5.0 out of 5 stars We are all made of stars
Published 17 months ago by Quicksilver

3.0 out of 5 stars A better second half
I found the first half of this book laborious. However the second half was touching, warm and discussed a major ethical issue in an intelligent sensitive manner.
Published 10 months ago by vee

5.0 out of 5 stars We are all made of stars, 20 Feb 2013
Quicksilver (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I almost didn't read this book. Something about the blurb put me off, 'So when, aged seventeen, Alex is stopped at Dover customs with 113 grams of marijuana, an urn full of ashes on the passenger seat, and an entire nation in uproar, he's fairly sure he's done the right thing . . .' It sounded a bit too clever for it own good, a novel that would be all style with little substance. When it was selected for as a Waterstones 11 title, I put prejudice aside. My assumptions could not have been more wrong. This book has so much substance, it had me sobbing my heart out.

I should have known it was coming; the clue is in the urn of ashes, but the tone for the opening half of the novel is light and playful. Alex Woods is a social misfit, a slightly geeky modern teenager. After he is knocked unconscious by a meteorite he finds himself a minor celebrity. Worse his head injury causes him to suffer from epilepsy. Many things conspire against him to make him the school pariah.

Bullying inevitably ensues. After fleeing his persecutors Alex finds himself in the back garden of the daunting Mr Peterson. Despite an initial mistrust, Alex and Peterson, strike up an unlikely friendship, brought together by a love of Kurt Vonnegut.

Alex is an astute and entertaining chronicler, though much of the humour lies in the things he misunderstands. He is very much a modern Adrian Mole.The book is laugh out loud funny in places, and Alex a wholly likeable character, especially for those of a geeky disposition. Though mostly very different, this book has a number of similarities with Jo Walton's terrific coming of age novel, Among Others. Both contain eloquent and intelligent social misfits, both pay great tribute to the power of libraries and both narrators owe much to the central philosophies of seminal works of science fiction. (Though it should be stressed neither book requires a love of Sci Fi to be enjoyed).

We know from the outset that Isaac Peterson is going to die. Alex's account of his friends decline, is naive, compassionate and oddly life-affirming. Through his conversations with Isaac and exploring the works of Vonnegut, Alex builds his own moral code. Isaac becomes a father figure (Alex's own father has been forever absent) which makes what comes next all the more devastating. By making Alex such a logical and methodical thinker, Gavin Extence makes the difficult and potentially unpalatable direction his novel takes, seem not only inevitable, but also wholly acceptable to any right thinking person.

Without spoiling things it's hard to say just how good Alex Woods Vs the Universe is. It's quirky and amusing. It's a humanist meditation on the fragility of existence. It stresses the importance of thinking about our actions and not going with the flow. It will make you want to read Vonnegut, even if you didn't quite get it the first time. Above all it's a novel about love and the strength it gives you to make difficult decisions. This novel has had a profound affect on me and I can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A series of pleasant surprises, 17 Feb 2013
A. Skudder (Crawley, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What I most like about this book is the unpredicability of it all. At the start you are not even sure what sort of book it is going to be - a mystery? a comedy? To be honest I don't think it would easily fit into any pigeonhole easily, though maybe the comparisons to Mark Haddon give the best indication of the feel of it.

One of the appealing aspects of the book, which reminded me a little bit of James Finney Boylan's The Planets, is that extraordinary things happen to the main character but he takes them in his stride. All together I found this to be a charming book which is very hard to put aside.

As a book based on strange twists and events it is hard to say too much without spoiling the surprises, but it really is a book worth reading if you like books that are just a bit askew.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to treasure, 7 Nov 2012
C. Bones "surreyman" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must say that debut books that I have taken a chance with on Vine have usually turned out to be duds. This one is a real exception and could easily be a star of 2013. Not easy to talk about it though without giving away too much of the story and as a reader you would definitely be best served by not knowing in advance what direction this tale is taking.

Alex Woods goes from age 12 to age 17 during the course of this story. He's a geeky sort of lad to whom extraordinary things happen right from the outset but because this is written in the first person it is Alex's voice that remains remarkable throughout the entire 346 pages. He speaks and thinks in a deadpan style which is humorous, partly because at his age he is learning everything for the first time and he explains it to us in elaborate way that is very amusing, but also because Alex is such a serious minded and moral sort of chap that he seems at odds with everyone else. Even his own mother describes him as a "puritan" !

Alex is one of life's outsiders for reasons I won't reveal but his quiet determination to do what he feels is right in every situation and hang the consequences is both touching and thought provoking. I found it hard to imagine how the author could create a story so unusual and yet at the same time manage to keep it pitch perfect right to the end. Its a brilliant achievement and what happens to Alex, or more to the point what Alex causes to happen, will I'm sure be viewed by readers in many different ways.

In the gentlest of ways this novel asks us to consider several aspects of the lives we lead and how we deal with death but, for me, it was mainly about what we can achieve if we live our lives in a manner that remains true to our moral values. This makes the book sound preachy but it is never that.

I think Gavin Extence may have a real hit on his hands here and I would certainly encourage any reader to spend some time inside the world of Alex Wood. Oh, and get ready to dust off your old Kurt Vonnegut paperbacks. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling!, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Universe versus Alex Woods (Kindle Edition)
This unusual book really surprised me with the quality of writing, a great plot and some lovely, very varied but believable characters. It is intelligent and informative without speaking down to those readers who don't know much about the scientific facts -that just added to the interest. Despite the fact that the ending is sort of inevitable, I had to keep on reading. My Kindle was almost out of battery, but thankfully I made it to the last page. It's the kind of book which demands a second reading at least. The general wackiness has echoes of Adrian Mole, though I'm not sure why. A very satisfying read. I look forward to this author's next novel with interest, though it will be difficult for him to better this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, 25 Jan 2013
Jood (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book begins with seventeen year old Alex's arrest at Dover for bringing cannabis, albeit a small amount, into the country. Whilst in detention Alex relates his story, which is unusual to say the least.

Alex is an intelligent, articulate, geeky boy, living alone with is mother. Among his interests are astronomy, Kurt Vonnegut and the Deeper Meaning of Life.....the usual boy things, right? Well no, not really for a boy of his tender years. As a young child Alex is struck on the head by a meteorite which crashes through the roof of his house. Now how many people can say that has happened to them? Falling out of a tree and breaking an arm or leg, maybe, but being struck by a meteorite? Certainly unusual.

Told from Alex's point of view in a matter of fact, deadpan way, his story manages to be profound, sad and occasionally quite funny. At times the humour didn't work for me, but on the whole this is an interesting and unusual read. I'm honestly not sure if I actually enjoyed the book....it was certainly different, but somehow I couldn't help thinking about other books which strike me as similar.....Mark Haddon's "Curious Incident......." being one. I don't want to be unfair about this book as I read it in a bit of a rush, but I'll probably go back to this in a year or so and read it more slowly in the hope I get more out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful novel, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Universe versus Alex Woods (Kindle Edition)
From the opening pages you cannot help liking Alex. He is innocent & naive, but wise & perceptive at the same time.The author generates humour from a sad & emotional storyline. A thoroughly enjoyable & thought provoking read. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book, 3 Jan 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this was a terrific book. It is funny, thoughtful, touching and profound in its way, and I found it utterly engrossing as a story. It is hard to give any account of the plot without giving away more that I would have liked to know before I started, but it is narrated by Alex, a serious, studious seventeen-year-old. He forms an unlikely friendship which leads him in a very unexpected and challenging direction - which sounds thoroughly corny, sentimental and cliché-ed, and isn't any of those things. It is an engaging, funny and touching story with some important things to say.

Alex has a fantastically well-realised narrative voice, with very penetrating observations to make about lots of things, all of which are deadpan and as a result are often funny as well as being very shrewd. For example, of his mother, a clairvoyant, he says: "...my mother revealed that she'd foreseen the entire catastrophe. Of course, she didn't realise that she'd foreseen the entire catastrophe until after it had happened." There are many examples of this sort of thing, and I loved it. I found echoes of Mark Haddon's The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime in Alex's voice, which is high praise indeed. Other characters are very believable and beautifully portrayed, and all have their own very distinctive and recognisable traits and voices. The story is excellently structured and paced, and I found myself utterly bound up in this book and it eventually hijacked my day because I couldn't bear not to finish it.

This is one of the best and most memorable books I have read for some time - very warmly recommended indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Ten, 9 Oct 2013
Amazon have asked for my opinion, but I think I've previously left a comment on someone else's review, so this is brief. I am in my mid- 70's and have read thousands of novels. This book I would rate in my personal Top Ten of all time reads. By about page 4 I was laughing out loud - the story developed to cover such an amazing range of emotions and I found the characters totally rounded and believable. If I were able to give it 10 stars, I would. Hurry up with another, please, Mr Extence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blunt Rationality, 19 Nov 2013
Adam Finn (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Universe versus Alex Woods (Kindle Edition)
This is Gavin Extence's debut novel. And what a talent he clearly is.

In his own words Gavin likes books that "deals with big issues in a funny way"; 'The Universe Versus Alex Woods' is certainly that. It's acclaim in and around book clubs and literary houses should be enough to get you to read this, out of intrigue if anything else.

The book is narrated by Alex Woods, a fictional adolescent nerd. Mostly it seems Alex is an innocent bystander in his own affairs and his disposition is that of stark rationality, symptomatic of his scientific background. A chance event leads him off down the deterministic route of life. Ultimately the book is deigned to lead towards the logical and scientific interpretation of a classical moral dilemma. But along the way Gavin (Alex) flirts with a smorgasbord of subject matters juxtaposing astronomically out-of-this-world objects with bluntly humane and intricate relationships here on this planet.

At times exciting and for the most part highly amusing, 'The Universe Versus Alex Woords' is a quirky coming of age story that delves into determinism, eternalism and the universe. Alex's honest narrative is meticulously detailed and regularly provides insightful wisdom that will have you underlining and highlighting. Whilst (unrealistically) his wisdom significantly surpasses his age the insights of this book are plentiful and affecting.

I don't want to give much of the plot away as it does develop into a neat little page-turner, but the real excellence of this books stems from it's anthropological insight. A book that, if you give it a chance, will reaffirm your faith in human nature.

3.0 out of 5 stars A better second half, 22 Sep 2013