5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic motherboard
This motherboard is fantastic. Plenty of external ports. There's more than enough USB ports provided.

Published 20 months ago by Jaz

2.0 out of 5 stars noisey??
has an intermittent whistle noise coming from it, it's so rare I could not send it back because it may not happen again? is it faulty, yes, could I prove it?? Be careful
Published 4 months ago by Matthew

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic motherboard, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: ASUS 90-MIBJK0-G0EAY0MZ - Asus M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard (Accessory)

The manual is brilliant and extremely useful. While building my PC, I was reading the manual the whole time. It goes above and beyond what you should believe required from a motherboard manual. Not only does it explain where everything is, there's an entire section on actually connecting each of your components. There's some stuff that barely even relates to the motherboard except for connecting a wire. But more information is still provided. And believe me, it saved me a lot of time. As a new PC builder(I've never built a PC before), I found the manual extremely extremely useful. It provided so much information I completely ditched my original idea of looking online for instructions. I had never expected a motherboard manual to be this helpful. I'd bookmarked a ton of guides on Dabs. But there is no way in a million years they could compare with the straightforward instructions in this manual. It's simply brilliant.

And of course the motherboard itself is great. There are plenty of ports. There are 6 SATA III ports. I only needed one for the moment. There are two PCI Express ports. Again, only needed one for the moment. And four RAM slots. Again, only needed one for the moment(Though I do slightly regret not buying another DIMM. Would have helped. I only have 4GB at the moment, which I thought would suffice)

And the best thing about this motherboard? The fast boot feature. I did not expect it to work on a non-SSD. But trust me, you do not need an SSD to benefit from this feature. Windows 8 boots in a maximum of 5 or 6 seconds. It never takes longer than that. It's awesome.

I've had no issues so far.

To conclude, this is a fantastic motherboard and a worthy purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome motherboard, 26 Feb 2013
Joshua (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This motherboard is pretty good! I bought it primarily because it was the only one I could get on next day delivery, which would support both my crossfire graphics cards, and the new AMD 8350 Vishera CPU I bought with it. There were a few more things considered, e.g the fact that I may want to have a lot of hard drives at some point (I do a lot of movie editing, so yeah, storage needed), and the fact that I might want external hard drives running on USB3. This having a few PCI-e x1 slots is useful, as is the crossfire support. My other condition is that it needed to have 4 RAM slots, again due to the nature of what I do I need to basically throw power at the computer to get results and work out of it.

My only complaint is that the panel supplied is about 1mm off, though this could be my case, I suspect it's just me being incredibly fussy.

Definitely worth the extra 30 or so over the basic models, and highly recommended to anyone looking to get a power station set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Motherboard!, 8 Jun 2013
Good sturdy motherboard

x2 PCI-E for crossfire!

Internal USB 3.0 Header!

Seriously buy this motherboard, its a very high end motherboard for 70!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth considering if it fits in with your build, 26 Nov 2013
C. O'Connor "xen0phon" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have always loved the look of motherboards. I used to think they looked like tiny cities as a kid with motorways and buildings going everywhere, but I never would have said they were beautiful until I got this ASUS. Let's be honest, colour schemes are not your first priority when buying something that is most likely to end up being hidden inside of a box, but when you see this for the first time it is certainly a striking piece of kit.

Now, with that mental wandering out of the way here are my thoughts about this board, hopefully they will help you with your decision as the previous comments helped me.

This is an ATX board, so it's a bit more serious in terms of ability than my previous mini-itx builds, but it's still a motherboard and all of the connections are there and will be similar to you if you have ever built your own pc. A couple of features it does have on the board are:

MemOk! button - Actually forgot to use this before setting up so can't comment on it's usefulness but it it supposed to make incompatible memory work with the board.
Bios directkey - Pressing this will bring you to the Bios if you have had some (mis)adventures in overclocking

I made a mistake when plugging my connectors to the board as the CPU power (12v Non-Atx?) connector near the i/o ports has space for an 8-pin connector, as my PSU had an 8 pin connector lying around I went ahead and plugged it in. Naturally this was incorrect and had me wondering what the hell was going on after nothing happened when I turned it on for the first time. I was so sure that there was nothing wrong with the power connectors that I took everything else apart twice to find the problem. If I hadn't have tested the board with another PSU the night before i would have sent this back as DOA, that is until I noticed a little 4 pin connector that seemed to have been hidden until I was on the verge of tears and appeared at just the right moment. Please choose the 4 pin connector if you have one available as this will save you much gnashing of teeth and laying blame on a perfectly good piece of equipment! (It's actually ASUS' fault for giving me so many lovely options)!

Ok back to the review, I'll bullet point it from here on:

Board -

Excellent build quality
Painless setup if you are not too eager/cocky
Good options on the board itself if things should go wrong
Has a USB bios flash utility that allows for the BIOS to be flashed using only the PSU power, which is very useful.

BIOS -

Pros
Easy to navigate
Snappy
Clear instructions
Shortcuts for key functions like boot preferences

Cons
Doesn't auto-fit to the screen so you may find that the edges are missing (It didn't take away from the functions but some may find this annoying)

ASUS features (one of the main reasons I bought the board):

AI suite = Very good (All of the below options are in the AI suite)
Remote Go! - This is brilliant, it only works if your PC is connected to your router though so bear that in mind if like me this wasn't the case initially), DLNA streaming works flawlessly as does remote desktop and extended screen. Really just very useful.
Fan Expert - Allows for different settings for each fan attached to the board and enables me to have a near silent rig

And lastly Turbo V:
ASUS really has made an excellent tool here, if you have ever wanted to overclock but were always a little bit apprehensive this tool is the one for you. My previous experience with oc'ing was with am AMD A5(?)-3500 which i got to 3.5 stable with what i consider to be Herculean effort and not a few lost functions along the way (Couldn't access BIOS afterwards without a CMOS reset, yikes)! ASUS has turned this terrifying uncertainty into a simple click of a button.
It has two settings High (I think it's called, but sounds reasonable enough) and Extreme. I tested High first to see what this would do and got from 3.5 to 3.8gbz in approx 2 minutes, not too bad! Encouraged I tried extreme next and as the machine got on with things I was presented with a screen showing me how high the OC was getting and with loads of power dials with wildly swinging virtual needles indicating how much power and effort was being used, which was good to know as I heard nothing from the machine itself...
I watched this in amazement as the clock kept climbing, higher and higher it went until it got to 4.2ghz(!), at this point i was beyond excitement as I have never had a clock that high before (Is giddy the right word here)? Once it hit 4.2 and was going though the stability tests it finally succumbed and restarted. As soon as it got back to the AI suite i was told that the clock was set at 3.9ghz. I was naturally disappointed after what I had just witnessed so i ran it again and this time got 4.1 stable and it has been running like that for the last two days no problem...I am deliriously happy with that!

I'm using an AMD FX-6300, so it has an unlocked multiplier and the turbo should go to 4ghz easily anyway, but that's not the point. The point is that I pressed 'go' 3 times and the ASUS board did this for me, no fear on my part, no messing around, just did it. That for me is the greatest thing ASUS has done ever and another reason I love this board.

5 out of 5, no question

Closing -

There are plenty of other boards out there and most are cheaper, but I have owned some of these makes at one point or another and can safely say that this ASUS is now my preferred board manufacturer. Everything feels as though it was designed to work together and in harmony, the AI suite is comprehensive and provides a significant amount of utility vs. other boards offerings and

A few years ago I would have scoffed at some of this review and would have said that the author was just lazy/technically inept (points which may be true) and should always do the manual version of everything. But nowadays I just think why put myself through that effort when there are tools available that can do the job for you? If that sounds like something you are interested in, then I'm not sure you'll find better tools that the ones ASUS is offering here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mobo for under 60, 23 Feb 2014
Edan Kimmins (Airdrie , Scotland) - See all my reviews
This motherboard offers great overclock-friendly premium features which you normally only find on triple figure boards. VRM heatsinks and a commendable 4+2 power phase make for a great board on a budget for people who intend to squeeze as much performance out of their system as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the money, 20 Feb 2014
Built a pc about a month ago now. This is an excellent motherboard for the price and had no problems.
I would recommend installing the latest BIOS on before turning the pc for ease.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive motherboard!, 19 Jan 2014
Very good comprehensive motherboard. Looks substantial and well made. Loads of Inputs and outputs to satisfy most needs needs, including usb3. Can see the need for more PCIe sockets at some stage. Graphics card will use one PCIe 16x socket, and large card covers a PCIE 2x slot as well. Leaves only one more of each for other cards. Still has another two PCI slots though. Would be 5 stars except for alignment issues between the back panel supplied and the on-board components. Down to tolerances of position of soldered sockets. Works well though! No problems. Very good sound capability, but bought a sound card as well. Not sure I needed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars works with fx 8320, 3 Jan 2014
Had a worry when building my PC that the fx 8320 won't work been have to be honest have it over a month now and all is running well the bios is set out nice and is handy for over clocking if needed all in all a good board

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty dam good for the Money!, 21 Dec 2013
My only comment is I spent ages trying to install W7 onto a new ssd drive connected to sata 1 on the board. It failed evey time on the reboot. It worked fine after I installed with it connected to sata 2. after installation reconnected to sata 1 it works great.
There are a few errors in the book that came with the board but loads of extra information.
Note if you want to flash the bios using a usb stick take note! it must be fat 32 and must be 1gb or less to be recognized (this info is not in the book).
running an overclocked FX4350 @ 4.6ghz it works like a dream!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, just perfect, 31 Oct 2013
This motherboard is absolutely perfect!
Love the BIOS, really advanced and even the software's you get with it (for example fan controller etc).
Also the fact that it has so many SATA3 links, makes it perfect.