The Universe versus Alex Woods
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£5.99

Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I almost didn't read this book. Something about the blurb put me off, 'So when, aged seventeen, Alex is stopped at Dover customs with 113 grams of marijuana, an urn full of ashes on the passenger seat, and an entire nation in uproar, he's fairly sure he's done the right thing . . .' It sounded a bit too clever for it own good, a novel that would be all style with little substance. When it was selected for as a Waterstones 11 title, I put prejudice aside. My assumptions could not have been more wrong. This book has so much substance, it had me sobbing my heart out.

I should have known it was coming; the clue is in the urn of ashes, but the tone for the opening half of the novel is light and playful. Alex Woods is a social misfit, a slightly geeky modern teenager. After he is knocked unconscious by a meteorite he finds himself a minor celebrity. Worse his head injury causes him to suffer from epilepsy. Many things conspire against him to make him the school pariah.

Bullying inevitably ensues. After fleeing his persecutors Alex finds himself in the back garden of the daunting Mr Peterson. Despite an initial mistrust, Alex and Peterson, strike up an unlikely friendship, brought together by a love of Kurt Vonnegut.

Alex is an astute and entertaining chronicler, though much of the humour lies in the things he misunderstands. He is very much a modern Adrian Mole.The book is laugh out loud funny in places, and Alex a wholly likeable character, especially for those of a geeky disposition. Though mostly very different, this book has a number of similarities with Jo Walton's terrific coming of age novel, Among Others. Both contain eloquent and intelligent social misfits, both pay great tribute to the power of libraries and both narrators owe much to the central philosophies of seminal works of science fiction. (Though it should be stressed neither book requires a love of Sci Fi to be enjoyed).

We know from the outset that Isaac Peterson is going to die. Alex's account of his friends decline, is naive, compassionate and oddly life-affirming. Through his conversations with Isaac and exploring the works of Vonnegut, Alex builds his own moral code. Isaac becomes a father figure (Alex's own father has been forever absent) which makes what comes next all the more devastating. By making Alex such a logical and methodical thinker, Gavin Extence makes the difficult and potentially unpalatable direction his novel takes, seem not only inevitable, but also wholly acceptable to any right thinking person.

Without spoiling things it's hard to say just how good Alex Woods Vs the Universe is. It's quirky and amusing. It's a humanist meditation on the fragility of existence. It stresses the importance of thinking about our actions and not going with the flow. It will make you want to read Vonnegut, even if you didn't quite get it the first time. Above all it's a novel about love and the strength it gives you to make difficult decisions. This novel has had a profound affect on me and I can't recommend it enough.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is Gavin Extence's debut novel. And what a talent he clearly is.

In his own words Gavin likes books that "deals with big issues in a funny way"; 'The Universe Versus Alex Woods' is certainly that. It's acclaim in and around book clubs and literary houses should be enough to get you to read this, out of intrigue if anything else.

The book is narrated by Alex Woods, a fictional adolescent nerd. Mostly it seems Alex is an innocent bystander in his own affairs and his disposition is that of stark rationality, symptomatic of his scientific background. A chance event leads him off down the deterministic route of life. Ultimately the book is deigned to lead towards the logical and scientific interpretation of a classical moral dilemma. But along the way Gavin (Alex) flirts with a smorgasbord of subject matters juxtaposing astronomically out-of-this-world objects with bluntly humane and intricate relationships here on this planet.

At times exciting and for the most part highly amusing, 'The Universe Versus Alex Woords' is a quirky coming of age story that delves into determinism, eternalism and the universe. Alex's honest narrative is meticulously detailed and regularly provides insightful wisdom that will have you underlining and highlighting. Whilst (unrealistically) his wisdom significantly surpasses his age the insights of this book are plentiful and affecting.

I don't want to give much of the plot away as it does develop into a neat little page-turner, but the real excellence of this books stems from it's anthropological insight. A book that, if you give it a chance, will reaffirm your faith in human nature.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What I most like about this book is the unpredicability of it all. At the start you are not even sure what sort of book it is going to be - a mystery? a comedy? To be honest I don't think it would easily fit into any pigeonhole easily, though maybe the comparisons to Mark Haddon give the best indication of the feel of it.

One of the appealing aspects of the book, which reminded me a little bit of James Finney Boylan's The Planets, is that extraordinary things happen to the main character but he takes them in his stride. All together I found this to be a charming book which is very hard to put aside.

As a book based on strange twists and events it is hard to say too much without spoiling the surprises, but it really is a book worth reading if you like books that are just a bit askew.
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must say that debut books that I have taken a chance with on Vine have usually turned out to be duds. This one is a real exception and could easily be a star of 2013. Not easy to talk about it though without giving away too much of the story and as a reader you would definitely be best served by not knowing in advance what direction this tale is taking.

Alex Woods goes from age 12 to age 17 during the course of this story. He's a geeky sort of lad to whom extraordinary things happen right from the outset but because this is written in the first person it is Alex's voice that remains remarkable throughout the entire 346 pages. He speaks and thinks in a deadpan style which is humorous, partly because at his age he is learning everything for the first time and he explains it to us in elaborate way that is very amusing, but also because Alex is such a serious minded and moral sort of chap that he seems at odds with everyone else. Even his own mother describes him as a "puritan" !

Alex is one of life's outsiders for reasons I won't reveal but his quiet determination to do what he feels is right in every situation and hang the consequences is both touching and thought provoking. I found it hard to imagine how the author could create a story so unusual and yet at the same time manage to keep it pitch perfect right to the end. Its a brilliant achievement and what happens to Alex, or more to the point what Alex causes to happen, will I'm sure be viewed by readers in many different ways.

In the gentlest of ways this novel asks us to consider several aspects of the lives we lead and how we deal with death but, for me, it was mainly about what we can achieve if we live our lives in a manner that remains true to our moral values. This makes the book sound preachy but it is never that.

I think Gavin Extence may have a real hit on his hands here and I would certainly encourage any reader to spend some time inside the world of Alex Wood. Oh, and get ready to dust off your old Kurt Vonnegut paperbacks. Highly recommended.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought this was a terrific book. It is funny, thoughtful, touching and profound in its way, and I found it utterly engrossing as a story. It is hard to give any account of the plot without giving away more that I would have liked to know before I started, but it is narrated by Alex, a serious, studious seventeen-year-old. He forms an unlikely friendship which leads him in a very unexpected and challenging direction - which sounds thoroughly corny, sentimental and cliché-ed, and isn't any of those things. It is an engaging, funny and touching story with some important things to say.

Alex has a fantastically well-realised narrative voice, with very penetrating observations to make about lots of things, all of which are deadpan and as a result are often funny as well as being very shrewd. For example, of his mother, a clairvoyant, he says: "...my mother revealed that she'd foreseen the entire catastrophe. Of course, she didn't realise that she'd foreseen the entire catastrophe until after it had happened." There are many examples of this sort of thing, and I loved it. I found echoes of Mark Haddon's The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime in Alex's voice, which is high praise indeed. Other characters are very believable and beautifully portrayed, and all have their own very distinctive and recognisable traits and voices. The story is excellently structured and paced, and I found myself utterly bound up in this book and it eventually hijacked my day because I couldn't bear not to finish it.

This is one of the best and most memorable books I have read for some time - very warmly recommended indeed.
on 9 October 2013
Amazon have asked for my opinion, but I think I've previously left a comment on someone else's review, so this is brief. I am in my mid- 70's and have read thousands of novels. This book I would rate in my personal Top Ten of all time reads. By about page 4 I was laughing out loud - the story developed to cover such an amazing range of emotions and I found the characters totally rounded and believable. If I were able to give it 10 stars, I would. Hurry up with another, please, Mr Extence.
on 21 February 2013
From the opening pages you cannot help liking Alex. He is innocent & naive, but wise & perceptive at the same time.The author generates humour from a sad & emotional storyline. A thoroughly enjoyable & thought provoking read. Loved it.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is such a touching, captivating story with a wonderful narrative voice in Alex. What a marvellous debut novel - it's funny, brave, sad and original. Gavin Extence doesn't shy away from handling sensitive, difficult subjects and he does it thoughtfully, with honesty and humour.

The opening is set up to make us wonder at what has gone before, because we meet seventeen-year-old Alex on his way back into the UK, being stopped at Dover by a customs officer who finds some interesting items in Alex's car, namely 113 grams of marijuana and the ashes of his closest friend, Mr Peterson. Alex then takes us back, recounting the significant and often highly unusual events of his life to date, ultimately looping nicely back at the end of the novel to how he came to be in his present unusual situation. This structure, the bookending of the novel with the present day, and the past sandwiched inbetween, makes the read into a pleasing whole.

Alex has never known his father, and his mother has a somewhat unorthodox career as a clairvoyant, running a shop selling all manner of fortune telling type goods and offering her fortune telling services there. As Alex relates his past, we discover that he suffered an injury in a bizarre accident - struck on the head by a meteorite after it hit his home several years earlier. He has to learn to live with the medical after-effects of this, suffering seizures, and the occurrence also prompts an interest in neurology.

We learn of the cruelty of school bullies singling out Alex for all his differences, and we witness the unlikely yet firm friendship that is formed between Alex and lonely, widowed Vietnam veteran Isaac Peterson, leading to them sharing their love of books; reading has helped Alex in the past, he tells us that when he was physically restricted he could at least allow his brain to explore; there are several literary references such as to Catch 22, but once he meets Mr Peterson, it is primarily Kurt Vonnegut's novels that are discussed (I haven't read them, and it didn't affect my enjoyment, but if you are acquainted with them and/or like them, it will probably increase yours). Their companionship is at the core of the novel, and the bond that grows between them is charming and through it Alex learns that `what you think you know about a person is only a fraction of the story.' They were both lonely in their own ways before they got to know one another, and they each bring a great deal of enjoyment into the life of the other. The journey the two of them embark on is very brave and moving, but you must discover the details of this yourself by reading the book.

Alex has a keen grasp of scientific matters and is very intelligent and really thinks things through, making informed decisions, however sometimes he seems naïve and inexperienced too, and then we remember that he is a teenaged boy, and that despite his maturity and the wisdom he shows, he is still learning about the world and about people. I liked the friendship between Alex and Ellie, and some of the dialogue is really witty and pitch perfect for the characters involved. Another use of language I loved was the description of the `death rattles' of the school bus; `it would wheeze and shudder like a giant asthmatic cyborg.'

This is such an involving, enjoyable tale, with a likeable, distinctive young man as the hero. Once I was drawn into the story, I was reluctant to stop reading until I had heard Alex's entire tale. It's one of those engaging books that you don't want to end, and where the narrator is utterly convincing; rather than feeling as though I was reading the author's words through Alex, I felt I was reading Alex's story - as a character he became very real. This book will have you thinking about life and death, about luck and fate, and it reminded me of the enjoyment of reading.

I'll leave the last word to Alex; `I think that telling a story is a way of trying to make life's complexity more comprehensible. It's a way of trying to separate order from chaos, patterns from pandemonium.'
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The book begins with seventeen year old Alex's arrest at Dover for bringing cannabis, albeit a small amount, into the country. Whilst in detention Alex relates his story, which is unusual to say the least.

Alex is an intelligent, articulate, geeky boy, living alone with is mother. Among his interests are astronomy, Kurt Vonnegut and the Deeper Meaning of Life.....the usual boy things, right? Well no, not really for a boy of his tender years. As a young child Alex is struck on the head by a meteorite which crashes through the roof of his house. Now how many people can say that has happened to them? Falling out of a tree and breaking an arm or leg, maybe, but being struck by a meteorite? Certainly unusual.

Told from Alex's point of view in a matter of fact, deadpan way, his story manages to be profound, sad and occasionally quite funny. At times the humour didn't work for me, but on the whole this is an interesting and unusual read. I'm honestly not sure if I actually enjoyed the book....it was certainly different, but somehow I couldn't help thinking about other books which strike me as similar.....Mark Haddon's "Curious Incident......." being one. I don't want to be unfair about this book as I read it in a bit of a rush, but I'll probably go back to this in a year or so and read it more slowly in the hope I get more out of it.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first impressions of this book were not favourable. Early on I read that the titular hero was a 17 year old teenager who suffers from epileptic fits. There is nothing too wrong with that until you consider that the fits started after he was struck on the head by a meteorite that crashed through the roof of his house. Just the sort of thing that happens every day, of course. The alarm bells rang even louder when I learnt that his mum earns a living reading tarot cards and runs one of those strange other-worldly shops that abound in Glastonbury. It was all shaping up to be like the sort of story that crops up every so often on kids TV, and I kept imagining Danni Harmer reading the book and wondering if there might be a part for her when it was serialised on CBBC. I stuck with it though and was soon won over by the story of Alex Woods, who is slightly geeky but possesses a good heart and a lovely nature. True, the vast majority of the book, which cover his difficulties at school and his growing friendship with Mr Peterson, a grumpy American war veteran, seems to be aimed at a late teenage readership but it is still a rewarding read for all ages.

Whilst this is essentially a light hearted book the last part changes the pace of the story and darkens the tone considerably, as it goes into a taboo area and in doing so provides the reader with much food for thought.

An highly entertaining read.