5.0 out of 5 stars The efficacy of layers has always eluded me, but ...
Published 3 months ago by Yours Truly

Published 3 months ago by R. V. Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a shame because this book might have been a good buy but as it is I wish I had ..., 2 Nov. 2014
R. V. Harris (UK West Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gimped! Gimp Tutorials - All About Layers (Gimped! Gimp Essentials Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
To be honest, I feel cheated. The book is written, and I purchased it, on the basis that the images used in the book are downloadable. These images would have enabled the reader to follow and replicate all of the examples in the book. To my mind actually doing the exercises oneself is quite important rather than just reading about it.When you are doing it yourself and things don't work,you know you haven't grasped the principle and you can go back, reread and try again. Be that as it may, the book promises downloadable images when they are not available.
It's a shame because this book might have been a good buy but as it is I wish I had purchased one of the other excellent guides from other authors that are available.

5.0 out of 5 stars The efficacy of layers has always eluded me, but ..., 18 Nov. 2014
Yours Truly (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
The efficacy of layers has always eluded me, but, as my need for more control over my publications has increased, so the appropriate section at my local library has taken a hit. Then, when I found 'All About Layers', voila! I downloaded Kindle to my PC, spent £4.50 on the Kindle edition, and 'grasped the nettle'! It is pitched in a friendly and interactive way, and although I'm not a GIMP user, my software offers an equivalent method to enable me to follow the processes through and see the resulting effects. In my case - value for money and enlightening - hope it will be for you. Regards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gimp Layers, 13 July 2013
I am a very experienced user of Adobe Photoshop and have what I understand is the last standalone version of the product in CS6. Being retired and having given copious amounts of money over the years to Adobe for products and upgrades, I have no intention of joining their "Cloud" offering. Eventually my CS6 may become less functional so time to look for an alternative and the GIMP offers most. The key to PS is the use of layers so I needed a guide just to understand any differences between the 'PS Way' and the 'GIMP Way' of handling layers so this was an excellent 'book' for my purposes. To make it more convenient, I bought it as a Kindle ebook to load on my netbook to refer to whilst I worked on the GIMP software using a full size PC.

One final thought: Because I have been using 'layers' for years and that is why I bought this, whether someone new to the concept would get 'instant enlightenment' from this book I don't know for sure but I think they would, it is well written.