big screens, all students has 19"-24" inches screens and you have to zoom every new page and also when searching for files in operating system.
- Horizontal scrolling function with touchpad -AGAIN you need it because you are sometimes zoomed into web page to see it better from your sofa.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little gadget, but not a direct replacement for a standard keyboard, 29 April 2014
rich20 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I watch movies on my laptop I hook it up to my TV, and also when I play simple games. I needed an affordable keyboard which also had a mouse built in.

I bought the 2010 edition with high hopes and I wasn't disappointed.

PROS
+ I plugged it into my MacBook and it's plug-and-play which is very useful.
+ Test range was between 6ft and 10ft, no issues. Unit prefers to be visible to receiver, didn't work too well when view was obstructed between device and receiver.
+ Impressive touch pad. Once you've adjusted the sensitivity of the track speed on your computer/laptop it's nice to use. What's more is that you can adjust the track direction so that you can use the device horizontally (typing mode) or vertically (presentation mode).
+ Backlight keys. So far I've not had to use this feature but I've not seen this feature on other cheaper keyboards.
+ The size is convenient - small enough to take up small space during travel but big enough not to cause mistyping.
+ PRICE. This is a major plus for me. A wireless keyboard with built in track pad, built in laser point AND includes a charger? There doesn't seem to lack much quality so it's great value for money.

CONS
- There's no keys that will let you use the native Mac CMD button which is a little frustrating if you're used to using shortcuts. So far not been able to "add as a new keyboard" as the Mac wizard requires you to press the RIGHT-SHIFT which this device does not have.
- The space bar can be a little finicky. Unless you press it directly in the centre it may not register the button press.
- Key layout is like a grid rather than staggered like a regular QWERTY keyboard. I find that I can't touch type on this keyboard, but this isn't a major setback as I understand that they have to cram all the keys in to make the device as small as possible.
- The keyboard is nice to use in small bursts, such as searching for YouTube videos and films in your directory, but repetitive use does cause aching very quickly. I tried using this to send emails/IMs and I found myself going to a standard keyboard after 30 minutes.

In summary, if you're looking for an affordable keyboard for use with a PC based media centre then this is a good buy. If you're looking for a more permenant keyboard solution I would recommend getting a full sized keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mini wireless keyboard for smart TV, 5 Mar 2013
Bought this mini keyboard to use with my samsung smart tv, as the samsung controller arrow keys and pointer are very very tedious when trying to browse the web.
Works absolutely great, small USB receiver plugs into USB port on TV, and the keypad and micro mouse pad work great.
compared to buying a bulky `normal` wireless keyboard, to use for web browsing with a smart TV, this is a much smaller, neater option.
Delivered fast, and well packaged.

1.0 out of 5 stars Marmite, 22 July 2012
Mr. John Adams (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Unfortunatly, the new one arrived defective!

After several hours of charging, I then proceeded to use it, and found that an Orange light flickered with every keystroke.. Caps lock light also flickered when in use... Trackpad had a mind of its own and went up instead of down, or sideways... no matter if I used it Horizontal or vertical.

Trying to type would only bring up a contextual menue from the toolbar?????
Using Shift key would turn the white battery level light on... And would only turn off when I clicked the Space Bar.

Typing at times would show no Letters and would freeze the cursor until I clicked again on the Space Bar.

Yes, as others have stated... The "Instruction" booklet is a complete joke, littered with spelling mistakes and over use of commas..!
Nowhere does it mention the time to initialy charge the battery... but does say Overcharging will deteriate the life of the battery!!!!

Indeed, it is not UK friendly and you have to work out which 2 keys to use together in order to type certain things.. ie, @ and £ and ; and : and #.. amongst others.
But when you get used to what to press, then its just another small learning curve and you get used to that way of using it.

I thoroughly enjoyed using my last one, and it worked just perfect... and it is like Marmite, you either love this keyboard or you will hate it... I loved it, thats why I purchased another!

Just a pity that this one was defective and the company will not offer a replacement, only a Refund through Amazon, so thats roughly 4 weeks before the refund is made!
Ive now ordered another from another seller, so fingers crossed that arrives in a Fit for purpose state!

<<<<<<<<<<<<< Edit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>...

The new one I purchased from another seller - Loftek Technological Co. LLC, is just as bad... it works, sometimes, but very badly!
Im a little concerned that the company I bought this one from, has now changed its name from GREEN SUNSHINE LTD to NowAdvisorUK - Is this to avoid the bad publicity from selling inferior units, having being named in these Reviews?

Having read further online about these units, I see there are a few badly made imitations doing the rounds.... so its a case of Buyer BEWARE!!!!
Yeah, indeed there are a few people that are lucky to receive fully working units, and who are very happy with them, as I was with my original one.... but to me that sounds a little like Russian Roulette.... so please be warned before purchasing

If you get one that works, they are very good... but what is the percentage of those that do work, with those that just dont, or work badly?... this is a very bad issue here, where we, the end user, are having to gamble on whether we receive a working unit or not, and seeing the companys change thier names to avoid being labled as the ones that sell the bad units, then that alone should underline any concerns you may have before deciding to purchase these units eh?... why else would these companys change thier names?

3.0 out of 5 stars Some issues, but serviceable otherwise., 5 May 2014
I use this as a TV remote for my PC/TV. The transmitter is IR - so it needs a direct line of sight from transmitter to receiver. I duct-taped the receiver with a USB extension to the top of the television so it's only just visible.

The back light is handy for movie night and the keyboard is actually really nice. Very much like a blackberry keyboard and has some of the function keys that are often missing off mini-keyboards.

The issue I run into is the 'thumb pad'. If you're hand is behind it, it interferes with the response on the pad. Sometimes confusing your thumb. The best way to use it I've found is either length ways, so my thumb extends up onto the pad but my hand is lower. Or to hold it sideways and use a single finger instead. The thumb pads accuracy is still questionable with the single finger and so if you need precise mouse movements DO NOT go for this.

It also comes with a laser, which is useless for my purposes but hell it's fun. Point at stuff! The battery lasts forever and I have had to charge it once since getting it months ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Compact, 23 April 2014
This is a good little device when minimal mouse & keyboard control is required, I'd actually thought this was bigger - probably about the size of a laptop keyboard - but that is my mistake. Its about the size of a TV remote control. But I love that compactness! Cat toy, erm, I mean Laser pointer works well. A small charge from a USB port keeps it powered for several weeks. Only issue is the touchpad (mouse) control is not very sensitive - I have to make big finger swipes to move it a little on the screen.

I use this as a way of controlling video output on a laptop connected to a TV that is primarily used for playing films from XBMC or TV programs on BBC iPlayer etc.. For that minimal use, this is an excellent mini wireless keyboard & mouse to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Working well on my Raspberry Pi, 15 Jun 2012
M. Stewart - See all my reviews
I bought this specifically to use with a Raspberry Pi so I didn't want anything expensive or big. This is working with raspbmc out of the box and it is the size of a standard remote control. Very handy.